What's new

UHD Ultra HD (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Finn said:
Just a suggestion - might be good to create a sub-forum on Ultra HD...

Maybe there will be one as soon as more content is available - can you share plans by Fox for classic releases in UHD ? For starters may I suggest Oklahoma!, Hello Dolly!, Patton and The Sound of Music? ;)

OK, maybe this will be a bit much for starters but can you share a bit about what Fox wants to do with UHD when it comes to its catalog titles? There are some large format movies that I think would look stunning in the new format, will we be seeing some of them sooner rather than later? I also noticed that two of the three Fox movies that to me looked best in 70mm were Cleopatra and The Agony and the Ecstasy but they did not really look ready for UHD Blu-ray in their Blu-ray incarnations - will at least Cleopatra be revisited in the near future?

Last but not least the initial lineup by Fox has mostly movies have been released previously with a 2k DCP so I am surprised about them being the first choices for the new format. Will they just be upconverted from 2k to UHD or is more work to be done to also improve on their resolution?

OK, I will stop now but I find this UHD format quite exciting!

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
OliverK said:
Maybe there will be one as soon as more content is available

There is more UHD content out available either for streaming or download then there was when Bluray launched. There are well over a 100 movies available across the various sources. In fact Lawrence of Arabia is already out.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DavidMiller said:
There is more UHD content out available either for streaming or download then there was when Bluray launched. There are well over a 100 movies available across the various sources. In fact Lawrence of Arabia is already out.
True, most of the content is from only one studio though and interest in it is extremely low as it can only be streamed or downloaded to two obscure playback devices with both of them being discontinued as of today. It is a shame also that after the initial wave of older catalog titles Sony now only seems to release newer movies through their 4k service. It started out great with titles like LOA, Kwai or The Guns of Navarone. I mean how much effort can it be to put one up there at least every 3 months just to see how they are doing with older catalog titles?

So while on paper we may have more titles we also have no physical media, no widespread studio support and little to no interest in what is already out.

I think that UHD Blu-ray has the potential to change that, streaming not so much.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can no wait to own titles like the following in UHD blu-ray:

20th Century Fox UHD titles to be released:

Life Of Pi

X Men: Days Of Future Past

Exodus: Gods And Kings

Fantastic Four

Titles I would like to see on UHD blu-ray

Sound Of Music

The Innocents

Star Wars: A New Hope - Original Theatrical Release

Planet Of The Apes - Original 1966

My Fair Lady

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - 2014

Broadcast News

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

Next Stop Greenwich Village

The Seven Year Itch

Mrs Doubtfire

Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Jurassic World

Furious 7

Tomorrowland

Cinderella

The Martian

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 1 & 2

Gladiator

And many more

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
DavidMiller said:
None of which is out on UHD Blu-ray, and those "other sources" for current UHD content all fall under the existing Streaming Video and Digital Downloads sub-forum.

If Mr Finn is referring to a new UHD Blu-ray sub-forum, that make more sense but only when the discs are actually released.

And as OliverK mentioned, I'm sure a lot of people on HTF would be keen to hear Fox's plans for classic content on UHD Blu-ray.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
We are committed to UHD with High Dynamic Range for all our upcoming and recent releases. We are also looking at some of our catalog titles but need to continue to test to gage quality. Too soon to tell how far back we can go.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finn said:
We are committed to UHD with High Dynamic Range for all our upcoming and recent releases. We are also looking at some of our catalog titles but need to continue to test to gage quality. Too soon to tell how far back we can go.
I forgot, but when will any of these titles start coming out?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do you think this means there will truly be no regional restrictions, or that they'll be some new system we haven't yet heard of?

For instance..have we heard for sure whether or not the player needs to be internet connected to work? If it does, I could see them very easily building a sort of region coding into the machine itself, where there's no code on the disc but the machine won't authorize it to play because it's not approved for playback in whatever zip code the machine's owner is registered at. Implemented on a title by title basis rather than dividing a map into different sections.

I hope I'm overthinking this...I guess I'm just kinda shocked that after nearly 20 years of region coding that they'd just stop now.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
I hope I'm overthinking this...I guess I'm just kinda shocked that after nearly 20 years of region coding that they'd just stop now.
You are - be happy for now :)

The writing was one the wall anyway - pressing a disc for a movie several times for several regions adds to costs tremendously.

Do away with these costs and voila you suddenly can release movies worldwide and make them profitable again, probably with an additional soundtrack or two depending on what the biggest markets are (I don't know) and a LOT of subtitles.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Worldwide demand bundling for UHD discs via dropping of region codes is probably necessary to get this off the ground as only tech nerds and very dedicated cinephiles or movie collectors will buy this from the start. A most welcome move as handling two or more players or running after hacked players is no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks