What's new

Upcoming slate of 4k & BD releases 2021 (all studios) (2 Viewers)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
The original Mad Max was a hit pretty much everywhere except America, where it received a limited release, so in most parts of the world, the second film was known as Mad Max 2, while in North America it was retitled The Road Warrior, as Mad Max meant nothing to audiences then.
Mad Max 2 it was released in 70mm in some cities. Wasn't the original Mad Max film dubbed into American as U.S. audiences were unable to understand the Australian lingo.?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
It's also worth saying that the "problem" with "Stephen King" movies is that people immediately assume they are horror films. Which is completely understandable because most of them are. But I would argue that the two best "Stephen King" movies are ones that aren't horror: The Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me.
Last time I watched A CLOCKWOOK ORANGE it looked very dated. Definitely not a film that could be made to-day. It is however ,still a masterpiece and was way ahead of it's time when originally released. The ending differed from the book on which it was based.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Mad Max 2 it was released in 70mm in some cities. Wasn't the original Mad Max film dubbed into American as U.S. audiences were unable to understand the Australian lingo.?
Yes. All the Aussie slang was removed. "Oi!", was turned into "Hey!", "proby!" to "rookie", and "very toey" to "super hot".

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Last time I watched A CLOCKWOOK ORANGE it looked very dated. Definitely not a film that could be made to-day. It is however ,still a masterpiece and was way ahead of it's time when originally released. The ending differed from the book on which it was based.
ACO is one of my all-time top films.

The reason it differed from the ending of the book was because Kubrick had read it in its American edition. That edition left out the final chapter, because the American editor didn't think American readers would accept the idea that Alex would simply grow out of his "ultraviolent" ways. In the US, the novel didn't add that missing chapter back in until the mid-80s. Prior to the publication of the complete novel, that missing chapter was published in an issue of Rolling Stone.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wow- Clockwork, Road Warrior and From Dusk Till Dawn! The Alliance release of FDTD isn’t pretty, so UHD should be a huge improvement.
Hopefully the UHD will include the commentary by Rodriquez and Tarantino, and the other supplements of the original
letterboxed DVD.

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
I keep reading about people wanting 4K versions of movies already on Blu-Ray. Seems like the thing we should be asking for are new versions BluRay and 4K of films not issued that way.

Like "Around The World in 80 Days" a 1958 classic that is only out on DVD. For what I have seen it was remastered quite a few years ago, but that version is only showing on Turner Classic Movies. It is available for purchase on Amazon and such, but I don't know if the one they us is the remastered version or the old DVD.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes. All the Aussie slang was removed. "Oi!", was turned into "Hey!", "proby!" to "rookie", and "very toey" to "super hot
I didn’t know there was an American language dubbed track for Road Warrior.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
April 2021. Changing title of this thread to make it all-inclusive

139385455_10225527579287027_2131899426410049582_o.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Out of the three mentioned for 4K blu-ray release I will only be buying The Shawshank Redemption and Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

Looking forward to the following 4K releases:
Super 8 5/4/21
They Live 1/19/21
2012 1/19/21
Elysium 2/9/21
Ten Commandments 3/30/21
Spaceballs 4/13/21
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly 4/27/21
My Fair Lady 5/4/21

Last edited:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Nothing there for me. :rolleyes: I would rather see in 4K UHD.......Ben-Hur, North By Northwest, King of Kings, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, The Wild Bunch, Singin in the Rain, Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Mutiny on the Bounty '62, and Gone With The Wind. These are Great movies that Deserve a 4K UHD release. :D
For me 4k doesn't really add anything from an increased resolution - it's the HDR. How should it work for 'classic' films like this where the director or DP may no longer be around? Who should decide where and how HDR is applied or should it even be? I'm torn about movies like this. Without HDR it doesn't really make sense to have a movie released to 4K, but for movies like these is it right to apply HDR without involvement from the filmmakers?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There isn't. The person Kevin was replying to asked "Wasn't the original Mad Max film dubbed into American as U.S. audiences were unable to understand the Australian lingo.?"
Ah- I didn’t see that part in the question. It took years before the proper audio track of Mad Max was released here. It’s a better track than the dubbed one.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For me 4k doesn't really add anything from an increased resolution - it's the HDR. How should it work for 'classic' films like this where the director or DP may no longer be around? Who should decide where and how HDR is applied or should it even be? I'm torn about movies like this. Without HDR it doesn't really make sense to have a movie released to 4K, but for movies like these is it right to apply HDR without involvement from the filmmakers?

I imagine a proper, respectful approach akin to restoration could serve well toward that, particularly if the BD format is actually not quite capable enough to be faithful (enough) to the source, eg. maybe BD doesn't have quite enough dynamic range or fine tonal gradation in some cases (though I don't know which cases myself).

The 4K format also brings wider color gamut and potential for generally greater color fidelity even if HDR isn't used... plus higher bitrates as well.

But yeah, problem is whether those producing the releases would actually do so faithfully to the original intent of the filmmakers. Paramount certainly seems very hit-and-miss, and unfortunately, at least the 4K digital of MFL seems to be a miss... and of course, not just 4K releases when it comes to Paramount, eg. To Catch A Thief on recent BD...

The problem isn't new. Just that now we can add HDR to their toolkit that allows them to either yield greater quality and fidelity or shoot us all in the foot instead...

_Man_

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I do not think it is much of an issue when we go with the previously attained look and gently open up the dynamic range to ad a bit of HDR into the mix. Hard to go wrong with that and imo this is the approach that should always be taken with classic movies to respect their intended look.

If you take a movie like Spartacus you have in my opinion a good example of what HDR can do:

We have moderately improved dynamic range which builds upon the previous grading that was excellent and on top of that the aspects that bring more or less visible improvements to every UHD release:

higher bitrate with a more efficient codec which means the UHD can be even more transparent to the spource
bigger color space -> in practive it mostly helps with deeper shades of red and gold
Higher luma resolution -> often not that important for older titles but it is of value with Spartacus
higher chroma resolution -> going from 960 x 540 to 1920 x 1080 is quite significant although this is less visible due to our low sensitivity to chroma resolution

I would not include the increased bit depth by the way as with the higher dynamic range it is more of a necessity than a feature.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
4k is the same as 1080p (and DVD), there are some excellent discs (both old and new) which make the most of the format and then there are some poor ones. Overall, i love the format. 2001 on my Panny OLED 65 is a sight to behold.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
The Wizard oF Oz With HDR looked pretty amazing. The golden-baked hue that was in the first release for BR. I would hope it would do.the same for GWTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks