What's new

Tweaking a plate amp - PE 300-794 (1 Viewer)

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
After an e-mail conversation with John Kreskovsky about high-pass filtering the line output of the Parts Express 300-794 250 watt plate amp, I'm preparing to change some resisters to provide a 12 dB/octave high-pass at around 90 Hz.

Now I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade the components in the HP circuitry, since all the signal for the front left/right speakers will be passing through these components. Replacing the stock ceramic capacitors would require 4 ea. 0.1 uF/100 volt and 2 ea. 0.7 uF/50 volt capacitors, presumably polypropylene, or at least good NPE's. Would it be necessary to upgrade the capacitors in the LP section as well? How about the Op-Amps?

My system includes a Denon AVR3300, 5 NHT SuperOnes and an Adire Rava. I'll have to add separate amps now, and am considering a Signature 2.1 (cheaper) or a Parasound HCA-855A or -1205A (better sound). With equipment of this quality, would upgrading these components provide noticably better sound?

I've never gotten to this level of tweaking before, but I'd hate to spend $500-1000 on a new amp and have cheap parts holding back the sound quality. Do I need to worry about this?

Peter

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
why not just let your denon handle the bass management and just use the sub out to your plate amp? then the amp's high pass filter won't be a factor at all.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
why not just let your denon handle the bass management and just use the sub out to your plate amp? then the amp's high pass filter won't be a factor at all.
I have been doing that since I got the Rava, and the system sounds pretty good. But after listening to better systems with full-range surround speakers, I've decided that the common wisdom that bass is omni-directional and one sub for all the bass is enough, is not completely true. I'm planning to have one sub (the RAVA) for the front three channels and LFE, and a second sub (my homebuilt DVC 12") for the rear channels. This will also allow me to add a SACD and/or DVD-A player and still hear all the music.
To accomplish this, I will need to use either the crossovers in the subs to split the signals between the S1's and the subs, or additional active crossovers before the subs. Obviously I would prefer to use the sub crossover's I've already paid for if the sound quality won't suffer. Since the AVR3300 (and most other receivers) doesn't have pre-out/main in connections, I will also have to add at least 4 channels of amplification.
I haven't tried to explain all this to my wife yet, so if anyone has a good sales pitch, I could use that advise as well.;)
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks