What's new

Tweeter crackling :( Dealer says no issue! (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Damn, one of my paradigm studio 40's was crackling, I noticed it while playing NHL 2K3 on my x-box... damn annoying.

So I took the speaker down and brought it upstairs to my 2 channel setup. No issue with music odd!

So I thought, maybe a loose connection or something and jaring it fixed it. So I returned it to my theatre with the same results, crackling.

So thought, maybe it was my amp. I moved the speaker to my centre channel location (different amp different wires) nope same problem. But it was only there on the test tone! So I turned up the test tone and it was worse. I tried my amp on other speakers with no crackle. So the amp and wires are eliminated must be the speaker.

Brought it to my dealer, they said they tried everything and cannot reproduce the problem! :frowning: I think I'll call back and make sure they tried it at like 80db on the test tone. Because you can't tell any other way.

I really hope I don't have to drive all the way accross town to get this thing and it's STILL bad. :frowning:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like it might be the processor/preamp? That's the only part of the chain not present when you move the speaker, no?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
That's what I originally thought, but how would that follow the speaker? IE, if I move the bad speaker to my centre location it's there, but none of the other speakers crackle.

My stereo upstairs isn't powerfull enough, I believe it is a volume issue.

I called they haven't called me back yet, I don't think you'll notice it at lower volumes. The test tone on my receiver is 80db I hear it then, but not lower. None of the other speakers do it though.

I'll find out when they return my call, maybe they didn't try it at 80db, they probably just had it really low volume.

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
James,

I've had the same issue on almost every Paradigm Reference Studio v.2 series speaker I've owned. I've heard this crackling with a pair of Studio 40's (since been traded-in), a pair of Studio 20's (returned), one speaker of my Active 40 pair (had the tweeter swapped twice), and very slightly in my Active CC v.2 (which was also internally wired out-of-phase).

I could only hear the crackling when using the AVIA test tones within about 20db of reference level and above. When using the internal test tones of my receiver, the crackling is not present. Sometimes, I think I might be able to hear it at very loud levels with certain recordings, but this is not definite and could be a result of grain in the recording itself. I've emailed Paradigm, spoke with local dealers, posted my crackling tweeter observations on this forum, and have never gotten to the bottom of the issue. It's frustrating, because the Studio series are otherwise a very fine set of speakers.

So although the issue is disturbing, I'm not sure how much of a problem it is with real world listening. Perhaps there is some aspect of the AVIA test tones that cause the tweeter to resonate a certain way - I don't know. It is interesting you have the issue with the X-box. I would definitely pursue the issue with your dealer.

The problem with Paradigm, is their customer service usually refers all service problems to your local dealer, so YMMV. Many of the Paradigm dealers I've dealt with locally are genuinely unpleasant, so I'd much prefer to deal directly with the company itself regarding any service issues.

But I've had very little luck getting a straight answer from Paradigm regarding some of the problems I've had. I love my Active 40's to death, so I've been willing to put up with most of these annoying issues. But I will likely steer clear of Paradigm in the future. In fact, I've already crossed the Anthem AVM20 off my list of potential processors because I don't want to deal with Paradigm and their dealer network (again YMMV).

Cary

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i had the same problem with axiom speakers. they sent me a new tweeter no questions asked and its fixed. the 85 dB test tone on my s&v disc was one of the few things that caused it. theres also 1 or 2 songs i found that do it. i would give your dealer the test disc and tell them how to reproduce it.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Keir, that's interesting. They actually claimed "All speakers do this!" Ok, so the 8 other speakers I have at home are exceptions to the rule?

You can't hear it with music, I agree I can't either, but for some reason it crackles like crazy on the test tone.... it sure didn't before! I've had them for a year so I know it was fine before, I've run the test tone many times.

Keir, I don't have the S&V disc, do you remember the test tone?

They did say that if it is still there they will replace the speaker (ie send it back to paradigm, wait months and months!)

I had a tweeter in a B&W cut out on me before, and they couldn't find it, they just changed the tweeter and it was fixed. That was more severe thougt it cut out completely!

EDIT: I am one VERY unhappy customer now. My dealer is an hour away (almost) and the F'in speaker still does it! It's so obvious it took me 2 seconds before I left for work this morning to check it!

I'm going to call Paradigm, this is unacceptable. The dealer thinks EVERY speaker does this, they basically told me I was an idiot!

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
9V battery accross the tweeters leads for 2 min. then bring it back and say it got worse.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Cary, I didn't notice your post.

I am having this issue with the internal test tones on my receiver! But it started with my x-box. My other studio's do not do it.

Well If I do not get this resolved, I have a simple solution. I'm going to dump my Studio 40's and get something else. I won't live with it!

Heck, I'm sure many would love 4 studio 40's and a CC in minty shape with boxes for.... $1300?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'll keep talking to myself :)

I called another Paradigm dealer (one not completely accross town!) And they said they will fix it, thank god!

I'll have to "prove" it to them, though because I don't want to go back and forth again. This dealer, is 2 mins from my house, where the other one is an hour!

james e m

Second Unit
James, Please keep us updated on how the dealer fixes the tweeter problem. I will be very interested to see what they do for you. I too got my speakers in Ontario (Live Wire) and may have to return if my speakers keep making that same noise.
James

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I've already crossed the Anthem AVM20 off my list of potential processors because I don't want to deal with Paradigm and their dealer network (again YMMV).
Huh? Anthem = Paradigm?

From all accounts I've read Anthem has an outstanding record in the customer service department.

James,

From your description, there is definately something wrong. I hope you have better luck with the 2nd dealer. Let us know how it turns out as this is valuable information for anyone who is dealer/speaker shopping.

JimmyK

JustinDR

Agent
I had the exact same problem with a new pair of studio 40s and a studio cc v.2 recently. Im my case, only one of the two 40s and the cc was crackling, most notably on the S&V test tones previously mentioned. I could also tell the difference between the two studio 40 speakers with music, but it was more subtle.

The local paradigm dealer is actually very helpful. I was able to reproduce the problem in store with the S&V disc, but only on the studio 40, not the cc. They had a tweeter on hand and swapped out the bad one, problem solved. It's been a week or so and all is well. Funny enough, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with the cc again, but I'm not worried since my dealer assured me that if it does happen again, there is a 5 year warranty.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Justin, that's nice to know. I'm pretty sure it's the tweeter. I brought it to another dealer and they will look at it.

I asked if I could "prove" it with my disc I brought along, but they didn't have time. The other store I think just didn't want to deal with me. The guy gave me an amazing deal on the speakers, maybe he just didn't want to have to fix them since he made no money? I don't know, all I know is that if they actually think ALL speakers make that sound, they know NOTHING.

If this new dealer pulls the same stunt I will bring my disc back in and prove it. But they sounded more like they believed me, than the other store did. The guy also said they would test it before the weekend! The other store told me 2 weeks just to test it!

We'll see.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be willing to bet it's the tweeter. The same thing happened to me when I first listened to my Paradigm 100s at home. One speaker 'crackled' from the tweeter, and I knew it was bad.

I swapped the bad tweeter out for a new one, and presto! Problem fixed.

Another excellent way to test for the problem is to use a CD containing piano music. That is how I found the problem in the first place.

Get the tweeter swapped out and your problem should be solved.

James G.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ok, the "2nd" dealer called me, said they were ordering a new tweeter. Get this 20 minutes after I brought it in!

Only thing is, because I didn't buy it there, I have to pay $10 for shipping of the tweeter. He said, I could bring it back to the first store and they will absorb the cost of the shipping ($10) if I wanted to. I said, no thanks, I'll pay the stupid $10. Just as long as it is fixed!

Although I do find it hard to believe that paradigm would charge their dealers for shipping everytime one of their speakers needed repair!

Whatever, I'll pay the $10 no big deal, they probably just wanted something extra for repairing it.

I'm sure the other store did not say "it's normal" just to save $10 would they???

keir

Stunt Coordinator
Keir, I don't have the S&V disc, do you remember the test tone?
it was the main test tones used to balance the 5 speakers. basically pink noise above 80 hz or so i think. if i turned it up anywhere near 79 db or above, i got the crackling with the bad tweeter and not on the good ones. the song i remember that caused the crackling was by the band meshuggah and called ritual. not a very common track though ;)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
For future reference, some dealers are willing to let you take out the old tweeter at home, take only the tweeter to the dealer, swap it for the replacement, take the new one home and install it yourself. My dealer is, anyway. A bit of work, but you don't need to prove anything to anybody. On the other hand, the Paradigm factory is nearby, which might contribute to their great customer service.

Martin.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Paradigm is funny. They want you to deal with the dealer, and then give the incompetents at the dealer the yea or nay as to whether an item needs fixing or not. I would never buy one of their products as I've had bad experiences with them. I had a sub (PW2200) whose amp buzzed. It did it at the dealer and at home. Paradigm's response: they all do that...

Never even considered another Paradigm product after that. I unloaded the piece of sh_t at a loss and said sayonara to Paradigm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks