What's new

Trouble converting HDMI to component (or VGA) (1 Viewer)

kc7eph

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi all! I'm working on hooking up my home theater equipment, and am running in to a little snag.
Here's my equipment:
XBox 360, HDMI
BoxeeTV, HDMI
Yamaha RX-V371 receiver
NEC MT1075 projector
The problem I'm having is getting the video out of the receiver up to the projector. The best connection that the projector supports is VGA and component. I've tried a couple of different HDMI to VGA/Component converters, with limited results. One of the converters sent no signal at all up to the projector, only the "HDMI" icon on the receiver was flashing. The other converter sent up the blue and red channel, but no green.
I understand that industry doesn't want me converting a digital signal to analog, but with so many HDMI/VGA converters out there, I figure that there is one that must work.
Has anyone had any success with a particular model?
Thank you!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is your solution for $5.51
http://www.amazon.com/15ft-Premium-HDMI-DVI-Cable/dp/B000HDJY7K/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353712943&sr=1-5&keywords=hdmi+dvi+cable
Or is 15ft isn't long enough...25ft for $8.25
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-HDMI-M-DVI-M-Cable-feet/dp/B000QYWQW0/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353712943&sr=1-10&keywords=hdmi+dvi+cable

kc7eph

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Argh... Seems I'm not getting much love from the digital devices world...
Received the cable today, hooked it up, so far so good. The projector recognizes that there is a signal coming in to it from the receiver, but I just get a black picture.
In the signal information on the receiver, now it tells me "HDCP error".
With a little bit of Google-fu, it appears that this may be due to the projector. I wonder how to get around this hurdle?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Weird. Projector Central says the DVI is a DVI D. NEC marked it as DVI. Which typically means it is DVI-I....
I is not HDCP compliant...
D is HDCP compliant.
You could try 720P or 1080I as well. It is possible it won't recognize 1080P over the DVI.
The other issue "could be"...was the AVR on when you plugged in the HDMI-DVI? If it was, turn it off, unplug it from the wall...give it 15 minutes...
1. connect the HDMI-DVI
2. Turn on your AVR
3. Turn on your projector
4. Turn on a source.
If not done in that order, first time set-up...it won't establish handshake.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Another possibility...
I'm not up on bottom rung AVR...but...
1. Is the on screen set-up on the HDMI on that thing? (low end AVR do not always have set-up on the HDMI)
2. Your sources are connected HDMI? (that AVR does not have HDMI upconversion)
3. HDMI output is turned on?

kc7eph

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Ok, first off, I really appreciate your help, feel free to run anway whenever you want!
I did your suggestion of unplugging my AVR. Powered devices up in the sequence you suggested.
And... The xBox shows up on the projector, but no audio.
The BoxeeTV does not show up at all.
I'm not able to switch between sources, if I do, the xBox goes black, and does not come back when I switch back to it.
Before I got this cable, I had audio, but no video. Now it's the other way around.
It seems to me, with my lack of knowledge, that this may be an HDMI problem in the AVR. Would you agree?

kc7eph

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Also, I've got the xBox set to 720p. When I set it to 1080p, screen orientation was off, was unable to fix that up on the projector. 1080i option grayed-out on the xBox.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To me...cause you have to do the set-up properly...and fully...
1. Xbox...
The video needs to be tied to the HDMI. Fine, it appears you have done so.
The audio also needs to be tied to the HDMI, cause you "could" have it set up to leave the Xbox analog.
2. Boxee
My guess is you haven't gone into its set-up to make its HDMI take the video. I assume the Boxee has component as well?
Bottom line, 90% of all devices out there...can only use one type of video output at a time. Since you weren't using your sources HDMI before...you have to change them to that now.
Essentially, if you ever buy one, BD players on initial set-up have to run off the composite video(that would be the yellow) until you can set it for HDMI. Then once you do that, the composite no longer works.

kc7eph

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
On the xBox, there is a media plug that breaks out the signals in a couple of different ways. However, to use HDMI, you have to remove this plug, and it does not fit back in when using HDMI, leaving audio and video over HDMI only.
The Boxee only supports HDMI. I have used the Boxee on another AVR we have in the house, and Onkyo unit. I've got it set to 720p.

arnet

Auditioning
Real Name
Noneya
It seems like you have the video figured out, in order to use HDMI to feed my video and to use my component only Receiver for surround sound i followed this little trick . It allows you to used both the component and HDMI connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks