What's new

TPM: A Horizontal Line that's Not Supposed to be there (1 Viewer)

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I've noticed a horizontal line in the top of the screen. It is a black line that is just below the top border of the image. Has anybody noticed this? Do I have a defective disc. I've noticed it on my direct view and rptv.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Check the old Forrest Gump thread. I'm thinking that it's the same thing some people were noting on that release.
Regards,
Dan

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't read the Forrest Gump thread, but it sounds like you might be seeing the visible artifact of the Analog Copy Guard Management System (CGMS/A), which places copy-protection information on NTSC lines 21 & 22. If you look closely for it, you'll probably see it on ALL of your DVDs. Seriously.
(I hope I didn't just ruin your entire collection for you!!)
Or maybe you're seeing something totally different, I dunno ... just a possibiliy.
:)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I believe it's been identified as the same "ringing" or "edge enhancement" effect as on other areas of the transfer.
It is not on all DVDs.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
In the beginning of the movie, when all you see is mostly black space and stars, I can see a fine horizontal line on the bottom and top of the image. Between the image and the beginning of the black bar, I would say it's about 2" thick on my 36FS13 Wega. Anyone know what this is?? This is the first DVD I have noticed this...
Thank You.
------------------
PJ

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
It could possibly be the real letterbox from the anamorphic image.
Uh...I mean, doesnt that TV have a 16:9 conversion mode? It works by moving the CRTs rasters so you see the full resolution from anamorphic dvds. The line you are seeing could possibly be the "real" black bars on the master of the dvd itself. Then, the darker ones above are the "negitive output" area of the CRT that isnt outputing any light.
I am not sure. I just know that those Wegas have that feature and Im justing guessing.
------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
2" inches thick? Sounds to me like you are seeing the Letterboxing mattes. This is normal on films with 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Joshua, he says
quote:
Between the image and the beginning of the black bar, I would say it's about 2" thick
[/quote]
I interpret this as meaning the line is 2" below the black letterbox bar, but not that the line is 2" thick.
I haven't looked for this on my TPM DVD, but the same thing is indeed showing up on my Forrest Gump disc. Since I still only have a crappy 20" TV, it doesn't bother me much (I wouldn't have noticed it on FG if I hadn't known about it), but I believe I read somewhere that it is due to the edge enhancement on the DVD. I have never seen Matt's explanation about copyright information before, but maybe that's what it is, both on this and Forrest Gump.
In any case, there's nothing you can do about it, AFAIK.
/Mike
[Edited last by MickeS on October 24, 2001 at 05:53 PM]

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Mine is just a horizontal black line. It is not thick at all. Just a thin line just below the top border of the anamorphic image. I'm exchanging my copy.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
But isn't edge enhancement represented by "halos" around objects? This thing is black line stretching across the screen.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I was thinking that but the lines don't sound like they're in the right position. This is an artefact of all Sony Trinitron tubes. Very weird they can't get rid of it. Downside of quality, I guess.
wink.gif

Len Cheong

Second Unit
No, it's not the Sony lines. I've got a Toshiba tv and a Pioneer RPTV. I can't believe people haven't seen this line being that so many own this dvd.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Thats odd, my monitor that Im looking at right now is a Sony Trinitron. Pc monitor anyway and it has these two black lines at about 1/4 and 3/4 areas on the monitor. Allways thought it was a defect cause this thing is a few years old.
------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks