What's new

Tobey Maguire - vegetarian... (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
My grandmother has lung cancer. She doesn't smoke. My grandfather was a heavy smoker for many decades and died of lung cancer 25 years ago. Coincidence?

My close friend immigrated to Canada with her parents and her brother thirty years ago. They didn't pass the medical examination because the doctors thought she and her brother had tuberculosis (their lungs showed up as pitch black in x-rays). Wisely, her mother forced the father to stop smoking indoors (he was a heavy smoker too) and 3 months later they were allowed to enter Canada with clear lungs. Coincidence?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that smoke is bad for you.

RichP

Second Unit
Wow. Just Wow...

The incredible amount of ignorance being displayed in this thread is truly astounding. :frowning:

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member

But isn't one of the main benefits told of being a vegetarian the health benefit? I know several real vegetarians and they seem pretty healthy. My point was the Toby doesn't seem like a real vegetarian. But who knows, it's all speculation anyway. I realize that people can get the calories from crap food. Would you call someone that just eats doughnuts, coffee and cigarettes a vegetarian? I guess technically they are. I admire real vegetarians for their conviction, not the ones that say they are for fashions sake. I on the other hand am a meatatarian, give me a steak and a potato and I'm all set. ;)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
IMHO thats pretty cruel.

Ive often let myself go a bit after months and months of weighttraining, work, pressures of life, etc stack up. I eat whatever I want, drink a little more beer, whatever.

Its no big deal. Everyone needs a break now and then.

Hes prob just relaxing now while he can(since gonna have to get in shape soon for Spidey which starts shooting in Jan I think).

F*ck Jessica Alba. Bitch.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I guess with a multi-million dollar contract and a top trainer and nutritionist to get your ass in shape, I see why he would let him self go.

But that can't be too good for the heart. He just turned 30, and the ups and downs of losing and gaining weight can take it's toll.

I could only imagine what kind of toll Christian Bale's health and body has gone through.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I've seen Tobey around town quite a few times, as recently as a month or two ago- and he didn't seem all that overweight to me. Even in the poker picture shown on that site he looks of "normal" build, even in a horrible photos.

Again, when I've seen him he just looked like an average guy, heck I think one could argue in the past he's been a bit underweight for his frame.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Can one of the HTF moderators change my name to Misses O'Leary's Cow please ?

Also....herbal cigarettes eh ? So...is marijuana an herbal cigarette ?

:wink:

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott

The '93 EPA report has been thoroughly discredited for cherry-picking only data that supported a pre-ordained conclusion. That was Penn & Teller's main point and the reason some people just :rolleyes:whenever someone recites the "conclusions" from that report as if they were gospel truth.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The EPA's report obviously isn't the end-all and be-all of second-hand smoking reports. There are tons of others - a google search will give you a lifetime's worth of information from all over the world.

To be more definitive, someone should lock a bunch of people in a room with smoke from cigarettes piped into the room. Let's see how long they last. :D

Joe, are you living with your parents now? Lungs will clear up over time, but your risk of cancer goes up. A lot also depends on the type of cigs smoked and how often you stayed indoors with them. My grandmother lives in Hong Kong where the outside temperature is typical 100F to 120F during most of the year - everyone stays indoors for the airconditioning. Quite a different environment from Colorado.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
As a vegetarian all my life due to frankly not liking the taste of meat or fish, I find it odd that people see vegetarianism associated with health, but I'm guessing that is more of a US thing than a British thing.

Over here most people are veggies/restrict the sort of meat they eat because they object to some aspect of the production of the food.

On top of that, good vegetarian cuisine is often cited by the people I know as a reason they are happy to pick veggie options over meat ones in restaurants: the lack of meat makes many chefs produce something quite different and tasty. It's also good when you go on holiday as there's less chance of getting a dicky stomach. We stayed veggie in Egypt and that food was gorgeous. :)

(Though obviously curry, the greatest food known, is always good regardless!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks