What's new

TNG Season 2 1 Less Disk Same great Price ! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
THat's rightdespite having 4 less episode than the other seasons Paramount is charging the same as all other seasons. Preorders are all starting to roll inand they are all the same price ! Oh Joy !

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Shame on Paramount for wanting to make money...

Then again, they're not willing to fix defective discs...

Daniel L

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Actually, I don't think it's Paramount. They're pricing with a MAP instead of a MSRP, so the final price decision is up to the retailer, not the studio.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Is the glass half-full, or half-empty?

Look at it that the sets with the extra discs are a bonus deal, and that the smaller set price is the 'regular' price.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah, make that 5 fewer episodes. Most people don't consider Shades of Gray and episode. :D

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Im quite happy with Paramounts pricing on season 1 (considering their pricing policies on some bare bones movies), so if the second season is going to be priced the same, so be it. I'm buying it anyways.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty happy with the price, too, even if - in the long run - I'll find out that one of the seasons has one less disc than all the others.
But I will agree that "Shades of Grey" barely counts as an episode! Maybe, instead of airing it in the first year, they should have saved for the ending of the second year the one called "Too Short A Season"! :laugh:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The no MSRP/MAP thing hasn't really worked out. Retailers are putting this one at the X-files price point, and I don't think that was intended. It's too bad really. At $150 MSRP I wonder if we would have gotten the R2 containers.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I absolutely agree, Paramount has given Retailer free reign to charge what they want. If Paramount's intention , as stated, was to allow fans to get the eps below $100, the should have put an SRP on the sets of $99.99. Then we'd all be getting the sets around $70. That to me would be reasonable. There's alot of other Disks vieing for my DVD $

so Now I have to consider whether I want these to eat into the entire budget and buy nothing else. I hated the way they released TOS but at least that way allowed for a gradual purchase and it did'nt hurt as much, still 26eps for $100 isn't terrible, just hard to budget for.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I remember when we first heard about TNG being MAP priced, and how that could create "competition" between retailers. I was too looking for something around the $80 price point. But I'm thinking that we may eventually see these prices, just not when they are initially released.
Hopefully by the time Season 3 comes out, retailers will put Season 1 on sale for around $75.
(not that I'm waiting that long to buy Season 1. See, the retailers know what they're doing :) )

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully by the time Season 3 comes out, retailers will put Season 1 on sale for around $75.
If the X-files sets are any indication, I would doubt we'd see that at the B&M level. Unless the price for Season 3 and on gets set lower, that is.

I don't intend to wait either. Whatever the best available price is by street date, I'm buying it.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Also, please realize that TNG is NOT MAP priced.

There is no MSRP

There is ALSO no MAP.

Basically the problem stems from the fact that retailers are making up their own MSRP for the item and charging accordingly. They've nearly all chosen the X-files MSRP to set this price, as opposed to Buffy or Stargate.

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
I don't care what the MSRP or MAP is or isn't. I have to believe that the retailers are marking up based on their wholesale cost.
Is there any way of knowing what that is? I'd bet wholesale is close to the wholesale for the X-files sets.
Michael

Joel C

Screenwriter
It will be interesting to see what my brother's employee discount will be on this set (he works at Best Buy). 5% over cost will tell us what exactly cost it.

I really want all the episodes of this show, so I've placed an order at CDNow with a coupon, but if his price is lower, I can always cancel. But I can't imagine buying $700 worth of Deep Space 9, since I haven't seen very many episodes, even though I AM very interested in seeing the entire run.

If the sets were closer to $70, I might buy all of DS9 and Voyager too. Might.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I stand corrected.

So what is the deal? If they have total control over the price, you'd think someone would have a distict price difference. Unless the current price point is really close to the wholesale cost.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about the big chains, but I know the wholesale cost for the store I shop at is about $10 lower for STNG than X-Files. Maybe that's why their using 20% off $134.99 ($107.99) as a price.

Daniel L

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So what is the deal? If they have total control over the price, you'd think someone would have a distict price difference. Unless the current price point is really close to the wholesale cost.
Let me try to re-phrase what I've been trying to indicate all along with this title's pricing:
In this situation, where the retailers do indeed have "total control over the price", they want to maximize the potential of this product. The marketing VP's at each chain will consider both how much profit they can get for each unit, vs. the advantage of using it as a loss leader and increasing store traffic for a week or so. And that's a SEPARATE issue, my friends, then the issue of what the everyday price will be after the week-of-release sale price!
As was stated by another poster, they will start with their wholesale cost. As you imagine, Best Buy will pay a lot less than will, say, Turtle's Music (a regional chain of music/video retail stores in the southeast USA; I didn't intend everyone to know the name...but they're a great example of a chain that will purchase in less volume than Best Buy will).
BB will get volume discounts that a smaller chain like Turtle's cannot get. They may get a higher volume than Circuit City will, since BB has to supply Suncoast and Sam Goody stores, too, among others that they own. However, Suncoast and Sam Goody won't charge as low a price as BB, since they have to pay their mall rents. But BB will probably beat CC on this one. However, Turtles will beat none of the big chains on price, unless they are willing to make some huge sacrifices.
But will BB beat a Target or a Wal-Mart price? Maybe; maybe not. Tg's and WM's don't stock box sets like this usually, except in small doses. WM's stocks quite a bit more than Tg's, but nowhere near BB levels. Also, I don't know the store counts of each: are there more WM's and Sam's Clubs to buy for than the combined store count of BB and all their sister chains? Even so, WM might get a higher volume discount based on other Paramount titles ordered at the same time, or other considerations.
Okay, but we know that BB is pre-selling it for $99.99 with a bonus CD-ROM. Can WM beat that? Well, I just checked back with their web site, and it seems they can beat it by $1.11, though no bonus items are mentioned! Of course, I have [rant]NEVER[/rant] found WM's web prices on DVD's to be the same as the in-store prices. Often lower than the store price, sometimes they're higher, but they've NEVER matched...not even once! So what does this mean to the store price for TNG Season 1? NOTHING! :)
Oh, but let's go back to Sam's Club for a second. They're still not listing it on their web site. SC's only Star Trek DVD items ever have been the TNG Widescreen Films 3-pack and ST:TMP-DC (if all my initials are losing you, just ask...I assume most of you know these). So maybe it won't even be there. Even though Costco already lists it, they usually don't try to go head-to-head on a media item like this...it's just not profitable enough.
Getting back to Circuit City, Link Removed!! :eek: We can assume that will be their everyday price after first-week sales are over. But then, CC also charged $99.99 for The Godfather daily, but they were discounting it to match BB's price range for the week-of-release sales (high sixties or mid-seventies range; I forget). So we might see a really low CC price on TNG S1 on that Tuesday.
This last example demonstrates how CC charges a low low price right off, for a 5-day period, to increase foot traffic and increase ancillary sales while making some of their customers associating them with great prices. Then, after that, they keep the prices high and maximize profit off of "sucker" sales to dopes who don't shop around.
Everyone else does it, really...though not as drastically. BB maintains their reputation and customer loyalty by keeping prices lower than list, but they try to balance profit on one title by marking it a bit higher than another title with a similar SRP. In other words, of three DVD's that list for $24.99, one might sell everyday for $19.99 and the others for $22.99; the cheaper one being the higher profile title. They have to sell three of the other skus to make up the lost profit on the cheaper title, but in the end they make all of their money and their customers feel happier than if they charged $20.99 for all three items.
In the end, everyone's price on TNG will be a balancing act based on each chain's philosophy as to "what's profitable". They will keep their plans pretty close-to-the-vest until the last minute.
I fully expect to see cheaper prices on this item for week of sale than the pre-order prices we're seeing now. I've been wrong before, and might be here. But don't be surprised if you see an all-out price war come street week! :laugh:
Here's to hoping, anyway!

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I can't believe $99 for 22 or 26 episodes irritates people. That's a LOT of material for under $100.

Hell, I wish they were cheaper too, but c'mon... Paramount is a business... and I think we're getting a pretty good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks