What's new

tivo and stb setup (1 Viewer)

kram

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I just recently got a Sony HT-7000DH HTIB (love it by the way) and almost have everything hooked up the way I want. If you need to know, I have a fairly old 36" Sony CRT tv only capable of 480i with no digital audio connections. I have a few questions though...

I have a tivo and a digital cable box that I want to hook up to the receiver. Right now the set top box is hooked into the tivo and the tivo audio cables are hooked into the receiver while the video cable is hooked directly into the tv. The first time I hooked up everything to the receiver I used rca cables for everything because that seemed like the only option that made everything work. I would rather hook everything into the receiver instead of having to change inputs on the tv and receiver. Then, I got two component cables, one from the dvd player to the receiver and then from the receiver to the tv. The dvds look great but digital cable will not show up, only the audio. Is that because the digital cable box is hooked up to the receiver via yellow rca rather than component?

Next question,
When I watch HBO on digital cable, is it required to have a digital coax cable to get 5.1 audio? The box does have that connection but my tivo doesn't. How can I hook up the tivo to everything if it doesn't have any kind of digital audio connection since the set top box is hooked into the tivo and the tivo into the receiver? The only way I see to hook everything up is to use rca cables but then I would lose 5.1 audio correct?

I hope all that made sense. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is correct, you will lose 5.1 audio since Series 1 and 2 Tivos do not support digital audio. If you want to record digital audio from cable onto a Tivo then you need the Series 3 model.

-Robert

kram

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the reply and I have one more question. Since my tivo doesn't support digital audio recording, could I just connect the digital cable box directly to the receiver to watch 5.1? I don't mind not being able to record in 5.1 but I would like to be able to listen to hbo in 5.1 but still have my tivo working even if it can't record in 5.1.

Edit: So I got 5.1 working on my digital cable box, but the video lags behind the audio. This didn't happen with regular stereo rca cables. I figured out that the video was lagging because it had to go through the tivo then to the tv. I hooked up the digital box directly to the tv and the coax cable to the receiver and everything is perfect except now the tivo isn't hooked up to anything. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can split the video coming out of you cable box and sent it to both the Tivo and the TV. Start with a cheap Y adapter. If the quality drops, then you may need a video distribution box. Those are available at Parts Express.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks