What's new

Emotiva BasX A3 or Marantz MM7205? (1 Viewer)

Jamers88

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Upgrading my Home Theater hardware. Ordered the Onkyo RZ50 which is coming next week but and still trying to decide between the Emotiva BasX A3 and the Marantz MM7205 to power the Fronts (and maybe Center).

Here are some specs:

Emotiva BasX A3 ($499) 3-Channel
  • 140 watts RMS per channel @ 8 Ohms, 0.1% THD
  • SNR > 112 dB; ref rated power; (A-weighted)
  • Class A/B
Marantz MM7205 ($999) 2-Channel
  • 140 watts RMS per channel @ 8 Ohms, 0.08% THD
  • SNR 105 dB
  • Class A/B
Any opinions on whether the Marantz amp is better than the Emotiva amp? I don't mind paying more if I'm actually getting better quality and better sounds. It's worth noting that the Emotiva components are manufactured in China and the Marantz is made in Japan. Will be powering Polk Audio 8 Ohms speakers.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Personally I wouldn't consider Marantz for something as basic as a Class A/B power amp. You'll likely be paying a premium just for the name. You also haven't said anything about your speakers. That information could go a long way in making worthwhile recommendations.

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
BasX A3 review
Sounds like the a3 would be a good match w/ warm full bodied speakers because of the level of clarity and separation, while a Marantz would sound better w/ very detailed and clear speakers, even thin or bright speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks