What's new

Vacationing in Cuba (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
In about a year and a half, I will be graduating from HighSchool, and a small group of friends and myself are currently trying to plan a vacation for our graduation. Of all the ideas and suggestions, we seem to have settled upon Cuba. The problem is, we don't know where exactly in Cuba we want to go.

I'm not too sure about the whole United States and Cuba policy (and don't really want to get into, to keep the thread open), but if anyone has any suggestions on which parts of the country are the best to visit, I would love to hear them. We would most likely be looking for all inclusive hotels/resorts.

Also, I would appreciate it if you could point me towards any websites or the like in which I can learn more about my possible stay in cuba, and check out prices for airfare, etc.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I credit you for starting your planning early, why not just contact a travel agency? Since Cuba is a very popular travel destination for Canadians there should be a lot of information available for you.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

Thank you Patrick. I just want to make sure this is a vacation to remember. I will eventually contact the local travel agency, but right now I'm just working on some preliminary information so I know what I'm talking about. Plus, I gotta present this to the parents (I aint paying all by myself;))

Dustin, I think if we do end up going, we'll want to party a bit, but most likely at whatever the parties the hotel/resort will be having, as I don't think we'll want to travel alone in the country. We had a long conversation about this a while ago, brining up places like Whistler BC, backpacking through Europe, and even a trip to Malta (one of my friends if Maltese, with family in Malta). Cuba, however seemed to be the most appealing for some reason.

Thanks for the link.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I just got back from Cuba.
We stayed at a really nice hotel that was near varadero.
It's a nice enough place, the service wasn't exactly great but everyone was friendly.
The food is subpar though, no doubt about it. We stayed at what was billed as a 4star resort but the food at every meal was described by all in our party as "off". Hard to describe how, just everything seemed to be salty to disguise the real taste.
The thing about most resorts in cuba is that they're all inclusive, so they have their own private beaches, restaurants, bars, etc. But you can also go on day "trips" to Havana, Jeef safaris, and things like that. Those trips range from about 39-109 bucks depending on the time you're away, whether or not they include meals and things like that.
Sorry I don't remember the exact name of our hotel, I'll look it up next time I'm at home.
I do know that you can get a week all-inclusive for cheaper than pretty much anywhere else in the world, that should be your selling point to your parents:D
If you have any specific questions ask them here or look me up on a messenger service.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I thought it was funny when I saw a billboard advertising Cuba as a vacation spot when I was in Canada. Its not something you see here. I have this idea in my head that communist countries don't allow vacations.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I think that most americans feel that cuba wouldnt make a good vacation for whatever reason. I for one though would love to go.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Thank you for the words Mark.

From the advice of Dustin, I looked up on a local travel website, iTravel2000 how much a 14 day all inclusive beachfront vacation would cost around July of this year (as we'll most likely be going in July of next year ). It was only $1500 CDN, and up.

About the food, I always take hotel food very carefully, trying to make sure it's all well cooked, and not perished food.

About the day trips; We most likely wouldn't do those. Maybe only one. I think we would have more fun just hanging and doing the resort activities.

Thank you for the responses.

Mark, I'm going to add you to MSN so I can ask you more questions as they arise.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, What does Cuba offer that other Carribean destinations lack? I'm just curious. Based on the responses you've gathered from people who have been there, it sounds like the place basically sucks, especially if compared to places like Cancun and the Cayman Islands. A Cancun vacation can be had for cheap...lots of all-inclusive hotels with great food, great service, and billions of girls. Just a suggestion. Wherever you go, have a great time ;) Dave

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, since you're Canadian, I don't really see why that would be an issue. :)

But why bother with Cuba? Why not come here to Florida, like so many of your countrymen do at this time of year? (One of our local radio stations carries a weekly show called "Canada Calling" with all the news and sports highlights for the past seven days. :))

The nightlife in Little Havana is a lot more exciting than that in the original, the food infinitely better, the service outstanding and the exchange rate is getting pretty good for you guys. The tourist biz still hasn't recovered from the twin blows of the 2000/2001 recession an 9/11, so we could really use the business.

Regards,

Joe
Community Booster ;)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Joseph, as much as we would really enjoy going to Florida, we really want to go somewhere new. My friends and I have been to Florida countless times, so it's really a lot of the same thing.

Dave, as to why we're so set on Cuba, I'm not too sure. It just seems to stand out. Seeing as we still have a good year and a half, no details are strictly set yet, so we could end up going somewhere completely different. I'm just wondering what the fellow members think of our temporary decision.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
1500.00 CDN for 14 days all-inclusive ? Even with bad food that is a pretty tough deal to beat anywhere in the Caribbean or States. We just spent a couple nights in Nassau at an "all-inclusive" and it was wretched at 250.00 per night.

Last year was Beaches at Turks&Caicos at 5k for a week. Decent food, good service and great water sports (diving was included), but a bit pricey.

How much is airfare from Canada to Cuba ?

Have Fun !

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

From what I've heard, price and a little bit less of a touristy feel. The price is negated for US travellers, because you usually have to fly to another airport (Mexico City is one of the more common) and then purchase another flight over to Cuba.

If you are going upon your graduation, you might want to consider the heat while backpacking, cause in June its gonna be scorching. If it was me, I'd do Europe since the backpacking/partying would be much easier, plus a bit more varied in terms of scenery.

Fodors has some interesting stuff, I'm sure a travel agent might be able to provide more specific info:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=ove

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Ya, our place cost about 1,500 for one week but it was among the more expensive places.

i still can't remember what the resort was called but i know it was part of the sol melia chain. i just remember a lot of the help had shirts that said solmelia.com on, man they were ugly shirts.

we flew down on westjet which sucked because there wasn't a movie and i didn't bring enough stuff to read...the ride home was boring. plus there was about a 60degree temperature shift from where I woke up to when i fell asleep. Stupid edmonton and the minus 30 degree weather.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
I travel every 3 weeks during the winter months and my advice is NOT to go to Cuba if your going with friends.
Go to Cancun.
Cuba is great if your going with family or girlfriend.
Don't expect nightlife at any of the hotels....there dead after 8pm. All hotels put on lame shows, but thats it.
99% of resorts have discos...but they NEVER open until 11:30 and there empty all night.

I just got back from Cancun on Tuesday and wow. Went with 3 buddies..were all 26 and there things we saw/did would blow most peoples minds.
Earliest we came home was 6am...most of the time, only 1 of us would actually come back to room lol.

Now that my cancun trip is done, i'm off to the Mayan Riveria on the 20th with my girlfriend.....the best place in the world by far.

If you really want to party...Ibiza Spain the summer months. I'm going with 3 friends in June. Spain is CRAZY. We go every year and can't get enough.

I really think you will regret going to cuba if your looking for any type of fun nightlife.
Give Cancun a chance if you want to party/have sex EVERY night 100%, sun, decent food, great beach.
You can't beat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks