What's new

Tonight: "Hondo" on Turner Classic Movies (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, in June on TCM there is going to be a very rare showing of one of my favorite John Wayne westerns. The film is "Hondo" and it's one of the Duke's best. Get those vcrs and pvrs ready for this coming Tuesday night.
  • "Hondo" showing on TCM, June 11th @ 8:00 p.m. ET
Crawdaddy

Peter_A

Second Unit
Way off topic I guess but wasn't there a Married With Children episode about one of those rare times when "Hondo" is actually on TV?
OK, I now return you to your regular programming. :)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Does anybody know if this will air on the european version as well?
Peter_A, you are correct, but that's about the only thing I can confirm. Al missed it, of course... and so will I probably :frowning:

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not here. :angry:
But, I trust this one will come to DVD in a near future... please...
Cees

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
As I understood, Hondo is pretty rare on any home video format as well. Something about one of Wayne's grandchildren stickin spokes in the wheel... Then again other, long-lost movies has appeared on DVD as well, and as I suppose the reason ultimately is money, they won't make any money by not releasing it either, so you would think they would release it while there still are fans with personal firsthand recollection of the movie.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
It was shown years ago on TV in 3-D, I still have the R&G glasses.
Maybe someday if there are any good prints left, we'll see it in full color 3D.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Way off topic I guess but wasn't there a Married With Children episode about one of those rare times when "Hondo" is actually on TV?
Well, I now feel just like Al Bundy. TCM didn't show Hondo tonight, even though it's in the TV listings. Al never got to see Hondo, and neither did I. :frowning:

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Well, looks like TCM isn't showing it after all. They are showing a Robert Mitchum movie instead. Oh well, I love Mitchum, so it's no that bad..still, I was hyped up to see Hondo. :)
I hate it when a channel prints a schedule and then doesn't stick to it.

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
They probably saw you post that Hondo was Al's favorite movie and quickly removed it from their library. :thumbsdown:

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
"Where Danger Lives" is what they are playing instead. John Farrow directed it and "Hondo" so that might be what mixed them up. Dunno.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I had printed out the June schedule and Hondo wasn't on there, so I was surprised to read about it here. But then I checked the listings on replay tv, and sure enough it was Hondo. Now it appears they've gone back to what was on the website. Odd.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Direct TV said Hondo was on, but it was another movie. I got my VHS I originally had the Fullscreen version on ready to tape over also. Damn. THEY LIED!!! But, hope it comes on again so I can tape over the fullscreen version I got on VHS with the OAR version.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
HONDO is occasionally revived in the original 3-D format at revival houses in the larger cities. Good prints do exist.

The 3-D TV version from 1991 was downconverted to the inferior red/blue anaglyph format and in no way represents the quality of the original photography.

HONDO was shot in Natural Vision 3-D using a dual camera rig in the 1:37 to 1 academy ratio. Yes, many theatres ran a matted version and some advertisements would have mentioned widescreen, but the OAR would be a full screen version. All of the older 3-D films were shot square and the correct way to screen them in in 1:37 to 1 ratio. Matting or cropping them for widescreen effect often resulted in ruined 3-D effects!

This goes for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (and all of the dozens of other 3-D films shot in 53 and 54) also, despite the commentary by Tom Weaver.

Warner should include a good field sequential 3-D version on any DVD release of HONDO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks