What's new

Top 100 Albums and High Resolution (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
RIAA has an interesting list of the top selling albums at:
http://www.riaa.org/Gold-Best-5.cfm#
I have been thinking...We spend a lot of time debating SACD versus DVDA. Maybe we can be more positive and debate which titles the Forum would prefer to have out in ANY high resolution format.
What are favorite albums of yours would you like to see out in high resolution format?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Of course, Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" !!!

But no Britney Spears or Kenny G for me.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
How in the hell could any Kenny G disc be in the top 100 selling albums of all time? Dadgummit, something just ain't right with the world ;)
Dire Straits is certainly one that is a great choice as Danny alluded to.
Next on the list would be anything from the Beatles' catalog.
I find it interesting that Pink Floyd's The Wall has sold more copies than The Dark Side of the Moon....
Those are the ones I'm most clamoring for.
The good news is that several of these are laready available in High-Res as well, which indicates the marketing folks are paying attention to at least some of their choices for release.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Of course, Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" !!!
I would like to get any Dire Straits in Hi-res. Love Over Gold in particular could be a very interesting multi-channel release. Since they are Warner artists they would be on DVD-A, but strangely there has been no rumors. You would think a top selling album like Brothers In Arms would be a no brainer to help drive a new format.

I would also like some releases from the obvious choices like The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. I would also like to see some more Springsteen (studio albums, not live recordings), Fleetwood Mac, and The Eagles. I also noticed from the link Lee posted that James Taylor's Greatest Hits is a Warner release. This is another title I would like to see in DVD-A to complement the titles already out on SACD.

Jazz output has been decent in SACD, but I would like to see Sony put out more non-Miles material. There is always room for more Jazz on DVD-A since it has been virtually nonexistent.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I guess the one genre missing from both DVD-A and SACD is rap. I think the only Hi-res rap release to date has been the DVD-A of Missy Elliot which was an edited version to boot if I am not mistaken. While I am not the biggest rap fan by any means, nor is it style of music favored by those who buy Hi-res music at this point, it is still severly under represented.

I would probably pick up some Public Enemy, Run DMC, Notorious B.I.G., or Tupac but outside of those artists there is not much else that has interest to me. That is probably the very reason there are not alot of Hi-res rap releases.

J

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Albums I would most want in the High Rez formats...

1) Kiss - Destroyer (or anything from 73-78 for that matter).
2) Anything by Shawn Colvin
3) Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (I think Empire is on DVD-A, but I only have SACD)
4) Anything by Suzanne Vega
5) Anything by Led Zeppelin
6) Bonnie Raitt - either "Nick of Time" or "Luck of the Draw"
7) Anything by Robert Cray

I'm sure there are more, but these top my list.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Titles I would kill for on SACD or DVD-Audio (not considering any titles that have been announced or are rumored to be coming out):
* Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
* Early Madonna: Madonna, Like A Virgin, True Blue
* Steely Dan Aja
* Genesis: Abacab, Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance
* Metallica: Master of Puppets, And Justice For All
* Guns 'N' Roses Appetite for Destruction
* Boston: Don't Look Back, Third Stage
* Rush: anything, especially Moving Pictures
That's a few for now. I'll probably chime in with more later. :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Keith, that would be Guns N' Roses "Appetite For Destruction". "Welcome to the Jungle" was just the name of the first single.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Keith, looking at your list of Genesis titles, I was just curious if you listened to any of their old stuff (ie, with Peter Gabriel). I personally would prefer something like Foxtrot, but I like everything they do and would be happy with any title from their catalog.

Here are just a handful of albums I would kill to have on high-res (and I'm keeping it practical, as I know there isn't a chance in hell Dream Theater or Grant Green will release a high-res album):

Miles Davis- Bitches Brew (yes, there's a lot of Miles out there, but this album is pretty big).

The Beatles- Revolver

Tool- Lateralus

Herbie Hancock- Empyrean Isles

King Crimson- Lark's Tongue In Aspic
King Crimson- Discipline

Rush- Moving Pictures

Joni Mitchell- Court & Spark

John Coltrane- Giant Steps

Radiohead- OK Computer

Charles Mingus- Tijuana Moods

BB King- Live at the Regal

NP: Yes, Fragile, DVD-A

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan,
Of course! That was a brain lapse on my part. You know what I mean. ;) I corrected the post. Thanks.
Mike,
Sad to say, I don't yet have any Gabriel-era Genesis, but I have heard it, and it is great stuff. I grew up on the post-Gabriel stuff.
In case you are not aware, Bitches Brew is available on SACD in Japan (often referred to as a JSACD). You can order it through www.hmv.co.jp . I've considered doing that, but I keep hoping it will come out as a cheaper domestic release. After all, Sony has shown it in the past couple of SACD catalogs. Anyway, I ordered the WHAM! Make it Big JSACD from hmv.co.jp a couple of years ago, and it came within a week. It cost $43 to get it, though -- $25 for the disc and $18 for shipping.
All,
Mike reminded me of the Beatles. I'd love to see Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and "The White Album" come out on SACD or DVD-Audio.

JordanS

Second Unit
Actually, someone close to Pink Floyd's management filled Joe and Sandy of Pink Floyd-C0 that DSOTM has actually sold around 52 Million copies worldwide...........that link is just for the United States.......DSOTM has sold more records total worldwide than The Wall.....

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Titles I to like see in High Resolution
:star: Pink Floyd : The Wall
:star: Pink Floyd : The Final Cut
:star: Depeche Mode : Violator
:star: Megadeth : Countdown To Extinction
There's a lot more, but I can start with these :D

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
What are favorite albums of yours would you like to see out in high resolution format?
You realize this is just going to turn into a "What are your favorite albums?" thread, right? ;)
Without doing that myself, here are some selections:
Ry Cooder's Paris, Texas soundtrack -- because I'd love to hear that beautiful guitar music at a higher rez.
Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks -- with the unreleased version of the album also (in my dreams...I know.)
Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers -- c'mon Virgin, ABKCO did it. I wanna hear Wild Horses in high rez!
and just about anything by The Beatles.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the great replies. Now for my picks:
1. Van Morrison - Down The Road, Summertime in New England, Poetic Champions Compose, Moondance
2. Beck - Midnite Vultures
3. Steely Dan - Aja (great pick Keith!)
4. Rob Wasserman - Duets (great redbook)
5. Pink Floyd - The Wall and Dark Side of The Moon
6. Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
7. Rush - Moving Pictures (really anything)
8. Led Zeppeling - anything
9. The Beatles - anything but really like Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper
10. U2 - The Joshua Tree, Elevation
All of the above with clean remasterings from original master tapes on as much tube-based equipment as possible to get the best possible sonics.
:)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Mike:
Both Moondance from Van Morrison and some other great titles are listed as future titles with no set delivery date on the Quad board which is focused on Surround Music on SACD, DVD-A and even quad LPs.
Big titles listed for release over the next few months include: Bonnie Raitt's Nick of Time, The Band Music from Big Pink and the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds all from EMI.
In addition, Jackson Browne's Running on Empty and Naked Ride Home, and 3rd title from REM Document are listed as upcoming on WB. The JB titles were listed as release yesterday, but I don't believe they have shipped.
I'm wondering if Steely Dan's The New Album (No official title yet) will be a day and date CD and DVD-A release. The recording is done.... knowing their past record it could be a year or two before we see the finished material ;)
Regards,

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, I'm assuming all the discs you just mentioned are scheduled for release on DVD-A ONLY, correct?

That would totally bum me out if Bonnie Raitt finally made it to High-rez but I couldn't hear it because I don't have DVD-A capability. Perhaps it's finally time to break down and upgrade the DVD player, huh?

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I would first of all say that EVERYTHING on the top 100 list should be available in high resolution for the format to succeed, but here are some of my personal favorites that I'd love to see for starters:

As mentioned previously...Anything by Led Zeppelin, but especially the first six albums

AC/DC - Highway To Hell, Back In Black, For Those About To Rock

Metallica - Master Of Puppets

Black Sabbath - Any of the albums with Ozzy on vocals, but especially Paranoid and Master Of Reality

Guns & Roses - Use Your Illusion 1 & 2

Nirvana - Nevermind, In Utero

Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien

Van Halen - everything with DLR on vocals

Judas Priest - Any of the albums, but especially British Steel and Screaming For Vengeance

Ozzy Osbourne - Anything besides what's already been announced for release, but especially Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman (in their original form and not the 'remastered/re-recorded' form)

Ratt - Out Of The Cellar and Invasion Of Your Privacy

Dokken - Under Lock And Key

Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast and Live After Death

White Zombie - La Sexorcisto and Astro Creep 2000

Audioslave - Audioslave

Alice In Chains - Anything besides what's already been released, but especially Facelift, Dirt and Alice In Chains

Tool - Aenima

Korn - Follow The Leader and Issues

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks

Def Leppard - High N Dry and Pyromania

David Bowie - Greatest Hits

Garbage - Garbage

L7 - Bricks Are Heavy and Smell The Magic

Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

Kiss - Destoyer

Danzig - Lucifuge

Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil and Too Fast For Love

I could go on and on, but this gives the general idea of what I'm hoping to eventually see released.

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought Neil Young's "Harvest," and even though my DVD player is not DVD-A capable, I was blown away. Perhaps it's just been that long since I listened to the album, but it sounds great.

It's got 4 audio choices: DVD-A, DTS, DD, and regular stereo. Out of the three I could listen to - DTS, DD, and stereo - I actually preferred the stereo version.

I can't wait to check out the DVD-A version when my "old," as in six months old, player is replaced by a newer product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks