What's new

Two great deals, but only enough money for one. Phillips 32PT740H or Sanyo DS32830H? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
One of the local podunk Wal-Mart stores is clearing out last year's direct view HD display models. Both are priced at $399, and I just happened to come into some spare toy money. I realize the best option would be to keep saving, but with the way things are, there isn't gonna be much to add to the pile, so I might as well choose one of these once $700 range TVs while I can get them.

So, my choices are:

Phillips 32PT740H

A nice looking HD Ready 32" set with the added bonus of a VGA/RGB input (the idea of Doom 3 on a 32" screen WITHOUT having to buy an adapter is nice). It also has a standard 1080i component input (though I doubt you can use it and the VGA simultaneously), along with a 480i only component input and a decent array of composite and S-Video jacks.

One last thing, the HD inputs say "480p/720p/1080i" beside them, so I kind of hope it can do 720p, or at least scale it to 1080i.

Sanyo DS32830H

Another 32" HD Ready set, but the inputs are pretty darn limited, as we have just one 1080i component input for progressive or HD signals, and a couple of S-Video/composite jacks. The only reason I consider it is when the two were side by side on the shelf, the Sanyo had a great picture, whereas the Phillips looked really soft (granted, while these are hooked to a Dish HD feed at Wal-Mart, they haven't exactly been optimized or tweaked). Highly doubt this one will upconvert 720p, but if you know, let me know.

I used to assume Sanyo was probably junk since they are Wal-Mart's in-store discount brand, but the raves the new Sanyo 32" set is getting has me curious...plus I hear due to Wal-Marts financial ties with Sanyo, the return policy is quite attractive.

I'm likely gonna pull the trigger on one or the other this weekend...anybody wanna drop in their two cents?

John S

Senior HTF Member
720p is cool enough, I think that probably sways you towards the Philips. I don't have it, and last night for the 1st time ever, I would of liked to have had it.

The grass on the upconversion from 720p to 1080i, actually show'd some digital upconverting artifacting last night during the NFL game from ABC during time of camera movement. A tad less on 480p, but still there enough.

I'm pretty sure that is what this was, not bad at all, my significant other said she could not see it at all, and highly prefered the 1080i over the 480p from my Zenith 420 set top box. The players always remained pristine, you had to really focus on the grass while the camera was moving to detect it.

I wish I had 720p support just to try if for no other reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks