What's new

True Romance UHD from Arrow (UK) (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Great news. The previous Arrow no-frills blu ray release of True Romance in 2019 used exactly the same master as the dreadful Warner US blu ray from 2009. Quite unusual for Arrow to revisit such a recent release with a new 4K scan.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The product page on Zavvi indicates it's region free. But what about their "dual format" 4K/BD? Will standard BD players and (especially) drives have trouble with these discs?

Edit: nevermind, found the standard BD.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Arrow has been including a card with their 4K and blu-ray releases for Inglourious Basterds for over a year. I'm sure True Romance is not going to be their only Tarantino "Special Edition".
IMG_3967.jpg

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The product page on Zavvi indicates it's region free. But what about their "dual format" 4K/BD? Will standard BD players and (especially) drives have trouble with these discs?

There's no such animal as a "dual format" 4K UHD/Blu-ray disc. The 4K steelbook merely includes a standard 1080p Blu-ray along with the 4K UHD disc as part of the package.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
There's no such animal as a "dual format" 4K UHD/Blu-ray disc. The 4K steelbook merely includes a standard 1080p Blu-ray along with the 4K UHD disc as part of the package.
Thanks. The product photos don't indicate which disc is which and there's two versions of the movie and "dual format" sounds misleading and... ugh. A confluence of stupid marketing mistakes.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Arrow has been including a card with their 4K and blu-ray releases for Inglourious Basterds for over a year. I'm sure True Romance is not going to be their only Tarantino "Special Edition".
View attachment 96099

The dream release would be ‘Pulp Fiction’. No doubt it would be a major league seller, but I have no idea about rights, and all that business. The same applies to ‘Kill Bill’ 1 & 2, and for me personally, the less heralded but greatly loved ‘Jackie Brown’.

Physical media is in a strange place, and the recent larger stake claimed by Disney makes matters even worse for a larger number of titles. I think we’re headed back to the future, to a return to the Laser Disc era model, with much smaller distribution and much higher prices, catering to a core of dedicated collectors.

But to be honest, the situation that has developed over the past 10 to 15 years, when the “just buy it” assumption took hold, was never sustainable. The relentless downward pressure on prices wasn’t realistic. People demanded maximum bonus features, maximum mastering and transfer quality, and topped it off with never ending complaints, and refusing to pay more than absurdly low prices. Contrast that with the bulk of the public, the convenience of streaming, and it was all doomed to failure, at least in the sense of mass marketing.

Maybe a return to a smaller and more selective market won’t be such a bad thing.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl

All UHD 4k discs are region/zone free by default.

All releases will play on any UHD player regardless of location in the world.

BD release may be region locked.

Would be odd for them to lock it though unless those were the terms in the licensing agreement with the owner of the movie.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
The dream release would be ‘Pulp Fiction’. No doubt it would be a major league seller, but I have no idea about rights, and all that business. The same applies to ‘Kill Bill’ 1 & 2, and for me personally, the less heralded but greatly loved ‘Jackie Brown’.

Physical media is in a strange place, and the recent larger stake claimed by Disney makes matters even worse for a larger number of titles. I think we’re headed back to the future, to a return to the Laser Disc era model, with much smaller distribution and much higher prices, catering to a core of dedicated collectors.

But to be honest, the situation that has developed over the past 10 to 15 years, when the “just buy it” assumption took hold, was never sustainable. The relentless downward pressure on prices wasn’t realistic. People demanded maximum bonus features, maximum mastering and transfer quality, and topped it off with never ending complaints, and refusing to pay more than absurdly low prices. Contrast that with the bulk of the public, the convenience of streaming, and it was all doomed to failure, at least in the sense of mass marketing.

Maybe a return to a smaller and more selective market won’t be such a bad thing.

I would very much like a Pulp Fiction 4k release too.

Been holding off purchasing the Blu Ray in anticipation of a 4k release at some point.

I have posted information myself in relation to physical media prices increasing and many companies going bankrupt leaving just a few labels left releasing products at higher prices.

I have said it before many times and I will say it again physical media is so cheap right now and it can't last.

Take advantage of it while it lasts. I certainly have and will continue to do so.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that one of the reason laserdiscs were manufactured for over fifteen years, despite never reaching mass-market appeal, was that film studio heads and top executives wanted the laserdiscs in their home cinemas! Whether that's an apocryphal story or not, would only be possible to confirm if one knew those people personally! What's certain, is that home cinema, for a collector, has never been better. The equipment and discs make film watching now equal to a cinema experience, at a fraction of the price that it used to cost. There will always be physical media for collectors, but the collectors might well be limited in numbers to the number that used to purchase laserdiscs. Anyone doubting that, only has to look at the limited edition sets that Arrow are producing. The Battle Royale 4K UHD set selling for $100 + shipping and import costs, sold out immediately upon release a week ago. Second Sight's Dawn Of The Dead 4K expensive box did similar business last autumn.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

I’d also love a Pulp Fiction UHD, but I think the standard BluRay looks fine. Jackie Brown needs a remastering though.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Never say never. ViacomCBS now holds a stake in Miramax that includes physical media rights. If the case can be made for a 4K UHD release, it's a possibility.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Arrow Video UHD is fabulous. It was an absolute joy to revisit. There's a comprehensive review over on The Digital Bits.

IMG_5571.jpg

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. The product photos don't indicate which disc is which and there's two versions of the movie and "dual format" sounds misleading and... ugh. A confluence of stupid marketing mistakes.

Whatever you want to call it, the True Romance Arrow BD is region B Locked.
Again -- none of the retailers whether Zavvi, Arrow, Amazon or any other should be trusted when they mention region coding. The back of the case or disc labels aren't any more reliable. New Arrow UK blurays are about 50/50 at being Region A friendly. IF Arrow releases the itme in the UK and US nearly simultaneously it's better than 95% it's Region A and B (and may actually be closer to 100%)

Like all normal 4K, the UHD is no Region. There are apparently 4 or 5 mis-encoded 4K discs that have some version of region lock despite 4K discs not even supposed to be capable of such.

So far these 4K discs have some authoring issue causing them to be Zone Locked

Outpost -- several of the Nordic discs are B locked (has region free option from Germany)
Death Wish (region locked B)
Greenland -- like Outpost, several EU releases are B Locked (has region free option from Germany)
Shout US Weathering With You (locked A) and I think the EU releases are B Locked

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Whatever you want to call it, the True Romance Arrow BD is region B Locked.
Again -- none of the retailers whether Zavvi, Arrow, Amazon or any other should be trusted when they mention region coding. The back of the case or disc labels aren't any more reliable. New Arrow UK blurays are about 50/50 at being Region A friendly. IF Arrow releases the itme in the UK and US nearly simultaneously it's better than 95% it's Region A and B (and may actually be closer to 100%)

Region coding is so easy to defeat these days I'd call this a virtual non-issue.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Region coding is so easy to defeat these days I'd call this a virtual non-issue.

Should be, but there are a ton of people I'd consider power users who still are still Single Region adn have no desire to change.

I guess I have 3 region free players so that;s where my foot sits. Actually I have an old Seiki sitting on the shelf so actually 4,

Got me thinking just for the absurdity of the whole player situation -- somewhere in the house I also have several Region A only players. 2 Sony's I got 'cheap' from Disney Movie Rewards in 2010, a fat PS3 (or 2) my kids they left behind, and 1 or 2 Clearance LG 4K players I picked up at Walmart for $25.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks