What's new

Universal in May: Cinema Classics Wave 2, more franchise collections. (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From www.dvdtimes.com:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Clint Eastwood: Western Icon Collection for 1st May 2007 priced at $19.98 SRP. This franchise collection from Universal includes three previously released Clint Eastwood westerns: High Plains Drifter, Joe Kidd and Two Mules for Sister Sara.

Spread across two discs (1xDVD9, 1xDVD5) the films are all presented in Anamorphic Widescreen with English and French DD2.0 Mono audio and English SDH subtitles. The only extras are the original trailers for all three films.

...and....

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of two Classic Western Round-Up collections for 8th May 2007. Priced at $26.98 SRP each these multi-feature collections are detailed below…

Classic Western Round-Up: Volume 1 - Four films - The Texas Rangers, Canyon Passage, Kansas Riders and The Lawless Breed - are spread across two discs (2xDVD9) presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono audio and optional English SDH and French subtitles. The only extras are the original trailers for all four films.

Classic Western Round-Up: Volume 2 - Four films - The Texans, California, The Cimarron Kid and The Man From Alamo - are spread across two discs (2xDVD9) presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono audio and optional English SDH and French subtitles. The only extras are the original trailers for all but California.

...and...

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Pirates of the Golden Age Movie Collection for 8th May 2007 priced at $26.98 SRP. This franchise collection from Universal brings together four pirate themed movies from the ‘50s.

Spread across two discs (2xDVD9) are: Against All Flags, Buccaneer’s Girl, Yankee Buccaneer and Double Crossbones. All are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono audio and optional English SDH and French subtitles. The only extras are the original trailers for all four films.

..and...

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of four titles as Wave 2 of their Universal Cinema Classics line. Due on 22nd May 2007 priced at $14.98 SRP each are: No Man of Her Own, Scarface (1932), So Proudly We Hail and Unconquered.

All titles will be digitally remastered for optimum picture quality and include an exclusive introduction by Turner Classic Movies Host Robert Osborne. The films are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono audio and optional English SDH and French subtitles. Extras include introductions and original trailers, with Scarface (1932) also boasting an alternate ending.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

pretty great! (especially No Man of Her Own)

unfortunately--Scarface-wise--I actually wound up buying the gaudy Pacino gift set a couple of days ago (at a major discount, although it cost me more than this proper release would have--but hey, now I've got a lame fake-reptile-skin case to keep my crack in)

but I'll be purchasing the other three! On the whole, I salute you...niversal! more Stanwyck--more Paulette Goddard--more Veronica Lake! And how about some kind of Margaret Sullavan package?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
...and So Proudly We Hail seems to suggest no Colbert set anytime soon.
I would have loved to have gotten this and Midnight in one swoop- but I'll take it anyway.

I wonder if its too much to hope that Midnight makes it out in a Billy Wilder (screenwriter) set? I think I would like to get Hold Back The Dawn as much as anything at this point.

Corey

Screenwriter
i've bitched and moaned about so proudly we hail for so long and now it's finally coming :) and yay for more gable and lombard!!!

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

guess I jumped the gun on "No Man of Her Own" (I was thinking it was the Stanwyck film from 1950--but I guess Universal doesn't even own that one, do they?)

anyway, the Lombard/Gable film is decent too--but not nearly as exciting to me!

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator
CANYON PASSAGE!!! Great!!! My candidate for best Western ever. I assume we are talking about Vidor's TEXAS RANGERS? But I'd buy ten worthless B westerns in order to get CP in a good quality on DVD. Few films who are shot in such a gorgeous way.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
These are wonderful additions to the cinema classics line, but I can help regretting that we're not getting any more Deanna Durbin, Mae West, or Marlene Dietrich from Universal in this announcement.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

Armin: I'm also thrilled to hear that Universal is releasing Canyon Passage. It's a truly GREAT western film, and probably the best western not already out on DVD

It's also nice to see Unconquered which should look stunning on DVD.

There are also two early Budd Boetticher westerns in the releases, "The Man From the Alamo", and "The Cimmaron Kid". They are B's, but worthwhile additions.

I also see "California" included. That was a very entertaining major budget western with Ray Milland and Barbara Stanwyck. No masterpiece to be sure, but a worthwhile inclusion which has never before been released on home video.

These releases are great news for classic western fans, and Universal should be congragulated.

c Jim Bur

Charles H

Screenwriter
There are plenty of Colberts out there to mandate a collection (THE GILDED LILY, BLUEBEARD'S EIGHTH WIFE, THUNDER ON THE HILL, MAID OF SALEM, ARISE, MY LOVE, FAMILY HONEYMOON, ZAZA, NO TIME FOR LOVE, TORCH SINGER, PRACTICALLY YOURS, THE SMILING LIEUTENANT, THE BIG POND). I would have loved to seen THE FIRST TRAVELING SALESLADY included in the Eastwood if only for the perverse commemoration of the first Carol Channing-Clint Eastwood teaming.

Corey

Screenwriter
I hope they release Hold Back the Dawn and To Each His Own in the next wave. Those are essential de Havilland films.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
The previous version also had an alternate ending. Anyone care to say what is consists of?

Great to hear Scarface is on its way. I was about ready to buy the R2 version when this news hit.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As it says on IMDB:

Due to censorship requirements in several states, a second ending was shot, in which Camonte doesn't try an escape, but is sentenced to death and finally executed on the gallows.

It's a very short sequence, and it's nothing much more than a curiosity, but it's all part of the fight that Hawks had to get his film shown as he envisioned it.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
All these Westerns, and yet where are classics such as "Lonely Are The Brave" and "Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here"? I was hoping these would be candidates for the next releases in their Legacy series. Thank goodness I kept the laserdiscs of those two films - I'm not optimistic that we'll see them on DVD any time soon.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Does anyone know if new transfer are being struck for these films? I have the Region 4, anamorphic High Plains Drifter, and I would like to sell it, but only if the new one will be anmorphic as well.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
John,

Thanks so much. Of course, according to Universal The Thing HD DVD is 1.85:1 and The Hulk HD DVD is 2.35:1, so I'll take it with a grain of salt, but it is encouraging nevertheless. :) I still think I'll hold onto my Region 4 DVD until I can find a review on the set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks