What's new

Time to upgrade my reciever... maybe seperates? (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully this wont be too much of a repeat for you guys, but I'd like to get some good info, and this is definately the place for mature opinions and info.
Well, the ol' refurb-o-rama, my first real home theater reciever, my JVC RX-6500V is about to bring me to tears as the weakest link in my system. (By a long shot now).
In the next few months, I'd like to step up... Here are my basic requirements: All the latest surround formats (including DTS ES and DD EX.. not so much DPL-II, but it would be nice), Enough clean power to get my JBL S-312s going, 3 optical inputs (more would be good if possible, because I'm sick of using my external swither, at least one set of multichannel analog inputs for my DVD-Audio (again, would prefer a second set in case I get a SACD player down the road), and at least 4 s-video inputs (this SHOULDNT be a problem in this price bracket i hope :D )
My big constraint is going to be budget... as per usual. I'd like to keep everything under $1500 if I could.
I think thats about it. I'm totally open to suggestion. Reciever to knock it all out in one package? New inexpensive reciever to use as a dedicated pre/pro with a solid seperate amp? Seperates? I'd prefer to do seperates IF it's possible to do so on my budget without sacrificing too much.
Just throw some ideas out here if you could... I can't use my current reciever as a pre/pro because it lacks 5.1 inputs OR outputs, so that's out. Thanks in advance (here's hoping)!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi John,
Go straight to www.crutchfield.com and check out all the Sony ES models both current and former. The site is one of the best info sites around on old and new models as they keep everything on their site, even models they no longer sell. You simply plug in the model number you desire up in the address box when viewing a current model and bingo...old data fresh as a daisy including pics. You can't beat it. Then you can shop it around.
I highly recommend the ES line as they offer quality amping to go with the processing you desire and a tremendous feature list for the money including multiple 6 and/or 8 channel inputs. I know of very few receivers out there offering the latter.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Paul.
I have been checking out the ES line a bit, and even though I've always hated Sony's low-end equipment, the ES line is starting to grow on me. Dual multi-channel inputs was what really caught my eye on those. Unfortunately I think by the time I'll want to pick one up the DA5ES will be a thing of the past... so can anyone tell me anything about the DA4ES? Any experience with it? Any known problems or bugs?
Still open to suggestion guys, so just keep it coming. :D

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
John,
With a couple of months to play with you should be able to make a very sound decision. I'm sure you'll pick up lots of feedback on the 4ES over time...and who knows, the 5ES on a closeout price somewhere out there in the meantime might spur you along. :D

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe so, Paul.

Some other stuff I'm considering thus far:

Denon 3802/3803 (when it comes out)
Marantz 7200 (although Ive heard lots of complaints here)
H/K AVR 520 (maybe not-- too few optical inputs for me)
Onkyo 797/898
Maybe an Outlaw 755 and a cheaper reciever as a pre/pro? I can't really find a decent true pre/pro for $500 or less... any suggestions?

So far the DA4-ES looks like my best bet as far as price and features go... or the 3802 (should be discounted heavily later in the year when the 3803 comes out), but I'm still considering everything. Anyone else care to venture a suggestion or an opinion on any of these?

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Okay found two more to add to the list of ones I should check out:

Rotel RSX-1055 and Yamaha RX-V2300 (not sure if the latter is out yet... I'm guessing the 2200 is its predacessor?)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
John,

I'm not pushing Sony. I use H/K. Like you I'm not a fan of Sony except in the ES line. But you are going to be hard pressed to find anything to exceed the capabilities of the 4ES and that also matches your preliminary criteria. While separates would be the best way to go, finding anything like what you can get in 4ES for that $ will be very difficult.

The other receivers you are considering are all very good to excellent but none of them serve as a one-in-all package for your stated needs. But then maybe you can live without two multi-channel inputs in which case virtually any of them would be more than adequate.

I hope you intend to give as many of your candidates as quality an audition as you can arrange.

Good Luck.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I can live without 2 multichannel inputs-- i'd just have to get a SACD player that also could handle DVD-A so I'd only need one. Not a big problem there.
I'm probably going to run into trouble finding one or two of those units around here. I may have to drive to Nashville or Atlanta to locate them all. I think it's almost certain I wont be able to line them ALL up and do a side-by-side of each one. :D
Anyone else care to post a reply?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
One last thing...there are multi-channel switchboxes available. I know people have bought a nice quality one off the web and this forum. Do a search. Also, Radio Shack AV switchers work nicely for less but still do the job.

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like the Sony 5ES is on sale at crutchfield right now for $999. Same as the 4ES. I dont think you can do any better at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks