What's new

Upgrading the Center Channel - Opinions? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyZ

Grip
My home theatre has Cambridge Soundworks speakers. The Fronts are Ensemble IIs. The Center Channel is the CSW Center Channel II. It seems my system would benefit from a better "anchor". I am never missing any surround sound action, but I think the dialogue could sound better / fuller.

I am looking at the JBL EC35 or the Yamaha NS-C225. I am worried about the idea of "matching" the center to the fronts.

The video is 92" projection screen (Sanyo Z4)...so it seems the presentation calls for something more..

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Sound-wise CSW speakers are usually on the warm side, so personally I wouldn't advise using the Yamaha. The JBL would be better.

Personally I would go for the largest center possible:

1) because male voices will be reproduced more realistically

2) there is SO much happening in the center (even when crossed over at 80Hz there is still *lots* of bass-oriented stuff going on in that channel).

Even if you were using a much smaller monitor, I would give the same advice but with an image that big..........:eek:

How about this one from CSW, the MC500:

Alan M

Second Unit
Tonal matching the 3 front speakers is very important.Purchasing a center from Yamaha or JBL ,and hoping it matches is hit or miss at best.

Without a match,you'll disrupt your front soundstage.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I'm with LanceJ on this one. Especially with the 45 day return policy. No doubt in my mind that you will get a much fuller sound with the MC500. Dialogue intelligibility is a really tricky thing though. While it would not match your other speakers, if I was going for dialogue intelligibility, the M&K Center-750 THX Select with its tweeter, woofer, woofer design is said, by M&K, to provide "incredible vocal articulation" would be high on my wish list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks