USB Hub vs. USB Port Additions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dome Vongvises, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Like many CPU users, I'm running out of USB ports. I thought about adding a card to my CPU and adding ports that way. However, I was told it was a much better/cheaper decision to buy a powered hub. Are there advantages/disadvantages to either choice?

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Dome:

I have a powered USB hub and it works great. I chose it as a matter of convienience so I didn't have to open up my box. Either way would be fine but I do believe that a powered version would be less taxing on your PC as the USB ports take resources from the power supply. As powered version would not use any system resources.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You have to watch out for USB hubs that do not come with their own power brick.

Some devices need to pull extra power and Windows will complain. Other devices just don't like hubs very much - and there could be issues with mice and keyboards not being recognized by the BIOS upon bootup (if you need to get to the BIOS screen or are using a Boot CD or floppy) if they are attached to a hub.

Your mileage may vary. [​IMG]

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've been using a powered USB 1 hub for a few years. As it's powered, it can then power other devices -- charging my PDA. I don't think unpowered hubs can do this. Because it is external to the PC, it can be placed and accessed more conveniently than the PC's rear-panel connectors.

If you need more USB connectors, a powered hub is a good solution.