What's new

Toshiba 56 WH80-G questions (1 Viewer)

Rafe Brennan

Auditioning
I'm thinking of buying this tv, but I was wondering if there were any user sites that discussed this particular tv, it's strengths and weaknesses etc.
This represents a considerable investment for me $5000 US to be precise so I'd like to find out as much about it as I can.
Does anyone on this forum own the tv? What are your thoughts and recommendations regarding it?
thanks,
Dylan

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
I am assuming that this TV is a 56H80 that is the number that is used in the US and Canada HDTV 16 by 9 aspect ratio.
I do not know what system you use in in Australia.If it is Pal Secan that is always a better picture than the NTSC system that is used in Canada and the US
I have this set and I am more than happy with it, I bought it for price and value paying more than $5000.00 Canadian The same set sells in the US around the $3000.00 mark
The only complaint that I have is that it shows artifacts or faults in the analogue signal that you can only see if the viewing distance is close.
I looked at the Pioneer Elite excellent TV too much money,the Hitachi was very nice but pricey,the Sony a soft picture and pricey.
With all HDTV sets you have to have a good signal source such as satellite antennae and cable are inferior.
I have had mine since Christmas I have no complaints,it is good value for the money.The HD picture is awesome
I would suggest that when you view it in a store that you a view analog signal to see what the quality of the picture.Stores tend to run a HD feed or a CD which always looks good.
Good shopping.

Rafe Brennan

Auditioning
Yes we use the PAL system, the same as in Europe , hence this is the European model of the tv.
All tv stations here in Australia broadcast digital signals which you decode via a set top box. Im not sure how much of this is HD though. Would this look good on the Toshiba?

James FT

Stunt Coordinator
There is very limited programming of HD in north America .There are two channels Showtime and HBO that show movies on the satellite dish but many of the movies have up converted signals. CBS appears to be the leading broadcaster in the USA with the majority of their evening shows in HD.
There is no doubt that the programming will increase. I would suggest that you do some web surfing and see what signals are available in your area.
These sets do a very good job with dvd although it is not same picture quality as HD/
Many of the members on this website talk about terrestrial signals on this site,and yes there are some problems receiving the signal this is something u should check out along with the availability of programming.
Perhaps you are premature in buying a set that is a decision that you will have make based on informed judgment.
The set box that you talk about in the use in the USA and I believe it can handle satellite signals as well as terrestrial signals.
There is no HD TV in Canada we get out signals from the USA. The Canadian satellite company Bell Expressview run one channel hd rotating feeds from the 4 American networks NBC CBS ABC and Fox which is verify poor quality.
They also run a movie channel in HD which operates at certain tines during the day.
So as you can see we have programming availability. Again the HD picture is awesome and after you watch you have difficulty watching an analog signal.
The standars sound track for HD is Dolby Digital the Toshiba TV I believes only produces dolby pro logic so you need a tuner receiver to handle the DOLBY Digital aspect of the sound.
Some of the other brands of TV ,the Hitachi in paticular has a built in Doby Digital Decoder I do not know if the sound is an issue that you may be concerned about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks