What's new

Untitled Jesus Film (Martin Scorsese) (2024)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How do they know it will only be 80 minutes if it hasn't been shot or edited yet?
If the script is written already, then it's reasonable to have that as an estimate. Generally, the rule of thumb is that one page of script is one minute of screen time. (Edited for clarification.)

In some cases, you just know what you're targeting. For example, an animated feature from Disney is probably going to be around 90 to 100 minutes give or take because that's just generally what they aim for when making those.

I think it is entirely reasonable for Scorsese to have a target running time in mind. That doesn't mean it can't change during the course of production, but as the filmmaker, he should have a general idea of what this story needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If the script is written already, then it's reasonable to have that as an estimate. Generally, the rule of thumb is that one page is one minute of script.
I'm aware of that :thumbs-up-smiley:.

I think it is entirely reasonable for Scorsese to have a target running time in mind. That doesn't mean it can't change during the course of production, but as the filmmaker, he should have a general idea of what this story needs.

I guess my question was how the article linked above arrived at that running time. After reading the original L.A. Times article (as opposed to the article about the article), which gives the info straight from the proverbial horse's mouth, it makes more sense.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I’m actually very intrigued; especially in regard to its running time goal of under 90 minutes, and in what Mr. Scorsese shall be exploring after having a meeting with the Pope. Looking forward, very much so.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If Marty makes it, I’m there. But I fear there are still too many people who haven’t gotten over the protesting of The Last Temptation of Christ.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If Marty makes it, I’m there. But I fear there are still too many people who haven’t gotten over the protesting of The Last Temptation of Christ.
I gladly crossed that picket line at a Boston showing. I spoke to one of the protesters, that night, and learned that he had never even seen the film. So bizarre.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I spoke to one of the protesters, that night, and learned that he had never even seen the film. So bizarre.
It's not bizarre. That is totally normal. I used to know some people who were anti-Harry Potter because they didn't like the idea of books teaching children witchcraft. But they never actually read the book or watched the movies. They just didn't like the premise and decided it was promoting bad ideas. It is easier for these kind of people to draw conclusions, even if they are incorrect, instead of engaging with material that they claim is problematic to find out what is actually in it.

I don't mean to imply that all protesters everywhere have not engaged with the things they are protesting. But there are some groups of people who don't bother to do that, and it is not uncommon.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
How do they know it will only be 80 minutes if it hasn't been shot or edited yet?
During negotiations apparently God told Marty "Look, you've been doing all these epic length pictures, at my age I have a hard time sitting that long without a bathroom break. Plus, I think the internet has really shortened people's attention spans. I'm onboard to do this if we keep it brief. Just hit all my bullet points in 80 minutes. OK, Marty?"

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's not bizarre. That is totally normal. I used to know some people who were anti-Harry Potter because they didn't like the idea of books teaching children witchcraft. But they never actually read the book or watched the movies. They just didn't like the premise and decided it was promoting bad ideas. It is easier for these kind of people to draw conclusions, even if they are incorrect, instead of engaging with material that they claim is problematic to find out what is actually in it.

I don't mean to imply that all protesters everywhere have not engaged with the things they are protesting. But there are some groups of people who don't bother to do that, and it is not uncommon.
Yes, to not like a premise makes sense; but to hold a protest sign without actually knowing a little bit more seems irresponsible. Oh, well, it is what is.

BTW, I thought so highly of The Last Temptation of Christ that I upgraded from the Criterion DVD to the BD. Willem Dafoe was remarkable in a role that most actors wouldn’t dare touch.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
i could understand that artistic liberties could often conflict with audience to artistic works in reality.
here's the summary of assessment from the regulating authorities of the small state country i'm from...
In view of the content, the film was referred to the advisory committees, which are made up of a cross-section of the community. The committee members were of the view that the film will be offensive to the Christian community as it denigrates the central figure in Christianity (Jesus Christ). Taking into account the film’s content and the views of the committees, MDA assessed that the film has exceeded the Film Classification Guidelines which state that “films that denigrate any racial or religious group, or create misunderstanding or disharmony among the races are not allowed for all ratings.”
...that's why i don't get to see LToC in any forms until today, in my 50.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I think there's a lot of scope for a space/religious picture. Titled 'The Second Coming' (after the Yeats poem), or 'A Spaceman Came Travelling' (after the Chris de Burgh song), Jesus arrives on a spaceship to prevent some earthly cataclysm!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think there's a lot of scope for a space/religious picture. Titled 'The Second Coming' (after the Yeats poem), or 'A Spaceman Came Travelling' (after the Chris de Burgh song), Jesus arrives on a spaceship to prevent some earthly cataclysm!
I always preferred (the original) The Day The Earth Stood Still, which is essentially the story of Christ (as is E.T.).

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks