What's new

Used 2 ch amp in $300 range? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
Right now I have pioneer 811s, and Infinity Interlude front and surround and interlude center. I just want to add a 2 ch amp to see if it improves the sound quality(not loudness) of my 2 ch music, dont care much about HT, any suggestions for $300 max?(used), i was looking at some nad 214 or adcom gfa-545 on audiogon. Your help would be really appreciated.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I bought used Adcom 545IIs from Ebay, and can be had at less than $250. Mated well with my HK520. I have Interlude speakers, but not on the system the Adcom is on.

JohnS

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
There are minor diff between them. The 545II is just the newer model, and better chance that the electrolytics caps are still good.

JohnS

KyleGS

Second Unit
Look for the M series power amps from Yamaha. You can get them on eBAY for $200-400. I bought the M-70 for $200 and could not be happier. Look for the M-60, M-65, M-70, M-80, M-85, MX-1000

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd also advise the AudioSource Amp3. The 535 is good amp that will sound a little harsh at louder volumes (at least the version 1 that I have).

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, there is only one on Ebay now: 545II
There is usually more and expect once we get past the holidays, it will pick back up.

The 535 I beleive, puts out less watts, around 60 per channel.

JohnS

SeanDM

Agent
I also have the 811s but paired with a Dahlquist 5.1 set up. I just added an Audiosource Amp 2 for the fronts that I got for $249 shipped from J&R through Amazon. Overall, I like it. It is low profile so it fits well on my shelves with room overhead to keep it cool.

I definitely notice more substantial and cleaner sound from my QX8's, but I haven't really tested it with a DVD yet, just stereo sources. The only issue I have is the auto switch capability. When listening at low volumes it would cycle on and off as it picked up the weak signal. I had to set it to manual to avoid this.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Quote:
how are the hafler amps? I saw couple used for very good price, I beleive it was 200 or 220.

I have a couple of 2 channel Hafler amps that I purchased new back in the early 80's. I believe they are the DH200 models.

I still use them today and they sound great!

They are rated at 100w per channel. However, Hafler at that time used very conservative ratings. I remember seeing a review in Stereo Review when I bought them that said at 8ohms their output was 125 watts continuous, and about twice that at 4 ohms. Dynamic power (short term peaks) measured from about 250 watts at 8 ohms to almost 500 watts at 2 ohms!

These amps have served me very well over the past 20+ years and I wouldn't hesiate to recommend them.

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks