What's new

Two-channel stereo equipment ... dying format? (1 Viewer)

PaulKH

Second Unit
Great post, John.
Stereo isn't 'bad' - obviously a lot better than mono. :D
But those who say a great stereo system can't be beaten are just 'establishment' types who resist change.
Multi-channel systems are a pain to setup, but just as stereo beats mono, multi-channel has the potential to outdo stereo.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I enjoy both very much. Well recorded multi channel tracks just cannot be beat. Ambiance is the key, and brings the realism of the music more to life.

However, that is not to say that I don't like stereo. I actually PREFER stereo when listening to CDs. One of the reasons I bought my receiver is because it does an excellent job at 2ch stereo. HT and multi channel music are also very good.

I do not care much for DSP or matrixed "simulated" modes for playback of music. I don't find that PL or PLII really add anything to my listening experience. The surround is nice, but doesn't sound natural to me.

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
2-channel audio will never die as long as there are people who appreciate quality sound reproduction. I have a very good stereo (Jeff Rowland/Proac) and a very good home theater (EAD/Theta/JM Reynaud/Proac). Care to guess which I prefer to listen to music on?

Larry B

Screenwriter
In the high end community, stereo is alive and well. (For which I'm extraordinarily grateful!)
Larry B (with a space :) )

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
What I have personally found is that listening to conventionally recorded music (music played and recorded with real instruments in a normal way) is better in 2 channel. I can't listen to any kind of rock in surround.

Listening to "artificially" created music often is a lot better in surround. I spent an hour yesterday listening to Mike Oldfield's "Amarok" in surround - it was frigging amazing. Just try it.

Classical in surround is not bad sometimes either, although not always and it depends on the music too.

Of course you need good matching speakers to really enjoy surround music.

PaulKH

Second Unit
AntonS - although not a Metallica fan, their live 5.1 DVD is AMAZING, especially the first track with the orchestra.

I also heard a Steely Dan DVD-audio title the other day and it too was astounding.

When you say "music played and recorded with real instruments in a normal way" what does that mean? There's little that's 'normal' about the way music is recorded in a studio. And live music is WAY better in surround than just 2 channel.

There will always be stereo fans, but surround is the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks