What's new

Unreleased Universal TV Titles (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Doesn't Universal also still have T.H.E. Cat and Captain Nice, from NBC Productions? The latter got a DVD release in Italy, but I'm not sure if it included an english soundtrack option or not.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I hope someday they do 50's sitcom fans like me a HUGE favor and finally release Bachelor Father. The show is still in syndication from time to time on nostalgia stations and the episodes look pretty fine. Please Universal, do it for us "old timers"!

LCD22

Screenwriter
Since Shout! finished Quincy, the only remaining Universal property I've been waiting on is Peacemakers (albeit from 2003) and I don't expect to see it from them.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
2 more: Gideon Oliver (starring Louis Gossett Jr.) and Christine Cromwell (starring Jaclyn Smith).

Both shows were part of Universal's late-80s "ABC Mystery Movie" attempt at reviving the 70s NBC rotating wheel of shows, along with BL Stryker and the revivals of Columbo and Kojak.

The Columbo, Kojak, and BL Stryker episodes have all made it to DVD. Only Gideon and Cromwell (the 2 least successful shows in the rotation) remain unavailable, with the exception of 1 Gideon episode appearing on a "Brilliant But Cancelled - Crime Dramas" DVD years ago.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't Universal also still have T.H.E. Cat and Captain Nice, from NBC Productions? The latter got a DVD release in Italy, but I'm not sure if it included an english soundtrack option or not.

Looked all over the internet for evidence of that Captain Nice release and I cannot find any. Only sales I see are of poor quality boots, likely from Comedy Central.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Looked all over the internet for evidence of that Captain Nice release and I cannot find any. Only sales I see are of poor quality boots, likely from Comedy Central.
It was released in Germany as well as Italy, and are available from Amazon Germany. Unfortunately neither have the english soundtracks.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
It was released in Germany as well as Italy, and are available from Amazon Germany. Unfortunately neither have the english soundtracks.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to earlier: Captain Nice (Italian release).

Looks legit, though I suppose it could also be a glorified bootleg, as has apparently been the case with a few older film releases on Italian DVD.

Thanks for confirming the lack of an english soundtrack; glad I didn't take the risk of ordering it when I spotted it --and there was no indication of english in the product description on that page, hence my trepidation.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I just wonder with these foreign releases as to how legitimate they are, especially when there is no dual language option. I'm thinking that someone found old 16mm syndication prints lying a warehouse and figured why not put it out as no one would bother them. Specifically, I'm talking about Kentucky Jones, Run Buddy Run, Pistols 'n' Petticoats, Captain Nice and The Detectives. It seems that when it is a legit release, like Tammy or Mr. Terrific, the English soundtrack is present.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I used google translate to read some of the Italian reviews of the Captain Nice Italian DVD set, and it sounds like a bootleg..
Here's some of the comments:

It 's remarkable that this character from my childhood has been fished out, we were hoping not to many.
BUT...
The video quality is very bad and help me to say bad.
The audio quality is even worse with noise pickup deadly and audio jumping continuously (and not mention the interference generated by the cell who was working there)
In short ... it's better than not having it, but the quality is very poor cabbages.
And do not tell me that it is the fault of the original material because a few years ago Canal Jimmy passed it, and you could see more than decently.
It seems that the digital conversion and dubbing have been made by a clumsy beginner ....

... Unfortunately the video and audio quality (jumping for about one second with a regularly and very frequently) is really very low. It seems to look at an old home movie uploaded to the internet. Being a limited edition series, I thought it should publish at least in a quality equal to other TV series that have revived the other production companies, a pity so. Do three stars only because, for the nostalgic and for fans of the series like me, I think the only way to get it on DVD. I personally have never been able to find the net so despite everything even take the next DVD. I hope I have been of help,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks