What's new

UPS Sucks. Throw mine in the mailbox, please. (1 Viewer)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
The good news is that my package finally arrived. :)
The bad news is that it looks like it was run over by a truck.
frown.gif

The 'Traffic' DVD box is broken in the top corner and the 'Point Break' DVD box rattles!
Anyway, I've emailed Amazon about it and await their reply.
------------------
Marianne
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here,
this is the War Room Home Theater Forum!"

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Couple of weeks ago I got an $850 shipment of CD burner and blank CD-Rs dropped at the (open) gate by UPS. It rained that night and there was a puddle on top of my carton when I found it the next morning. I don't think any harm was done 'cause the thing was double boxed, but still. I don't do that to my customers. There are no dogs at my place and when you get to my gate you're in sight of 2two2 porches to set things on.
I had inquired about USPS shipment but that was gonna be a lot of trouble for this particular vender.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Well, Jim, if you are seeking a rare and precious moment for your work to be appreciated, I guess you've found it! :)
And I'm sure you would be totally objective about your experience with UPS!
wink.gif

I'm sure a UPS employee's comments would also be welcome here. Any shipment handler/HTF member earns some extra points since they appreciate Home Theater!
Thanks to the carriers of our precious DVDs - especially those who get them to us on time in shape for a fair price! The days of coupon crazies couldn't have happened without you folk!
------------------
  • May you be happy and well!

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Just in case anyone's still interested Amazon got back to me saying they would re-order the 2 DVDs but that it would be 2-3 days for 'Traffic' and 1-2 weeks for 'Point Break'.
So I told them to cancel the order and that I would just send the damaged ones back for a refund (this was at 9.43).
At 12.33 I get an email saying they've shipped both DVDs by UPS 2 day air!
I wonder where they got them from - I hope they didn't take them from someone else's order! :)
------------------
Marianne

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I stopped using Amazon for DVD pre-orders because
1) They often didn't ship until several days after street date
2) The usualy used UPS
UPS takes twice as long to arrive and they lie to you.
One time I was home in the afternoon and checked their web site for a package status and it said something like "Recipient not in on first Delivery attempt" the time stamp was from 10 minutes previously and I had been in for hours GRRRR!
I now use use another retailer and I always use USPS Priority. I get my packages on Monday like clockwork! I would consider also using Amazon if I had this option and if they actually shipped the packages before the street date. Post Edited by Administrator
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members,
Please don't name retailers that break street dates even if it's only one day because like you, I want to continue to get my dvds as quickly as possible and secondly, this forum is monitored by the studios and we don't want to get our favorite retailer in trouble for getting our orders to us in such a timely manner. Thank you.
Crawdaddy

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I also don't like UPS. I really like Amazon, but it pisses me off they don't offer USPS Priority. Priority takes 2 days during 95% of the year, and the 5% of the other time it takes 3 days, and only because of holidays.
UPS sucks, USPS rules.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Maybe we should all email Amazon saying we won't order anything else from them until they offer a choice between USPS and UPS.
(Of course, if a USPS Priority Mail package gets lost you have no proof.)
------------------
Marianne

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
> (Of course, if a USPS Priority Mail package gets
> lost you have no proof.)
That's not entirely true. Most retailers who ship USPS Priority use the Delivery Confirmation option, which tags the package with a tracking number. While not as technically advanced as FedEx or UPS, the tracking information lists pickup and delivery with times.
Link Removed

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I know but Amazon doesn't use the 'delivery confirmation' option when they ship Priority Mail. :)
------------------
Marianne

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
UPS says your package must be able to take a fall of four feet without damage. I have a friend who unloads/loads at a UPS terminal. He says they routinely push everything out the back door onto a conveyer belt. Most packages at the top fall at least 10 feet to the conveyer belt (unless they miss and hit the ground). I asked "what about stuff marked fragile"? He replied "Doesn't matter. We have X minutes to get the truck unloaded.".
-Robert

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
It rained that night and there was a puddle on top of my carton when I found it the next morning.
I think to be fair, I should mention that I've frequently received packages from the USPS that are falling apart from being left in the rain. This has always puzzled me as I have a mail box and they carry them in an enclosed truck! The last time this happened to me was with the Muppet Movie. Thankfully, DVD's are wrapped in plastic so water can't really damage them.
I prefer UPS because their tracking system works better. The online tracking from the USPS is useless because it tells you absolutely nothing except for that it was shipped and if it arrived. My only problem with UPS is if you have something delivered to your home address! What a nightmare it can be to actually get the package.
--adrian

Mike Myers

Auditioning
I just used DeepDiscountDVD again to avoid UPS, but now they have switched their carrier:
(Please note: I'm talking about the priority shipping option for $3.95, since I don't want to wait 2 weeks for my package. The free shipping is still USPS Media Mail.)
I had a package shipped via UPS Ground today. They ALWAYS used USPS Priority Mail before! The tracking page says: Scheduled Delivery June 22. That would be three business days. USPS needs two. Is this scheduled delivery date reliable? Can I expect my package on Friday?
------------------

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
Can I expect my package on Friday?
You probably have about an 85% chance of getting it on Friday. I have had delivery dates missed a few times.
------------------
"If you set aside Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, the safety record of nuclear is really very good." Paul O'Neill, Treasury Secretary.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
With UPS, Fridays are a toss up. It seems the only things I ever get on Friday are boxes that I should have received on Thursday... If I'm supposed to get it on Friday, I usually get it on Monday. But if it's something I'm supposed to get on Monday, I get it on Monday. UPS just likes making me wait over the weekend for stuff I should have received before.
angry.gif

------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks