What's new

TV with NO composite jacks (1 Viewer)

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
I was just asked by a co-worker how to hook a dvd player to a tv, that only has the 75 ohm coaxial cable input. Currently they have it hooked up via a vcr, and then have vcr hooked to the tv. Most DVD's are unwatchable in this configuration (due to copy protection i would imagine).

My question is this, if i purchased an RF Modulator for them, that would accept the composite inputs, and then routed it out via 75 ohm coaxial cable, would we see the same effect as using the vcr mentioned above?

Just thought i could throw this out there to all of you home theater junkies in case someone had run into this before. (BTW, my advice was to purchase a new tv with composite inputs.)

Thanks for the help! This place is awesome!

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
A RF modulator will fix the problem. As you assumed, the VCR is causing a problem with macrovision.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
IMy tv only has the coax antenna input, so I bought one of those adapters. The salesman at Best Buy suggested putting off the DVD purchase until I could get a better tv. I won't go as far as to say he was right because I enjoy my system, but I could see his point. I get distortion when there are titles or when I change the saatellite channel. So next on the agenda is a better tv.

Problem is, I want a widescreen RPTV. Then I'll need a progressive scan DVD player..........

This doesn't end, does it?

Troy Swope

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the input. i found a rf mod from ratshack, and downloaded the instruction booklet. looks like it was the ticket. i told my coworker this is what she should do... (that is until she gets a new tv!!) thanks again for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks