What's new

Up in the air (1 Viewer)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
OK, I done quite a bit of research and I'm really torn as to which receiver to get. I do like the Onkyo TX-SR806, however, I'm concerned with the heat issue. I do have my current receiver in a rack. There is at least 2 inches above the receiver and the back is open. I can increase the head room as much as is needed , as the shelves are adjustable. Theres that. My current is 110 wpc. I have also been looking at the Pioneer VSX-03TXH. It too is 110 wpc. I have been satisfied with the fact that the 110 wpc seems to be enough to drive my speakers and fills the room very well , volume wise. So, I guess my question would be, do I really need to go to the 130 wpc Onkyo? Will I notice that much difference between these two recievers?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I, personally, would go with the Onkyo. I'm not very familiar with Pioneer receivers, although I'm sure it would work just fine, but I know Onkyo gives a lot of bang for the buck. I have the Onkyo 805, and like it a lot. I've used a Pioneer 563a universal dvd player for years, and it has been an excellent player. I'm still using a Pioneer PL-514 turntable, from the 70s, and it's also very good. But these are the only Pioneer pieces I have experience with.

As for the heat issue, use the top shelf in the rack. When I think of a rack, I think of shelves with the sides and back are open, and the top shelf has nothing over it. Is your's like this? If so, being on top shelf means it's open except for the bottom. I have my 805 on top of my entertainment center, instead of on the shelf that all my earlier receivers used. My receiver hasn't gotten hot yet, and I'm driving 4 ohm speakers. As long as you don't close in the 806, there shouldn't be an issue with heat.

I doubt seriously your ears will hear a difference between 110wpc and 130wpc. The extra power will come in handy if you ever hook 4 ohm speakers up to it, but even then I'm not sure you'd notice any difference. With 4 ohm speakers, the more power you have, the better. Also with more power, the sound is cleaner and clearer, even at low volumes.
Good luck.......... :D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I currently have two Pioneers and have owned two Onkyo's and I'm sure you would be pleased with either one, but I would also go with the Onkyo. The Audyssey EQ is probably just a bit better than the Pioneers MCACC.

But as I've said before, if you've narrowed it down to those two then down-load the manuals and give them a read. I bet you'll find something in one of them that seals the deal.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Thanks Gene & Ed for your responses! I did in fact download the manuals on each of those receivers. The only real differences between the two I saw was: 5 HDMI inputs vs 3 HDMI inputs, and 130 wpc vs 110 wpc. And, with the way my rack is set up(even if I move the receiver to the top shelf , its still somewhat enclosed), I think I would have problems with the Onkyo as far as heat is concerned. So, I think that puts the Pioneer in the winning position. Thanks again for your input.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have no experience with Onkyo, but am on my second Pioneer Elite receiver. My current model is a 94TXH, after previously owning a 47TX for several years.

If you are concerned about the heat issue, the newer Pioneer models do run a lot cooler than they used to. With my old 47TX, I had to remove the top shelf from the audio rack in order to keep the receiver cool enough -- it's an open rack, and there was about two inches clearance to the top shelf. With the newer 94TXH, the unit runs sufficiently cool that I could replace the top shelf in the rack with no overheating issues.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've owned Pioneer and Pioneer Elite (D810s, D811s, 43TX, 1014TX, 82TXs) in the past and currently own an SR805. As the years have passed, the quality of amplification found in the top-end Pioneers and entry-level Elites has tapered off. The 54TX/56TXi were the last models available with a truly robust amplification section. The new SC models with ICEpower amplification are a big step up, but the VSX models just don't have the oomph that Elites once had... they're not completely under-powered, just not what they used to be.

At the same time, Onkyo made some big downgrades in audio components and features going from the SR805 to the SR806. The downgraded the power supply and, in turn, the amp's total power (most significantly when a 4ohm load is present). They downgraded the DACs from Burr Brown to lower resolution Cirrus Logic models. They downgraded Audyssey from MEQ XT to plain MEQ. These downgrades were done, it seems, to allow for a more robust video processing implementation (DCDi Cinema to 1080p vs. DCDi Edge to 480p)... but that video processing has a major flaw (clips BTB and WTW) that makes it a downgrade as well. The SR805 was a beautiful niche unit with the same audio quality and features as Onkyo's flagship without the added cost of a high-end video processor. The SR806 has been dumbed-down to a middle-of-the-pack AVR with flawed video processing.

Either way, to me at least, the smart money is in either a refurbished SR875, Marantz SR7001 (if your BD sources decodes TrueHD/DTS-MA), or on the lower end, the Pioneer 1018AH because it just works with no real flaws/quirks.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Thanks for the feedback Scott. As far as my "rack" goes, its not quite what you have. I guess its more of an audio cabinet than a rack. The sides and top are enclosed but I do have a door on the back so I have access to the equipment. I have considered putting an exhaust fan in the top of the cabinet to draw out the hot air, but wasn't sure if that would help or not. I'm still kind of torn between the two receivers, so hopefully I will be able to make up my mind by October!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If the front is open and you can add a couple of inches above, a BuyExtras AVR fan would probably add enough circulation to avoid the need to modify the cabinet.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Stephen, yes the cabinet is open in the front and I can give plenty of space above as the shelves I put in are adjustable. I'll keep that in mind. Also, thanks for the input on the receivers. I think I'll need to reconsider my choices now. Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks