What's new

Tips for Bass-Induced CD Skipping? (1 Viewer)

Robert Cobb

Agent
I am frustrated by the frequent skipping that occurs when playing bass-heavy CDs at high volumes. I'm certain it is not caused by scratched discs. Both my CD player (an old Onkyo) and DVD player (cheap Samsung) exhibit the problem with multiple discs. My subwoofer is at least 8 feet from the players and yet I am forced to turn down the sub AND the volume before skipping stops. I think the DVD player has pixelized or paused a few times from bass-heavy movies, but this has not been a common problem.

So, I am trying to decide what troubleshooting steps to take:
1) Move the CD player. It is currently on a plate of glass that is perched atop my RPTV. Moving it would be a pain and the only option, other than buying a rack, is to move it atop a main speaker.
2) Isolate the CD player somehow. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
3) Purchase a new player that has better skip protection. I have been eying the Yamaha 6480 and notice that it lists "Shockproof Memory" as one of its features. Is there a certain feature I should be looking for or a brand that does a better job than others at preventing skips?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Could it be that you're looking for a somewhat unrealistic bass response? Though acoustic feedback can be an issue (ask anyone who used to be into vinyl LPs), under normal circumstances your DVD player and CD player should not be that susceptible to room vibrations.

Perhaps you're overdriving that subwoofer. Solid, realistic low bass doesn't howl or thump but augments the overall sound, adding life to it. (If it's a "real" subwoofer, capable of strong response below 40 Hz, you "feel" the ultra-low bass more than hear it.)

How have you had the subwoofer set up?

Robert Cobb

Agent
Thanks, Jack. If someone asked me this same question, without experiencing the problem myself, I too would say, "Turn down the bass, that's not realistic."

But I don't think I'm over-emphasizing the bass response that much. I have an SVS 25-31PCi calibrated to run 4db hot. Yes, it slams, but I hardly think I should be skipping the CD player. I assume vibrations passed through the floor and TV are causing the skipping as I can see a slight vibration of the protective screen on the RPTV when it is turned off.

I'm not sure I understand the acoustic feedback issue you mentioned. Is this something I would hear?

I am in a basement with little absorption material (some cinderblock walls, lightly padded carpet, sofa, etc.). I'm talking about CDs like the Titanic Soundtrack and Metallica Live Sh*t Binge and Purge. Perhaps someone has had success placing rubber or foam under the CD player's feet OR do I just have crappy CD players?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi, Robert:

Acoustic feedback occurs, for example, when a turntable is positioned without proper isolation from the speakers' acoustic energy. The overpowering sound and vibrations from one set of transducers (the speakers) interfere with another transducer (the phono cartridge), inducing a feedback loop resulting in a dreadful howling noise and turntable mistracking.

Similar feedback can occur even with an optical-disc source such as CD.

That you can see your RPTV's screen vibrating suggests to me acoustic feedback is an issue in your listening room.

Whatever you can do to isolate the SVS's acoustic energy from your program sources is a must.

Robert Cobb

Agent
OK, for the price, these Vibrapod things seem like they are worth a shot. Placing them between the top of the RPTV and the glass shelf should set up the suggested sandwich approach and isolate both the CD and DVD player. Damn, I thought I might have another justification for replacing my A/V source. Oh, well. Maybe the pods will work and I can save for the center channel upgrade instead. Thanks for the feedback.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Part express dampening sheets are a great value and I use them under my turntable. See link below
Also at any lumberstore are sound dampening sheets. they are 4 x 8 but cheap (~$8) and can be cut with a normal knife.
A couple of squares should do it.
One more idea: Have you checked the player if it is level? If it's not, it will skip alot easier then a level player.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=7081&DID=7

DanaA

Screenwriter
For space considerations in my bedroom, I built a 5 component rack to fit on one section of my large L-shaped desk. I had the same problem as you with loud bass sometimes making my CD player skip. I bought some of the heavier vibrapods, which I placed under the entire rack. Now, I can hit the desk right beside the rack with my fist as hard as I can and there is absolutely no skipping whatsoever. It really surprises me how well these things work for this application. Just as a head's up, I did hear that the vibrapods leave a residue. I haven't looked under the rack myself, but did put each of the four pods in those cork coasters before slipping them under the rack.

Robert Cobb

Agent
Quick follow-up:

I ended up placing Vibrapods underneath the CD player and putting a small rubber spacer under the shelf on which the CD player sits. The spacer was in response to Grant's suggestion that I make sure the player is level. Indeed, it was not quite level.

I have gone back through the same material without incident. I even turned up the bass to levels far higher than I would prefer to listen to without a problem. I can't say that the Vibrapods have enhanced what I am hearing (Reviews on the Vibrapod web site mention this.), but they seem to have eliminated the skipping, and the extras I bought make great supports for my center channel.

Thanks for the help, all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks