Time to upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grahame, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Grahame

Grahame Extra

This is actually my second post, since my first became a victim over the weekend. I will restate that is great to finally find a place to get some real input from other enthusiasts at the HTF rather than that of the salesperson hocking their own goodies. This spring I will be upgrading my receiver to incorporate new processing formats an ultimatly improve clarity, depth, and separation (my technics just doesn't cut it any more). I have Mirages all around - Om-10s L/R, C2 centre, R2 rears - and I want to make them sing ( mostly movies). Budget is approx. $3000 Canadian (Max $1500 U.S.)I have looked at denon 3802, integra 7.2, onkyo 797. These would leave me with enough $ to add a 2 channel amp (parasound HCA-1000). Good idea? Should I go with such a combo or spend extra money on 4802, 8.2?

Thanks a loot - Grahame Brown

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Grahame, my advice would be to get the receiver that has the type of features you want and then get the external amp. This would give you the flexibility in the future to get a dedicated pre/pro. Unless you need the additional features that the 4802 would provide over the 3802, I think the sound quality you will hear a marked improvement with the external amp IMO.

3. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

This is actually my second post, since my first became a victim over the weekend. I will restate that is great to finally find a place to get some real input from other enthusiasts at the HTF rather than that of the salesperson hocking their own goodies. This spring I will be upgrading my receiver to incorporate new processing formats an ultimatly improve clarity, depth, and separation (my technics just doesn't cut it any more). I have Mirages all around - Om-10s L/R, C2 centre, R2 rears - and I want to make them sing ( mostly movies). Budget is approx. $3000 Canadian (Max $1500 U.S.)I have looked at denon 3802, integra 7.2, onkyo 797. These would leave me with enough $ to add a 2 channel amp (parasound HCA-1000). Good idea? Should I go with such a combo or spend extra money on 4802, 8.2?

Thanks a loot - Grahame Brown

4. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

here we go....