What's new

Upcoming slate of 4k & BD releases 2021 (all studios) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BD65E913-08C8-416F-BF9C-EBF7EC272FCA.jpeg

11/16 from Sony

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
1458AF3F-7F4B-462A-BCC8-3B25DA917EA9.jpeg

New Ultra 4k Editions coming 2022 (may need to change the name of this thread or start a new one soon)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Have any of these films ever been released in UHD? You’d think there will be a boxed set of all the films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have any of these films ever been released in UHD? You’d think there will be a boxed set of all the films.
The last movie in 2017, had a 4K/UHD release with 4K/Dolby Vision & Atmos. The other four movies have been digitally available in 4K/Dolby Vision for a while now. I purchased the 4K digital bundle for $19.99.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
One of the greatest European directors, Krzysztof Kieslowski, made some of the greatest films - especially the Three Colors Trilogy and The Double Life Of Veronique. Not only were these unforgettably moving stories for anyone who saw them theatrically, they also boasted stunning original soundtracks by Kieslowski's musical collaborator, Zbigniew Preisner. Criterion has released these titles, but the Three Colors Trilogy rank amongst the very worst video masters Criterion have in their library. In France, both the Three Colors Trilogy and The Double Life Of Veronique are out on UHD discs with revelatory new masters and my hope is that Criterion will be able to replace their old editions with these new ones.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the greatest European directors, Krzysztof Kieslowski, made some of the greatest films - especially the Three Colors Trilogy and The Double Life Of Veronique. Not only were these unforgettably moving stories for anyone who saw them theatrically, they also boasted stunning original soundtracks by Kieslowski's musical collaborator, Zbigniew Preisner. Criterion has released these titles, but the Three Colors Trilogy rank amongst the very worst video masters Criterion have in their library. In France, both the Three Colors Trilogy and The Double Life Of Veronique are out on UHD discs with revelatory new masters and my hope is that Criterion will be able to replace their old editions with these new ones.

Are they truly revelatory? Or is that the marketing? I’ll believe nothing until I have eyes on.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Are they truly revelatory? Or is that the marketing? I’ll believe nothing until I have eyes on.
All men dream!

I know one can't swear by screen caps on a computer screen to judge film quality, but I do have the Criterion Colors Trilogy on blu ray and they don't look anywhere near as good at home, as they did at the cinema. If my French was up to scratch, I would have purchased this French UHD release tout de suite. But I'm waiting for someone to release with English sous-titres. Also, the soundtrack now looks as though it has a 5.1 option, while the Criterion only has a rather anaemic stereo 2.0. The soundtrack is such an integral part of these films. I remember very clearly, the end of Blue was enhanced at the theatrical performance, by the cinema screen remaining blue, without the curtains being closed, or the house lights being switched on, while the music thundered to a crescendo. The audience sat in their seats, transfixed, unable to rise up and leave.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
All men dream!

I know one can't swear by screen caps on a computer screen to judge film quality, but I do have the Criterion Colors Trilogy on blu ray and they don't look anywhere near as good at home, as they did at the cinema. If my French was up to scratch, I would have purchased this French UHD release tout de suite. But I'm waiting for someone to release with English sous-titres. Also, the soundtrack now looks as though it has a 5.1 option, while the Criterion only has a rather anaemic stereo 2.0. The soundtrack is such an integral part of these films. I remember very clearly, the end of Blue was enhanced at the theatrical performance, by the cinema screen remaining blue, without the curtains being closed, or the house lights being switched on, while the music thundered to a crescendo. The audience sat in their seats, transfixed, unable to rise up and leave.
They’re extraordinary films that deserve nothing less than perfection.

Which should not be all that difficult.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
François Truffaut's Les Aventures d'Antoine Doinel is available on a French UHD box set but with no english subtitles. I hope Criterion will re-release their box set on Blu-ray or 4K.

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim

Any chance the 3 Color French releases have english subtitles?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Any chance the 3 Color French releases have english subtitles?
Not according to the information from the publisher.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
All men dream!

Just saw the screencaps for those at Capsholic, and I'm not convinced that 4K release is a good one color-wise. Looks too yellow/greenish in general, especially for Blue... although the screencaps comparisons did also make me wonder if the Criterion version (at least) of Red may be too blue/cool OTOH...

Also, not too convinced there's actually 4K in details in that 4K release (other than the film grain being likely better/finer resolved) -- there might be some select shots w/ real details that exceed 1080p, but probably not much based on what I see in those screencaps... Would be much better if Capsholic provided comparisons against the included BDs as well...

_Man_

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Some of the titles I am looking at...

Attachments

• 71CcmIN0NdL._SL1500_.jpg
    71CcmIN0NdL._SL1500_.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 71KKH9jbTqL._SL1500_.jpg
    71KKH9jbTqL._SL1500_.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 71Np+Jv2VxL._SL1500_.jpg
    71Np+Jv2VxL._SL1500_.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 71QHtpFwOzL._SL1500_.jpg
    71QHtpFwOzL._SL1500_.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 71Q6YhYVSKL._SL1500_.jpg
    71Q6YhYVSKL._SL1500_.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 81gzNdpKCCL._SL1500_.jpg
    81gzNdpKCCL._SL1500_.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 81HoVcX1FTL._SL1500_.jpg
    81HoVcX1FTL._SL1500_.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 81ipjcQIx6L._SL1500_.jpg
    81ipjcQIx6L._SL1500_.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 11
  • 81OXsbjlLfL._SL1500_.jpg
    81OXsbjlLfL._SL1500_.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 81QmK8LRRfL._SL1500_.jpg
    81QmK8LRRfL._SL1500_.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 81WURbXCUaL._SL1500_.jpg
    81WURbXCUaL._SL1500_.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 10
  • 81ZAareajJL._SL1500_.jpg
    81ZAareajJL._SL1500_.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 11
  • 91lRDuAIV6L._SL1500_.jpg
    91lRDuAIV6L._SL1500_.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks