What's new

Toshiba service menu variables - UNICOLOR, SUBCONT??? (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I was finally able to track down a copy of the service manual for the 20AF41 Toshiba tv. I suspect the service menu is the same for the 24AF41 and perhaps the new flat tubes also have a similar set up. Using the manual, I was able to determine what some of the variables do: GDRV, BDRV are for the high end of the grayscale, GBIAS, RBIAS, and BBIAS affect the low end. There are 4 geometry adjustments: PARABOLA,TRAPEZIUM, CORNER TOP, and CORNER BOTTOM. THere are also the usual horizontal and vertical size and positioning variables.
In addition to the above, I was able to determine that the set was 3 different adjustment "modes" - one for each type of input. If you bring up the adjustment menu while using the Component Inputs, you're in CS mode. If you're using the RF input, it's TV mode and any of the other composite/Svideo inputs and you're in AV mode. Most of the variables are identical in all 3 modes which means they're most likely global settings. But, there are a few that are different and I'd love to know if anyone knows what exactly they do:
UNICOLOR
SUBCONT
TINT is also different but I'm assuming TINT simply sets the same thing as the user level setting - i.e. it sets a baseline from which the user level setting then makes tweaks to. But the other two listed above I am not sure about but they're somehow related to color I would assume? Does anyone have any clues for me?
thanks,
--tom

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Bump...none of the service level experts know what these variables do/set?
cheers,
--tom

Steven Patterson

Auditioning
I just picked up a 24AF41, what are the codes to get into the service menu? When I calibrate mine I will let you know what I come up with, I have a colorimeter to calibrate the Gray scale.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Steven, the code to get into the service menu should be:
Volume Down on the front of the set and the number 9 on the remote, pressed simultaneously for a few seconds. There are different service settings for the various inputs...i.e. there are separate modes within the service menu but as far as I can tell things like grayscale and geometry settings are global across all inputs. I think there were only 3 variables that were different and they all related somehow to color, contrast, and brightness.
I'll be interested in seeing what color temperature readings you get because I'm pretty sure the grayscale on these sets runs "hot"
cheers,
--tom

Steven Patterson

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. on the service menu. I got readings of around 12000º for the color temp. from the factory settings. The set calibrated good at 6500º from 20IRE to 80IRE. I am pleased with the results after the calibration night and day deference.
Thanks again
Steve

Jim Millar

Auditioning
Thomas-I just recently purchased a 27AF61 and was disappointed with a curvature or sagging on the upper part of the screen when watching in the 16x9 mode. It also appears at the top of the screen when in 4x3 mode. Since it is under warranty I had Toshiba come out to try to correct - the technician went through all the menus and adjusted as best as he knew how but the sagging is still there. He said the only way to correct this was to adjust the yoke but when he opened it up he found that the yoke is no longer adjustable as it is glued down. He knew of no way to adjust this - has anyone else had this problem and if so how can it be corrected? I'm thinking of returning it and trying another of the same brand as I really like the set after calibrating with Video Essentials.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Steven, what brand/device color analyzer did you use? Do you own or did you rent it? I'd love to properly calibrate grayscale on both my 20AF41 and 27A40 sets.
cheers,
--tom

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jim, the four geometry variables I mentioned are the only mechanism I know to make tweaks to the geometry. Do you have Avia or VE? Using a test pattern is the best way to see what problems you have. I still have a bowing on my 20AF41 - essentially the set bows inward in the middle at the top and the bottom but it's fairly slight and completely unnoticable until you turn on a CNBC type channel with lots of horizontal lines. I would say if you can, it's worth returning it and trying another if it really bothers you.
good luck,
--tom

Steven Patterson

Auditioning
I am running a holiday special in the Milwaukee and surrounding area for the holidays. You will receive a full ISF calibration for the prices below.
Direct view monitors & TVs $100.00 reg. $175.00
Rear projectors 4:3 $225.00 reg. $300.00
Rear Projectors 16:9 $275.00 reg. $350.00
services provided
Grayscale calibration with Sencore color Analyzer on one input type for set.(S-video, component Interlaced / component progressive / HDTV) Establish optimal Brightness / Contrast/ Color / Tint / Sharpness settings.
Center all user controls in service menu or user menu.
Disable SVM where applicable.
Provide a product specific Before VS. After calibration chart for customer reference.
You will now be able to view all your Holiday specials and movies in true color perfection!!!
--
Mr. Steven J. Patterson
[email protected] E-Mail Address
http://www.imagingscience.com/ WEB http://www.sencore.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks