What's new

Toshiba Moving Forward on 45GB HD DVD Discs (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Interesting. Looks more and more like this may actually be a reality. But I'm still not looking at this a certainty. I definitely get the impression that he is not talking about "data only" triple layer but triple layer for film discs.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Look at all the problems some people had playing DVD-18's. I can only imagine what these will be like.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I really hope they work this out and that 2nd gen HD-DVD players will be capable.

True 1080p output and triple layer are the next big guns in the format war.

Along with the overdue death of the 'combo' format...

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson

Yeah. I’ve read differing opinions as to whether these discs would really be playable on my 1st generation Toshiba, and I have my doubts as well.

I am confident, however, that 45GB discs could be perfected, produced, and ultimately played on future generation players.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
whilst it would be a neat trick to deliver triple layer, I suspect the economics would make two dual layer discs much cheaper to produce.

It would be interesting to know for example, how much data is required for a 3.5 hour film with multiple soundtracks and commentraries (hello LOTR trilogy!!) and whether the 45gb disc is really needed.

Personally I'd have no problems with a long film on one disc and the extras on a second.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Why does a player need 1080p output?

The source is 1080p, passed in 1080i, so what? The key piece of tech is your TV. If it is a proper 1080p set it will de-interlace the signal to a proper bit for bit image of the 1080p source!!!!!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The problems with DVD-18s have mostly been manufacturing problems, though, as opposed to problems with players being able to read them. As far as a player knows, it's a DVD-9. It may not play because of a mfg. problem, but you can eventually find a copy that plays fine.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

They need it because every day in Best Buys everywhere, salesmen and women are trumpeting that Blu-Ray is superior because it has a 1080P output and the Toshiba HD-DVD players do not.

Vincent

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
TV's that can properly de-interlace 1080i to full 1080p are fewer and farther between than you would like to believe (plus the encoded flags are never without errors). It is always better to get the native signal off the disc to a display that can do 1:1 pixel mapping of the full resolution bypassing the scaler without doubling up on conversions (native 1080p source to native 1080p display). If the film is encoded at 24 fps you want a display that can double or triple that rate to 48 Hz or 72 Hz... a rare find indeed, so you eliminate motion judder and reduce or eliminate flicker.

rodney_g

Grip
Real Name
Rodney

that's dissapointing, since I now have an HD-A1 and am planning on a Toshiba 62HM196 1080p DLP set. Do any of you know how this set performs? Is it one of the "fewer and far between"s?

Is 48Hz the so-called refresh rate? I see refresh rate specs on pc monitors, but not on HDTVs, at least not on the one above I am considering buying.

Thanks,
Rodney

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks