What's new

TPM DVD is edited, new edition, not same as theatrical print (1 Viewer)

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the deleted scenes segment for the podrace, then I watched the actual movie, and during the podrace I noticed some of the new footage shown in the deleted scenes have been added into the movie, but not all of it, I havent noticed any other instances yet but there may be more than just the podrace scene.
I checked it against my Japanese LD. and Im not saying that the Japanese LD is the theatrical us cut either, though I believe it to be. There are scenes on the dvd that I clearly dont remember seeing
Specifically: Anakin spinning upside down in the race and fishing in his engine connection, also some cuts of the aliens. But the deleted footage shows Sebulba flashing others with his engine vents, and this was not in the movie, so the whole deleted scene is not edited into the movie, just parts of it.
Im surprised no one else has caught this, and if this is old news, I sincerely apologize, I have been reading frequently and didnt see anything currently mentioning this, though as common around here, stuff like this was probably mentioned in the review thread weeks ago.
I checked the dvd box, it doesnt mention that this is a directors cut or reworked cut. But this of course is what GL has been talking about all year, maybe this is what he meant by reshooting and reworking.
So this is the Phantom Edit!
The THX trailer is a nice touch, loud and surprised my wife when it came on, I'd rather have the cows, but it fits the movie well.
[Edited last by Lucas Dang on October 08, 2001 at 01:13 AM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the DVD cut is slightly expanded with shots they didn't have time to finish for the original release
Jeff Kleist

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes, it had been mentioned that there are additional scenes in the movie. It’s not just the
pod race, I’m surprised you didn’t mention the air taxi sequence in Coruscant.
Funny, take this observation. Any valuable or classic movie when is tampered, is followed by cries, requesting the original un-altered version. With TPM, no one gives a … about how many times they change it! Personally, although that I will buy the DVD, it doesn’t bother me! They can change it as many times as they want!
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Sam Davatchi on October 08, 2001 at 03:21 AM]

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
It's funny how people DO NOT complain about "Armageddon: Criterion" or other Criterion movies being a longer cut, but as soon as it's a "Star Wars" movie, there is a giant uproar!
I fail to see the difference...
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~
[Edited last by Artur Meinild on October 08, 2001 at 10:29 AM]

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Well I needed to find a reason not to buy this, guess I found it!
and
I'll be passing on this one, for sure.
And the thread farting continues. What's the old saying?
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything!
Can't wait to get this puppy playing in my HT system!
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Here is what I understand to be the reasons this cut is different than the "Special Editions" of the Star Wars movies. As opposed to footage that was on the cutting room floor and then re-inserted in a movie...or totally altered scenes...the footage here was not in TPM because Lucas could not get the scenes done in time for theatrical release. Thus...it's not known if this footage would or would not have made the final theatrical cut.
I have the LD which is the theatrical release...and now I have the DVD which is extended. Best of both worlds I guess.
------------------
"The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
David Manning-Critic
Scooter-Palooza 2..Be There or Be Square!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../030866.html#5

Jan Jessen

Auditioning
I just got my disc a few days ago and i think that the "new" cut is great :)
Artur, du spiller så smart! :)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Hmmm...so with these additional scenes, does the movie still suck?
biggrin.gif
(I'm totally kidding.)
For me, I don't mind if they add additional scenes into the movie. The International version of Leon is a great example of where it differed from the US Release, and in my eyes only made the film better.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Artur, I didn't know that Rock Criterion is an extended version. What did they add?
------------------

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Scooter was close. According to the interviews from the DVD announcement press event, the scenes were cut during the editorial process before the extensive post production was performed. At the time, based on the footage and whatever animatics had been created, Lucas thought this was the right editorial choice. When they performed the full digital post production process to the deleted scenes for the DVD, Lucas reassessed his choices and decided to include the air taxi sequence and portions of the extended pod-race sequence.
The way Lucas et al are working on these films borders on animation processes. The digital post production is so expensive and time consuming that they try to make as many of their editorial decisions as they can before it is performed.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The additions were made known when the DVD was first announced, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise (err.. unless you didn't see the announcements :))
My copy arrived this morning and I'm quite happy with the disc. They seem to have put quite a bit of effort into making good extras rather than the usual bullshit you find. Transfer is good (but I've seen better) and the whole thing is just a nice package to own.
I ran through most of the disc and I like the bits they've put back in. If you don't like that it isn't exactly the same as the theatrical cut, then - without wanting to sound rude - no one is forcing you to buy it.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It’s not just the pod race, I’m surprised you didn’t mention the air taxi sequence in Coruscant.
Could you ellaborate on this? I saw the Disc at Fox last month and doidn't notice any added scene other than the Podrace one. I knew the scene was supposed to be in the film- but I think I missed it.
Maybe I fell asleep?
Anyone wanna fill me in on the "air taxi", where it falls and what specifically was different from the theatrical version?
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Yes,
When they get off the Air taxi, The Princess walks off with Palpatine, and Anakin follows... They never showed Anakin... Also Qui Gon waves him on, and you see the Ship take off and fly away.....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email:
[email protected]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Artur, I didn't know that Rock Criterion is an extended version. What did they add?
I'd like to know as well, because I saw this in the theater and I don't recall any added footage.
It's certainly nothing new to have footage added for a home video release. Previous examples include Star Trek VI (the sequences with Colonel West) and Godfather III (numerous scene extensions).
M.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Okay, I'v finally snapped with a few comments made here and in other threads about Star Wars TPM.
If you didn't like it, fine don't buy it. If you enjoyed the movie... great, buy the movie on DVD and watch it till the disc disolves into dust.
I have a question: For those that liked the "Original" trilogy... how old were you when you saw it the first time. How many of you had grand HT setups. How many of you had the biggest stress in life was passing math. And when you saw the first Star Wars, did you walk out of the theater going "..that was okay, but the director was way off, and who is this Han Solo, couldn't he have been a better actor and who the crap is Darth Vader, the sound just sucked, it seemed to go on and on with no ending... I give it two thumbs down".
Me, I was just some little kid that went to the theater and was blown away with imagining a distant universe and light sabers and stuff. I couldn't give a rats ass about George Lucas and who he is, I was just a kid enjoying a movie. I watched the following movies with the same type of enthusiasm.
All of a sudden I'm knocking Jar Jar and wondering about different scenes, etc. I'm a movie critic... OMG what happened to just enjoying the movie. The second time I saw TPM, I took my two little nephews... and guess what.. they loved it, just as I did when I was there age. It made me remember how much the movie was about... being blown away with imagination, fun, good vs evil. There are many people that really hated this movie, and that's fine by me. I'm not sure what expectations they had, but apparently the movie "missed" what "they" had wanted. But why all the "whose not buying this, or One more reason not to get it" bulls*&T. These are the people that I want to know all the movies they own.. because I beat my last dollar they have a movie that I HATE and believe was stupid. But do I post "why the heck are you going to buy Lawarence of Arabia", about a freak old man in the desert.... NO!
How about the next reviews we give, we let a group of ten year olds watch and let them tell us how to rate the movies (can't wait to see how Citizan Kane ranks below Pokeman).
I'm just saying every movie made, may not be made specifically for you. Everyones taste, styles and preferences are different. You enjoy the movies you like, as I will mine... but if you don't have anything nice to say... just shut up.
Now I have to take my medicine and get some rest before making an appointment with the doctor.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
This was not started as a "pro-" or "worship" thread, so why dumb down the forum and not let people speak their minds?
That's right - this is a thread about new scenes in the home version - not whether one is buying it or not.
Speak your mind by all means - but present a reasonable mature argument.
There is already another thread for those who want to post that they are not buying it.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Guess this is a little off topic but here goes. The Criterion edition of The Rock is not extended by any means. It's the same version we've always seen, except for one shot where Goodspeed fires his gun at the airbag (when the train has been blown up and comes towards the Ferrari). However this shot was removed from ALL video releases and only shown in theaters.
Concerning Star Wars... Have had it for a week now but haven't had the time to watch it yet. Maybe now is the time? :) The video reviews has kept me hesitant.
------------------
A Little Slice of Heaven
[Edited last by HenrikTull on October 08, 2001 at 10:24 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks