What's new

trouble opening "My Pictures" and others (1 Viewer)

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what I did wrong, but starting yesterday, whenever I left click on the my pictures folder, the "Search Results" window opens instead of the folder.
If I right click on my pictures, "search" is highlighted with open and explore below it not highlighted. I can right click and choose "open" and get where I want but I want to change it back to how it used to be. Any suggestions?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
My dad used to keep all his digital photos in the "My Pictures" folder until Windows XP got hungry and ate them all up! Fortunately he had a backup. I would suggest keeping your photos in a regular folder instead.

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, but I have the same problem with anything that is a folder or file folder. I actually did create a new folder and transferred the photos but ended up with the same problem.

Still at a loss....

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Curtis, I don't mean to spook you, but I had a similar problem and was unable to open My Documents & pictures. This was a short time back, but it was virus/worm. That sounds like your problem.

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Zen, I really hope it's not a virus...

I am able to open these folders, however I need to right click on them and them choose "open". The default right click choice seems to be stuck on "search" which I can't seem to find a way to change. I was really hoping this was going to be one of those stupid :b questions which there would be an easy answer for. I know my HT equipment but am not quite up to par on the computer end of it.

Curt

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I did a virus scan and turned up nothing. Also did a scan for spyware and turned up nothing unusual.

I had a customer come in and wanted to show off some custom kithens we've done in the past but couldn't get them to open properly. Good thing I had printed off some photos previously.

Must keep trying....

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Keep trying I did and finally figured it out.

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Recovery

Did a system recovery back to the beginning of July and presto! everything back as it was.

I only mention this as I'm sure there are others out there like me that aren't masters of their computers. Maybe this "technique" can help others in some problems they may be having.

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like your "Open With.." got messed up. If you hold down the Shift Key and Right Click on, say, an image. You will see in the list of thing you can do (like Open or Explore) an extra selection called "Open With..."

Clicking on this will open another window which will show all the different programs in your system that you can attempt to have your image file opened by.

Be extra carefull if your fooling around with this function as a wrong choice in the Open With screen will make files open in the wrong program or not open at all.

Glad to hear your System Restore helped you out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks