What's new

Using Test tones in Pre amp vs Test Tones through DVD Player (Avia/VE) (1 Viewer)

Kirk Mango

Stunt Coordinator
I have my system set up using the Test tones of my B&K Ref30. Is this equal to setting the system up using the Avia disk test tones? Also, I set my sub (Rel Storm III) up using the LFE test tone from pre amp as well, about 2-3 db lower then the pink noise test tones used for my other speakers. Everything is set as close to 0 on the Ref30 individual speaker volumes (Range +.5dB to -2.5dB) This gives me an SPL reading of 74dB (sub72dB)at my listening position. Would it have been better to calibrate my system using the AVIA test tones and if so, why? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Kirk

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I think the tones coming from a DVD are more accurate than the reciever ones.

Think of it this way, you balance your speakers so when you watch a DVD they are balanced. So wouldn't it make sence that you balance your speakers from media coming from your DVD player?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The Avia or VE test signals will be better, but it may not make a big difference. Try to borrow or rent it first to see if you reciever is close. If your reciever is very close, it might not be worth $50 for the disc. But then again, Avia or VE will calibrate your TV as well, and come in very handy.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I have just gone through the comparison a couple of days ago (Sony TA-9000ES, Video Essentials). I could not detect any difference. Of course, your mileage may vary, but what Kevin has said about extra tests will still hold true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks