What's new

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) (1 Viewer)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Fifth Element was stupid all over, but funny, and good-looking stupid. What I'm saying is maybe he should consider script more than production design. Maybe he can make a good SF movie, if the budget is small enough ;)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just checked the release dates and you get this one week early! :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Don't know how good this will be but I still think this will be a tremendous epic flop. Worse than King Arthur.

I'll still see it of course.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Wow, being pretty harsh before it is even out... :) I'm actually looking forward to it. I think it should be a very pretty movie if nothing else.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When does it open? This Friday? I definitely want to take a look at it. 5th Element was goofy and had a stupid ending, but it was still highly entertaining for the visuals and score.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Maybe even worse than Jupiter Ascending? ;)
I doubt anything can be worse than Juliter Ascending.

Again my comment had nothing to do with how good or bad the film might actually be.

I just think it will tank HUGE. it just has that vibe.

I would love to be wrong.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nope. Battlefield Earth waaay better imo.

Seriously......Jupiter Descending was the worst film I've seen in many years.

I was going to go and see it, but I skipped it when the reviews were almost universally negative. I'll rent it and see if it is really as bad as everyone says it is. Sometimes, I feel people pile on to a film because everyone else is doing it.

If films that at least try to do something original (such as this one) keep flopping then people should stop bitching about Hollywood's lack of originality in producing endless retreads and sequels. I don't care how bad this flick MIGHT turn out. At least it is not the umpteenth remake of Ben-Hur or an unneeded sequel like Blade Runner 2049.

Edit: Fixed typo caused by auto-correct. Can't figure why this thing would replace Ben-Hur with Ben Gurion.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh. And thanks to you guys who let me know about the opening date. For some reason, I thought it was coming out in May.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I was going to go and see it, but I skipped it when the reviews were almost universally negative. I'll rent it and see if it is really as bad as everyone says it is. Sometimes, I feel people pile on to a film because everyone else is doing it.

If films that at least try to do something original (such as this one) keep flopping then people should stop bitching about Hollywood's lack of originality in producing endless retreads and sequels. I don't care how bad this flick MIGHT turn out. At least it is not the umpteenth remake of Ben-Hur or an unneeded sequel like Blade Runner 2049.

Amen, I thought Jupiter Ascending was not too bad. Personally I think people hated on it way too much, but as I say each to there own. Heck as picky as some people are on this site I wonder what the heck they watch in their home theater. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Edit: Fixed typo caused by auto-correct. Can't figure why this thing would replace Ben-Hur with Ben Gurion.
What looks original about Valerian?

To me It looks like countless other sci-fi films like Jupiter, Fifth Element, Battlefield Earth etc...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By original, I mean it is its own property. It isn't a prequel, sequel, remake, or reboot. Whether all of those films you mentioned share elements that make them look the same to you doesn't make them any less original in that they have original characters and settings.

The fact that film makers lean heavily toward action-adventure Sci-Fi, rather than cerebral SF is just due to the visual nature of the medium, and the fact that, historically, those types of films will outperform "brainy" SF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks