What's new

TV recommendations under $700 ? (1 Viewer)

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
I need to replace my decades old 27" Signature (Zenith) and need some help, please. What would be a good, reliable, quality set at least 32" that I could get to make viewing my DVD collection more enjoyable?
And as an aside, is the Sony Wega TVs the only sets that can use a 16X9 setup for anamorphic? (excuse my ignorance)
Thanks in advance
Jim

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Jim, as far as I know, yes, the 27" and larger Sony WEGAs are the only non digital TVs that have a menu option to do the anamorphic squeeze. There are other brands that have the ability to change this via the service menu, but it affects everything you watch on the TV and is a big pain to change.
As for whats a good TV to buy for under $700, my recommendation to you is to go to your local Best Buy and Circuit City and just look for yourself. Sony, JVC, and Toshiba all make models around 32 inches for around what youre looking to spend.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you are, looking for a good 32" TV. I've done some research and I'll try to share what I've found.
First, you won't find a 32" TV that does the 16x9 anamorphic squeeze for less than $700. The cheapest Sony Wega that does the squeeze is the KV-32FS13, selling for $899 this week at Best Buy and Circuit City, although I've talked to a salesman at Sears and they're willing to pricematch it at $765 + shipping (price I found online)--should be roughly $800 + tax. However, I've finally seen the squeeze in person, and it is awesome! If your budget is $700 it's definitely worth the extra $100 + tax if you are big into DVDs, in my opinion.
The main problem with the squeeze trick on the KV-32FS13 is that it's not automatic. Every time you switch away from the component inputs it resets itself. To get automatic 16x9 you have to step up to the KV-32FV27 for about $1200 at Sears. They'll pricematch to $985 though. This is currently my TV set of choice. I might pick one up as early as this weekend.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks