What's new

TNG S4: *GREAT* Bonus Disc (but only at Best Buy and BB-owned stores) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As most TNG fans know, Best Buy and their sister chains (Suncoast, MediaPlay, Sam Goody, and OnCue) have been adding to the TNG box sets an extra bonus disc, available at no other chains:
  • TNG S1: TNG Companion (Scripts and "Next On..." Trailers for all 7 seasons)
  • TNG S2: Interactive Tech Manual (3D Virtual Tour of NCC-1701-D)
  • TNG S3: Books-On-Tape of 2 Star Trek Novels on CD in .MP3 format
The new bonus disc for S4 is the best one yet! It's a DVD (which is why this post is here under Software, rather than in Retailers or in Bargains/Coupons):
Planned price is $99.99 for the S4 set, with the free Bonus DVD to be attached to the back of the box, under a stick-on sheet and under the shrinkwrap.
Here's what the bonus disc looks like:

Click here for the official info at BestBuy.com.
As a deep TNG fan, this supplement is really cool, and will make it worth my while to spend an extra $10 getting this set at BB rather than Costco. I hope the bonus discs for the rest of the sets are as cool! If a Best Buy or Paramount person is reading this, may I suggest that the one for S7 should include the end-of-series special which was run the same week as "All Good Things..."! :D
EDIT: P.S., I'm almost certain that this part about "A look at the design behind one of the first CGI alien creatures for the series" refers to the "baby" in the 4th-season episode "Galaxy's Child", but I won't swear to it. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
That is nice. I wouldn't mine getting the one that came with season two either.
Anyone out there that has the one that came with S2 and/or may not want the one with S4 I would be happy to purchase them from you.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Frank, keep in mind that the first two bonus discs were old PC discs that come from the era when Windows 3.1 was changing over to Windows 95:

I have an older Pentium 166 MHz they both work fine on. I also have an Athlon 900 Mhz that neither one work on. :frowning:
IIRC, both discs came with Mac versions on the same CD-ROM, so perhaps Mac users can use these as well. Take that with a grain of salt, though.
Someone who doesn't have a legacy machine hanging around in working condition may indeed part with their copy. But make sure you can use it if you go to all that trouble! :)
The DVD is nice; everyone who buys the box set can use it!

Chris M

Second Unit
I didn't try to hard, but I couldn't get it working on my Win XP either... I think it was problems with Quicktime or something :frowning:
Chris.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
The bonus sounds neat, but Canadians have to pay a pretty hefty premium to get it: we can buy the set without the bonus at any Canadian Costco for CAN$117, or buy it with the bonus at a U.S. Best Buy store for over CAN$160!
:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Future Shop has had all the extras so far, I doubt that Season 4 will be any different. It should be somewhere between $120-$135Cdn. I'd say this one will be worth the extra money. The Season 3 bonus sure wasn't.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
that is the first bonus disc that actually looks like it is worth getting. very cool. I wonder though is it really free ? because best buy charges $10 more than say a costco for the set I look forward to season 4! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The bonus discs from the first 2 boxes work fine on my G3 Blue and White Mac.

I had not seen these CD-ROM editions at work before it is very well done.

Nelson

Chris M

Second Unit
Here we can get the set at Costco for $117 or at Future Shop for $118. Hmmm, which one? :)
Future Shop is definately the way to go... if you live in the East.. try futureshop.ca (free shipping I think too)
Chris.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think it was problems with Quicktime or something
The various versions of Quicktime can be very vexing on the PC. The problem is probably that you either selected an "install Quicktime" option or that the program installed it without asking. This would have resulted some or all of the files from an outdated version of Quicktime (the one on the disc) over-writing files on your hard drive. I used to have endless problems with this when Quicktime was first introduced - including with the Interactive Technical Manual pictured above. I often had to use the custom installation option on various programs to install whatever version of Quicktime they wanted to install into its own directory - otherwise one program would hose up the version installed by a previous program and one or both wouldn't run. :) You might try looking for a custom install option and using it, or reinstalling the most recent version of Quicktime you can find after installing the ST discs.
Regards,
Joe

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
You might try looking for a custom install option and using it, or reinstalling the most recent version of Quicktime you can find after installing the ST discs.
This is excellent advice. I've found that the latter suggestion works most of the time for me. The bottom line here, though, is that Apple messed up with Quicktime on the PC almost from the very beginning. From 1995-1999 almost every new iteration of QT was in some fashion incompatible with the prior version.

As to the topic, I've already pre-ordered my TNG Season 4 from Suncoast (where I own a REPLAY card) and am really looking forward now to the bonus DVD!

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
That would be a nice disc...who produced it btw? Is this an official thing from Paramount?

I can only hope somehow it will come to R2...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Future Shop is definately the way to go... if you live in the East.. try futureshop.ca (free shipping I think too)
Chris M, I've heard that FutureShops, as a BB-owned chain (just Canadian based), is also carrying the bonus discs. Can you verify that?

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Dave,

I've bought the first three seasons at Futureshop and each one had the exact same bonus discs that BB had so I'm expecting to get the same thing this time as well.

Patrick

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Tempting. That may sway me to pay a bit more at Best Buy. Depends on how the prices for this set fall out.

Chris M

Second Unit
David, yeah, what PatrickM said :) Futureshop does indeed carry the extra bonus disc with the ST:TNG sets. And in Western Canada you can get the box sets for as little as $118.99! (about $75US).
Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks