Netflix Untitled The Chronicles of Narnia Film #1

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Untitled The Chronicles of Narnia Film #1

Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Family

Director: Greta Gerwig

Plot: Film one of Greta Gerwig's deal with Netflix to write and direct at least two films based on C. S. Lewis’ The Chronicles of Narnia.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
not going to say that i am a bit depressed by the fact that this is the direction that Netflix is going to go with this, when the original announcement came out that they were working with the C.S. Lewis estate, i was hoping for a maxi event series, sort of like how Series of Unfortunate Events, each book would be given the amount of screen time to tell the complete story, In its proper context, I just hope they don’t change the core values of the books.

Then the question becomes which order do they film he books themselves, print order or chronological (which would be different than most people are familiar with.)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I really like the three theatrical films (except for the casting of Tilda Swinton as Jadis) and am intrigued by this news. I hope the production is in chronological order, placing The Magician's Nephew first.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I really like the three theatrical films (except for the casting of Tilda Swinton as Jadis) and am intrigued by this news. I hope the production is in chronological order, placing The Magician's Nephew first.
I knew someone else was hoping it would be told in that order

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It will be interesting to see how they approach this project and I hope that with only two films initially planned it won't run out of steam like the Disney trilogy. The Magician's Nephew (origin story) could be told in flashback although I would prefer it as the first film. The Horse and His Boy is a bit of a side story. The four Pevensie children only appear together in two of the books so it could be these which are to be filmed, unfortunately they don't provide the same continuity through the series as those in Harry Potter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
not going to say that i am a bit depressed by the fact that this is the direction that Netflix is going to go with this, when the original announcement came out that they were working with the C.S. Lewis estate, i was hoping for a maxi event series, sort of like how Series of Unfortunate Events, each book would be given the amount of screen time to tell the complete story, In its proper context, I just hope they don’t change the core values of the books.
I don't have a problem with them going the movie route for this series. Looking at my old paperback copies, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is the longest by page count, and still only clocks in at 240 pages with a fairly large typeset. If they went the series route, each book would only take three or four episodes to tell exhaustively.

That would be the smarter choice, because it's never been adapted before (except maybe as a radio drama?) and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe has been adapted at least three times I'm aware of: Bill Melendez's animated movie that aired on CBS, the BBC live action adaptation in 1988, and the Disney/Walden Media adaptation in 2005.

There's also the advantage of it having a mostly unique cast of characters. As long as they cast Jadis well, and the voice of Aslan well, none of their other choices will have lasting consequences.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
There's also the advantage of it having a mostly unique cast of characters. As long as they cast Jadis well, and the voice of Aslan well, none of their other choices will have lasting consequences.
maybe some lasting consequences, depending on who is cast, as i think that a faithful adaptation would quiet the nay sayers. But whole heartly agreed that those two parts need to very selectively be cast.

Aslan (soothing, comforting, commanding, powerful and regal all at the same time), and most importantly available for all 7 adaptations.

and I see a LOT of child actors needing to be cast, for multiple films, this would work if Netflix had everything, scripts, directors and locations already in hand for all 7 before they started then did a massive undertaking like Jackson did with Lord of the Rings

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
and I see a LOT of child actors needing to be cast, for multiple films, this would work if Netflix had everything, scripts, directors and locations already in hand for all 7 before they started then did a massive undertaking like Jackson did with Lord of the Rings
It helps that the casts of characters change from book to book, and there are time jumps built in between each one (both in our world, and to a more dramatic extent, in Narnia). For the Pevensie children, there's a one year jump between The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian, another year between Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and seven years between Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Last Battle.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks