To Hire a Pro Calibrator or Not - HELP!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by WendellW, Jul 25, 2006.

1. WendellW

WendellW Auditioning

Hi all:

I should be taking delivery of my new Sammy HL-S6187W within the month (from TVA) and cannot figure out whether to have it professionally calibrated or whether it can be a DIY job.

I've been working with a pro-installer to the extent that I've bought my speakers and remote through him, and otherwise picking his brain within reason, and I AM a serious DIY kind of person. He deals with plasma and projectors only (no DLP RPTV's) and says that his crew never needs to do much beyond the set-ups that they've learned over the years. He's convinced that by just running through the set's menus I should be able to tweak to the extent I would probably find necessary.

Yet, I read some of these forum pieces and get the sense that to really get it right, I ought to spend a couple of Franklins or so to have a pro come in and do it. I'm comfortable enough to begin to wade into these menus myself, but having never done this before, am slightly anxious that I could just as easily make an errant turn and get myself into big trouble too! Am sure that if someone walked me through it, I'd figger it out quickly and that would be it.

Your collective thoughts will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You must at least begin with a basic setup using Avia or DVE.

Calling in a pro calibrator will depend on how picky you are with images and how much it is worth to you.

I am very surprised your installer recommends against that, it doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about.

3. WendellW

WendellW Auditioning

I'm familiar with DVE, but what is Avia? Thanks.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

A similar disc.

5. WendellW

WendellW Auditioning

Thanks Chris:
    While you were replying, I checked out their website - appears to be a tad more user friendly than DVE. Will probably go the Avia route. I downloaded your guide and will consult that as well when I have the chance. Many thanks again!

Cheers/Wendell

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys

TVAuthority works in conjunction with Lion AV to offer nation wide calibration services. TVA offered a power buy special on the Samsung DLP display. They can also offer you a discounted calibration price that will save you about $100 over the standard Lion AV pricing. Contact your sales person for details.

Happy viewing!!

Gregg

7. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I just had my Panny RPTV re calibrated again by Gregg and it looks awesome again. This was my second calibration from Gregg on the same set. It's well worth the extra money.

Gregg, you're awesome. I will be calling you again on my next upgrade.

See you in a few, at CES!!!