What's new

UNIVERSAL: Regressive news (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
based on the last 2 releases,

it seems that Universal titles no longer include inserts.
Both copies of THE EMPEROR'S CLUB don't have them.

FAR FROM HEAVEN was last release.

good to know that Uni distrib. DREAMWORKS still include theirs (Catch me If You Can which includes a bonus disc!).

James Reader

Screenwriter
Universal UK haven't been including inserts for months now. :frowning: Probably well over a year.

I wouldn't mind if they used the clear cases which are popular over here and printed the chapter listings/notes on the reverse of the cover.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Since I use the menus to navigate the chapters I never look at the inserts anyway. If it saves the studios a few pennies per unit (times several million units a year across several titles) I don't mind.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Normally, it wouldn't bother me so much. The problem is that when you take a look at most Universal scene selection screens on back catalogue titles you get 4 images per screen with a number under it. Without an insert (an even in those cases they don't include them in R2) the feature is pretty useless. "Look, here's James Woods looking to the left, wow that was a great scene!" :angry:

Chris

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Most inserts are about as worthless and unnecessary as it gets so I don't care if a DVD doesn't come with one. If they really take the time to include an essay, or a bunch of behind-the-scenes photos or something like that, I'll look through it, but a sheet with the DVD coverart on one side and a chapter list on the other is worthless.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Gotta agree with the naysayers here - I never use those little slips of paper (and most of the time they end up slipping and getting crunched in the case hinge).

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I agree. On the rare occasion that the inserts are prepared with care & intelligence, they're more than welcome. In the case of one flimsy slip of paper, they are almost insulting to the release with their seeming lack of substantial content.

Although I hate snappers, at least the packaging seems a bit more cohesive than an Amaray with only a flismy insert inside....

Guy_K

Second Unit
Inserts aren't exactly deal breakers for me, but the motivation of not including them makes me upset. They're just little pieces of paper, why not include them? Universal is just being lazy and trying to save a penny.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
They should utilize both sides of the jacket cover and
print chapter info on the reverse of the cover.
I do like to see the encoded chapter titles
on the paper. I hate the "FAR FROM HEAVEN" cover.
We should demand they send us a new one with the
original POSTER ART.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Columbia used to have nice production essays on the back covers of their laserdiscs, which extended to their DVD inserts for a while. They recently quit doing them though, going with the plain 1-page inserts, which is just another reason why they are the most disimproved (opposite-of-improved) studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks