What's new

Toshiba 57hdx82 w/greenish flashes (1 Viewer)

Leigh Joel

Auditioning
Hopefully someone can shed some light. Sometimes watching DVD's on my Toshiba SD3800 the screen will have a "wave" of greenish/whitish light almost like someone temporarily flashed a flashlight across the screen. Is this a setting in the DVD or TV or is my TV telling me that it is suffering a major problem. It is only two months old. Thanks a million for any suggestions.

Leigh

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Hey is this happening on one specific DVD or can you reproduce it on multiple movies? I take it the ALS is off as well as fleshtone.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Leigh Joel,

This sounds like a problem Toshiba is having with the new electron guns they put in the HDX line.

I believe it's time to call a service tech to look at your TV.

Jan

Leigh Joel

Auditioning
Hey Rob,

Different DVD's and not all the time. Intermittent. Your sister of course can't see what I'm talking about. But I assure you, it is there.

Leigh

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Hey Jan, do you have any other info on this possible problem with these guns? Would be nice as I have this same tv and would be good to have as a preventative step.

I am also sure Leigh could use it to point it out to the service tech. Thanks!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I don't know all that much about it beyond what I've written already.

Toshiba refers to it as a "loss of red" problem, and they've issued a service bulletin about it. The tech should check that out. (Amazing that many don't bother to read the "junk mail" that comes to them from the manufacturer!)

Not all HDX sets have the problem. For those that do, it seems to start a few hours after beginning to use the set, and sometimes it self-corrects after a couple hundred or so hours.

Watch for bright green or blue flashing when you turn the set on or off. This flashing heralds trouble ahead for the electron guns, even if you don't yet have the flicker problem. If you're nearing the end of your warranty period, I'd contact Toshiba and get it in the record that this problem is occurring now, even if the tubes don't crash until later.

Toshiba hyped the new, improved electron guns to move people up to the HDX series from the H series. Now they have to take care of you if you have a problem with them.

Good luck to all!

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks