What's new

Too much power into a Sony SAWM500 (12" 150W RMS) Subwoofer ? (1 Viewer)

pauld.nz

Grip

Hi, i have a Sony SAWM500 active (12" 150W RMS) Subwoofer connected to a Kenwood 6.1 110Wx6 Reciever.

Having read the Hometheater primer , the sub is connected like option 2.

2- Another way to connect the sub is to use traditional speaker wire and to connect from the receiver's "Front Left" and "Front Right" to the subwoofer's "L" and "R" speaker inputs, then connect the front left and front right speakers directly to the subwoofer. Essentially, the subwoofer will always play the low bass information from the front channels as apposed to an LFE sub that plays only "low frequency effects" as intended by the audio material.

My question is : Is the sub drawing on power from the reciever as well ? ? Could i be pumping more than 150Ws into it?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The Kenwood actually barely even knows the Sony is there - it just senses the signal from the speaker wires - it doesn't "use" it.

The Sony amp is doing the work - it's maximum unclipped output is 150 watts into it's own driver.

There are no issues with this setup, no stress involved. After a while, change the setup to another scheme and listen for improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks