What's new

Time to upgrade (1 Viewer)

Grahame

Grip
This is actually my second post, since my first became a victim over the weekend. I will restate that is great to finally find a place to get some real input from other enthusiasts at the HTF rather than that of the salesperson hocking their own goodies. This spring I will be upgrading my receiver to incorporate new processing formats an ultimatly improve clarity, depth, and separation (my technics just doesn't cut it any more). I have Mirages all around - Om-10s L/R, C2 centre, R2 rears - and I want to make them sing ( mostly movies). Budget is approx. $3000 Canadian (Max $1500 U.S.)I have looked at denon 3802, integra 7.2, onkyo 797. These would leave me with enough $ to add a 2 channel amp (parasound HCA-1000). Good idea? Should I go with such a combo or spend extra money on 4802, 8.2?

Thanks a loot - Grahame Brown

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Grahame, my advice would be to get the receiver that has the type of features you want and then get the external amp. This would give you the flexibility in the future to get a dedicated pre/pro. Unless you need the additional features that the 4802 would provide over the 3802, I think the sound quality you will hear a marked improvement with the external amp IMO.

JaleelK

Second Unit
This is actually my second post, since my first became a victim over the weekend. I will restate that is great to finally find a place to get some real input from other enthusiasts at the HTF rather than that of the salesperson hocking their own goodies. This spring I will be upgrading my receiver to incorporate new processing formats an ultimatly improve clarity, depth, and separation (my technics just doesn't cut it any more). I have Mirages all around - Om-10s L/R, C2 centre, R2 rears - and I want to make them sing ( mostly movies). Budget is approx. $3000 Canadian (Max $1500 U.S.)I have looked at denon 3802, integra 7.2, onkyo 797. These would leave me with enough $ to add a 2 channel amp (parasound HCA-1000). Good idea? Should I go with such a combo or spend extra money on 4802, 8.2?

Thanks a loot - Grahame Brown

Its clear that you will get the most bang for your buck buying the 4802. Extra amps are simply waste of money unless you have power hunger speakers that are difficult to drive with a large room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks