What's new

Tweaking Philips 64PP9751 Picture (1 Viewer)

StevenP

Auditioning
The Equipment:
Philips 64PP9751 HDTV
Denon DVD-2800
Monster M500V Component Video Cables (2m)
AUX 1 DVD Y Pb Pr (Interlace fm player) [or]
AUX 4 HD Y Pb Pr (Progressive fm player)
Here’s my problem; AUX1 Component signal is great, but there is still discernible noise, slight but noticeable. It is visible with both the blue flash screen from source and with a picture on the screen. This connection also requires an Interlace output from the DVD player. On the other hand, the AUX4 connection with the Denon set to Progressive Scan looks outstanding. The image is sharp and clear (and not to boast to loudly), this is one of the best outputs I’ve ever seen.
But… There is image loss to both vertical sides with both connections. I’d say a good 2” to 2.5” loss per side (with the picture is centered). AUX1 allows for different Analog formats: Panoramic, 4x3, 16x9, and Theater 1&2. With AUX4 input picture format is fixed. I’ve mixed and matched format settings between the set and player, but can only get the full picture by boxing the image to AUX1 with the 4:3PS setting on the DVD player. I would like to be able to use the AUX4 inputs for the better picture quality.
There is very little information in the manual about the menu options when working with the VGA/RGB/HDcomponent connections (AUX4). These menu’s are slightly different then the other input connection menus. One option “HOR PHASE” allows me to shift the image horizontally, like a computer monitor. Another “BP WIDTH” (Back Porch Width?) has no noticeable effect. Can this edge loss be corrected? Can this be tweaked? Would I be able to do this on my own? Can AUX1 be set to accept an Progressive Scan signal?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks