What's new

TV Explodes during videogame, girl loses hand (1 Viewer)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
This story doesn't sound right.

I think there will be more coming out in regards to this story.

Sounds like a Meth lab exploding. I've heard plenty of these stories and this sounds very similar.

Paul

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I agree with Paul something doesn't jive right here. I to have heard plenty of stories of Meth labs exploding in just this same fashion...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think there is more to this too. She had her door locked? That was the door to her room, I'm assuming.

For a TV picture tube to explode, it would have to go through some very serious problems first. Even though the tube has about 25k volts going into it, if it fluctuated enough, a fuse would pop first. The front glass is also about 1" thick, and it would take considerable amout of force to bust that in order to do that damage to her.

Glenn

Cam S

Screenwriter
Was she hugging the tv when this happened or what? This story makes no sense AT ALL. I hope the cops are investigating other causes.

Andy_S

Second Unit
Not to mention the inside of the tube is a vacuum, so it would implode (if you've ever made a hole in a TV tube, you'd hear a hissing sound as air gets sucked into the tube).

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Both her hands had to be on the TV at the time, due to the fact that she lost one hand, and three fingers on the other.

I'm guessing it was some sort of electrical discharge, not the tube exploding first.

Maybe she was pissed off at the game, grabbed the TV and shook/slammed/smashed it, causing the 120VAC to short in the case, which, depending on the condition of the breaker on that circuit, may not have immediately tripped. The ensuing fireball would have burned the bejesus out of her at the point of contact (her hands), and started a big fire.

Just a guess. I've been knocked to the floor by 120VAC before (pre-pubescent knife-in-toaster trick), and by 450VAC (maintenance-not my fault- heavy seas). That was like being punched in the head/torso by a 2 foot tall fist- I was sore for a few days.

Todd

Maybe she was playing Mission Impossible. Little bug in the game, though. "this game will self destruct in 5 sec's..." "oops".

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
If she was anything like us folks in the HTF forum, she was probably sitting on top of a homemade 15" subwoofer cabinet with bass shakers wired into a 200 watt amp. First time she got nailed by an opponent in Mech Assault, the resulting sonic wave blew the room to pieces and probably put her head through the ceiling. After the amp started on fire and she stumbled out of the room, she blamed the TV convergence for making her miss her last gauss shot.

Ah well, maybe it was a Meth Lab though...

Karl_O

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone on this thread feel sympathy for the young woman who lost her hand and fingers as a result of the accident? Why do I sense insensitivity (someone mentioned a drug lab) on this thread?

My concerns of course.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
The injuries are tragic, yes, and I find no reason to poke fun at the situation. However, that doesn't stop me from being utterly baffled and perplexed at the apparently large number of details describing events following the accident yet almost no details about those leading up to and including the explosion.

Karl_O

Stunt Coordinator
I am sorry, but unfortunately, some of the posters are insensitive towards the young woman's tragedy. I wonder how these posters feel if strangers mock them after they lost a hand and several fingers as a result of an accident?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I feel sorry for her, and I personally would hate to lose any digits, but something about a TV just blowing up seems a bit strange.

And how close would you have to sit in front of a TV for it to just blow up and then have that much damage be done to your hands?

So I feel for her, but I question what supposedly happened.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I heard (can't remember where I read it though) that it was a gas explosion. So it could have been that the tv just set it off.

I am sorry, but unfortunately, some of the posters are insensitive towards the young woman's tragedy. I wonder how these posters feel if strangers mock them after they lost a hand and several fingers as a result of an accident?
Yes its unfortunate, but I have seen no one mock her, everyone is mocking the explosion. There is a difference. No one's forcing anyone to read the posts and no one needs to told something that they find funny, isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks