What's new

Universal: Please Release More Classic Horror and Science Fiction (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
First, I want to say thanks to Universal for their excellent DVD of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. The commentary, documentary and transfer were all great.

But I hope Universal doesn't stop here. I've heard from various sources that there will be no Universal Horror DVD's for this Halloween. I hope this is not so, and I sincerely hope that Universal will soon release the following titles to DVD(with fresh transfers):
THE BLACK CAT(1934)
THE RAVEN
MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS
HOUSE OF DRACULA
REVENGE OF THE CREATURE
THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US
THE MAD GHOUL
MAN MADE MONSTER
NIGHT MONSTER
MURDERS IN THE ZOO
HOLD THAT GHOST
TARANTULA
THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN

If anyone can think of any other titles to add, please do so. I hope we can look forward to more Universal Horror and sci-fi on DVD.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Not classic, but retro:

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Phantasm II
Phantasm III
The People Under The Stairs
Child's Play 3

I don't see Universal releasing much catalogue titles these days. But thank you for Legend!

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Larry,
I have to agree with everything on your list.
THE BLACK CAT is one of the most incredible horror movies of the 30s- a genuine masterpiece of the genre and completely overlooked. This film really needs to be released on DVD, with a new transfer- the time compressed Laserdisc was pretty awful.
REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US should be issued in the double feature format, as was the Laserdisc.
Also, HOLD THAT GHOST should be released with THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES, just like it was on the Laserdisc set.
I'd like to add THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN to the list as a great horror themed comedy.
While not a horror or sci-fi movie, I'd like to throw in a plug for MURDER, HE SAYS, which would make a pretty good Halloween season release from Universal.

Donald W

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to add also that Universal get The People Under The Stairs out on DVD...and I second a good SE of The Black Cat and the The Raven....please don't let these great horror films go by the way side

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Any or all of the titles on Mr. Sutliff's list SHOULD be made available by Universal. They would find a quick home in my film library.:emoji_thumbsup: :D

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I too concur 100% with Larry's want list, as well as Derek's excellent additional suggestion of the wonderful MURDER HE SAYS. I'd also love it if Universal would have Tom Weaver do his typically informative & entertaining commentary tracks for as many of these as possible, as he has done with the DVD editions of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and THE WOLF MAN.

Additional suggestions:

TOWER OF LONDON ('39)
TERROR ABOARD ('33)
MURDER BY THE CLOCK ('33)
THE MAN WHO LAUGHS
DR. CYCLOPS
THIS ISLAND EARTH
CULT OF THE COBRA
CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN
JUNGLE WOMAN
JUNGLE CAPTIVE
FLESH & FANTASY
CURSE OF THE UNDEAD
THE THING THAT WOULDN'T DIE
THE DEADLY MANTIS
MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS
THE MONOLITH MONSTERS
THE LAND UNKNOWN
THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS
INVISIBLE AGENT
INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE
THE INVISIBLE WOMAN
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET DR, JEKYLL & MR. HYDE
BRIDES OF DRACULA (Hammer)
CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (Hammer)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA ('62, Hammer)
EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN (Hammer)
NIGHTMARE (Hammer)
PARANOIAC (Hammer)
NIGHT CREATURES (Hammer)
SHADOW OF THE CAT (Hammer)
THE NIGHT WALKER
LET'S KILL UNCLE
KING KONG VS. GODZILLA
KING KONG ESCAPES
ISLAND OF TERROR
COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT
THRILLER (entire run of this classic horror/suspense TV series)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
How about an actual SPECIAL EDITION of Halloween 2 like was first announced? I would like to see the see the list of classics that have been mentioned above, but at the same time, I really would like to see a company come through with what they promise.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Peter,
I have to agree with your additions as well, I'd especially like to see Universal release a special edition of THIS ISLAND EARTH, with a brand new transfer that would recapture its IB Technicolor glory.
Also, I'd like to see all the Hammer titles issued in 16:9 enhanced wide screen, and not with the mediocre cropped Laserdisc transfers.
Finally, we must have the entire run of THRILLER with your host Boris Karloff on DVD.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'd especially like to see Universal release a special edition of THIS ISLAND EARTH, with a brand new transfer that would recapture its IB Technicolor glory.
Absolutely. The existing DVD is barely adequate,and yet it commands high prices on eBay, so there is definite demand for the movie.

And I would buy every title mentioned by the good folks in this thread(after getting a loan).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Add me in obviously. I'd buy all of the titles mentioned. BLACK CAT, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS & BRIDES OF DRACULA are at the top of my most wanted list.
Lets hope all these will see the light of day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks