What's new

Tidbits that don't deserve their own thread... (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm Chris, Vickie's husband, posting through her account...

The captures were each originally at their native resolutions:

1080 by 1920 for the HD image
480 by 720 for the DVD image

Each was then trimmed of black border. I then scaled the images to fix the aspect ratio - video images have non-square pixels. I hope this doesn't seem "dishonest", but if the images looked stretched it would bother a lot of viewers and make them think there was something "wrong". The resulting image sizes are 1080 by 796 for the HD capture, and 720 by 306 for the DVD capture. The scaling I used was Paint Shop Pro's "bicubic" resampling.

So, now we have the two files, each in something approximating native resolution (as close as seen on a computer screen). But just having two images of two different sizes doesn't really bring home the reality of the difference in detail. So Vickie picked particular small details from various HD images and cut them out. She then located the same detail on the DVD versions of the images. The DVD detail was resized to the HD detail size using Paint Shop Pro's "pixel resize" resampling.

Why? In order to show the actual pixel detail. If I had used "better quality" resampling it would have obscured the pixel detail. The idea was to show the effect of blowing up DVD resolution images to large screen sizes. This is exactly how one would compare a DVD and a HD movie. You wouldn't watch the DVD on a 13" screen, and the HD on a 55" one and consider it a fair comparison.

Anyway, I assure everyone that these details look like this when you look at each version on the same sized screen.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for that post Seth, it's all interesting, and I appreciate you typing it all up.

I thought it was easier to just let Chris have my acct. to type (it's the only time it's happened) rather than have his dictate to me over the phone. I was off watching a movie.

Brook, I'll keep an eye out for Rooster Cogburn. I've known about it, of course, just didn't know anyone who'd seen it and liked it.

Bigfoot? Hoo boy. (what year is is again?)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Chris: OK, I got the two images from your post, and selected (approximately) the same area from each. I then made sure I scaled the DVD image exactly 300%. This means every pixel of the original has been converted to *9* new pixels.
Say the original image was:
AB
CD
...the new version would be:
AAABBB
AAABBB
AAABBB
CCCDDD
CCCDDD
CCCDDD
This should answer any objections anyone would have about the images being softened by scaling. The disadvantage is that the two images are not exactly the same size, so I'm sure you wouldn't want to use these instead of the ones you are using. But you might want to post these in the thread at least once to answer any question.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Anyway, back to home canning...no, wait, different forum.
Westerns! (and/or "Westerns") I thought of a few more I like: The Outlaw Josey Wales, Jeramiah Johnson, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean and, oh my god, how could I forget my favorite movie for several years, LITTLE BIG MAN!!! (Oh, and Blazing Saddles!)
I'm getting ready to watch TGtB&tU and after that, Ox Bow. I went through my DirecTivo movie listings and saw that The Magnificent Seven and The Searchers will be shown soon, so they're set to record. Looks like TCM is having a Westerns month, there are tons of them coming up! I have so many other movies set to record, at least 20, that I can't add a bunch more unless I know they're superior, which is why I'm glad to have you guys around to help me out.
I love having eclectic taste in movies. I love that I can watch and enjoy For A Few Dollars More AND Mullholland Drive AND Under Siege AND Dersu Uzala AND Moulin Rouge And And And... I think most people on this forum are the same way. If a movie is good, it doesn't matter what genre or era or country it's from. A good movie is a good movie is a good movie.
Movies are wonderful things. I actually met someone once who didn't like movies. Not just could hardly ever watch them or was indifferent to them (both sad states in themselves) but actively DIDN'T LIKE THEM. The mind boggles.
Velveeta. HAHAHA!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>For A Few Dollars More when I realized that one of the bad guys is played by a very young Klaus Kinski! I had no idea.>I really love the music! I understand why Morricone is considered a god.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine took a Philips cassette recorder into the theater and recorded the sound track. That was somewhere around the dawn of the cassette age, it was small and cheap enough that even teenagers can do some causal pirating
That takes me back. I had a mini reel-to-reel and I taped the audio of the TV show The New People because I loved it so much. I lost them after the show went off the air. Never really got over that, really. :frowning:
I took a cassette recorder (with the piano keys and horrid pink plastic earphone) to Star Wars and taped the whole thing. I worked at a factory and played it endlessly. I knew every line, every sound effect, every breath by heart. Needless to say, I have no trouble imagining your friend doing that for such a great soundtrack.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I have a great idea for a thread: Name movies people call "great" but which put you to sleep. :)
(Sorry, a little editorial commentary there. That thread, mercifully, is fading fast.)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Hah, I just noticed that TCM is billing their Western extravaganza as the
Every Great Western*
*except Shane Film Festival.
:laugh: (I wonder what the deal with Shane is).
165 Westerns, 24 hrs a day every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in the month of November. Very cool.
Thi Them: The Ox Bow Incident is on TCM tonight. Be sure to watch that if you haven't seen it already.
OH MY GOD! I just finished watching this. What an incredible movie! I talked to my husband who's out of town, and he said it was required viewing at his school. Thank you SO MUCH for mentioning it!
Next up, The Magnificent Seven!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I watched The Magnificent Seven last night and I have a question. The musical theme (Bom BomBomBom, Bom Bom BomBomBom), I know I've heard it before, it's very familiar. I know I'd never seen this movie before though. Was it hijacked for a TV show that I must have seen, or it the theme just so entrenched in the culture that I've heard it referenced so many times over the years?
It's an interesting movie. For a Western it has a very hippyish, fanciful sensibility. Men just weren't this enlightened and generous in the Old West. I'll bet the hippies didn't go see it though, because of the violence. I know it's a remake of Kurasawa's The Seven Samauri (which, I shamefacedly admit, I haven't seen). How faithful is it?
Here's the remainder of TCM's schedule. If there are any "OH MY GOD, you CAN'T miss this" here, please speak up. (I have my Tivo set to record The Searchers) I already missed SEVERAL that I wish I'd seen, such as The Wild Bunch and 3:10 to Yuma. I didn't even notice this Western month until the MWNN trilogy the other day, and I didn't get interested in Westerns (as in trying to play catch-up) until then. I'm always a day late and a fistful of dollars short.
Hmm, for an All the Great Westerns except Shane film festival, I didn't see The Professionals on there anywhere. Isn't that considered a great Western?
Btw, about the non-Westerns on this list, I already have my Tivo set for Solaris, Little Women, Intermezzo and The Secret Garden. I've seen The Palm Beach Story, A Patch of Blue, His Girl Friday, A Christmas Story and a handful of others. Any suggestions there?
25 Monday
6:00 AM Strangers May Kiss (1931) A sophisticated woman risks her marriage for love of a ruthless schemer. Norma Shearer, Robert Montgomery, Neil Hamilton. D: George Fitzmaurice. BW 81m. CC
7:30 AM Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943) An Eddie Cantor look-alike organizes an all-star show to help the war effort. Eddie Cantor, Dennis Morgan, Joan Leslie. D: David Butler. BW 127m. CC
9:45 AM Thousands Cheer (1943) An egotistical acrobat joins the Army and falls in love with his commander's daughter. Gene Kelly, Kathryn Grayson, Judy Garland. D: George Sidney. C 126m. CC
12:00 PM My Forbidden Past (1951) A beauty with a skeleton in her closet seeks revenge on the suitor who jilted her. Ava Gardner, Melvyn Douglas, Robert Mitchum. D: Robert Stevenson. BW 70m. CC
1:30 PM Dragon Seed (1944) Chinese peasants fight to survive the Japanese occupation during World War II. Katharine Hepburn, Walter Huston, Agnes Moorehead. D: Jack Conway. BW 148m. CC
4:00 PM Deception (1946) A woman tries to protect her refugee husband from her rich and powerful ex-lover. Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains. D: Irving Rapper. BW 112m. CC
6:00 PM Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (1968) During a military reunion, three veterans discover they've been sending support payments for the same child. Gina Lollobrigida, Telly Savalas, Phil Silvers. D: Melvin Frank. C 113m. LBX CC
8:00 PM Lolita (1962) Vladimir Nabokov's racy classic focuses on an aging intellectual in love with a teenager. James Mason, Shelley Winters, Peter Sellers. D: Stanley Kubrick. BW 154m. LBX CC DVS
11:00 PM A Patch Of Blue (1965) A blind, white girl falls in love with a black man. Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters, Elizabeth Hartman. D: Guy Green. BW 105m. LBX CC DVS
1:00 AM Harper (1966) A broken-down private eye sets out to find a rich woman's missing husband. Paul Newman, Janet Leigh, Lauren Bacall. D: Jack Smight. C 121m. LBX CC
3:15 AM The Scalphunters (1968) A trapper and his educated slave track an outlaw band. Burt Lancaster, Ossie Davis, Telly Savalas. D: Sydney Pollack. C 103m. LBX
5:00 AM James Cagney: Top Of The World (1992) Michael J. Fox hosts this documentary featuring film clips and rare behind-the-scenes footage that traces superstar James Cagney's rise to the top. James Cagney, Michael J. Fox, Jack Lemmon. D: Carl Lindahl. C 47m. CC
26 Tuesday
6:00 AM The Rounders (1965) Two ne'er-do-well cowpokes look for sex and easy money in the modern West. Henry Fonda, Glenn Ford, Sue Ane Langdon. D: Burt Kennedy. C 85m. LBX CC
7:30 AM Dirty Dingus Magee (1970) A two-bit outlaw's attempts to strike it rich put him in conflict with a bungling sheriff. Frank Sinatra, George Kennedy, Anne Jackson. D: Burt Kennedy. C 91m. LBX
9:00 AM Mail Order Bride (1964) An aging cowhand tries to help a young rancher settle down by buying him a wife. Buddy Ebsen, Keir Dullea, Lois Nettleton. D: Burt Kennedy. C 83m. LBX CC
10:30 AM Welcome To Hard Times (1967) A broken-down sheriff tries to help his town stand against a mysterious outlaw. Henry Fonda, Janice Rule, Keenan Wynn. D: Burt Kennedy. C 103m. LBX
12:30 PM Tribute To A Bad Man (1956) A brutal rancher has to soften his ways to win the woman he loves. James Cagney, Irene Papas, Don Dubbins. D: Robert Wise. C 96m. LBX CC
2:30 PM Blood On The Moon (1949) A gunslinger hired to drive off a rancher falls in love with the man's daughter. Robert Mitchum, Barbara Bel Geddes, Robert Preston. D: Robert Wise. BW 88m.
4:00 PM Apache (1954) Refusing to accept peace, a renegade leads a one-man war against the U.S. Cavalry. Burt Lancaster, Jean Peters, Charles Bronson. D: Robert Aldrich. C 87m. CC
6:00 PM 4 For Texas (1963) Double-crossing outlaws go straight and become rival saloon owners. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Charles Bronson. D: Robert Aldrich. C 115m. LBX
8:00 PM The Searchers (1956) An Indian-hating Civil War veteran tracks down the tribe that slaughtered his family and kidnapped his niece. John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Natalie Wood. D: John Ford. C 119m. LBX
10:00 PM My Darling Clementine (1946) BW 97m.
12:00 AM Fort Apache (1948) An experienced cavalry officer tries to keep his new, by-the-books commander from triggering an Indian war. John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Shirley Temple. D: John Ford. BW 128m. CC DVS
2:15 AM She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949) An aging Cavalry officer tries to prevent an Indian war in the last days before his retirement. John Wayne, Joanne Dru, Ben Johnson. D: John Ford. C 104m. CC DVS
4:00 AM Rio Grande (1950) A cavalry unit located on the Mexican border must control Indian uprisings. John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Ben Johnson. D: John Ford. BW 105m. CC
27 Wednesday
6:00 AM His Girl Friday (1940) An unscrupulous editor plots to keep his star reporter-and ex-wife-from re-marrying. Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, Ralph Bellamy. D: Howard Hawks. BW 92m. CC
8:00 AM The Palm Beach Story (1942) To finance her husband's career, a married woman courts an eccentric millionaire. Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea, Mary Astor. D: Preston Sturges. BW 88m. CC
9:30 AM Monkey Business (1931) Four stowaways get mixed up with gangsters while running riot on an ocean liner. The Marx Brothers, Thelma Todd, Rockliffe Fellowes. D: Norman Z. McLeod. BW 77m.
11:00 AM Animal Crackers (1930) Three zanies try to recover a stolen painting during a madcap house party. The Marx Brothers, Lillian Roth, Margaret Dumont. D: Victor Heerman. BW 97m.
1:00 PM I Was A Male War Bride (1949) An Army woman stationed overseas tries to get her French husband back home. Cary Grant, Ann Sheridan, Marion Marshall. D: Howard Hawks. BW 105m.
3:00 PM Play It Again, Sam (1972) A recent divorce gets romantic advice from the ghost of Humphrey Bogart. Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Jerry Lacy. D: Herbert Ross. C 86m. LBX CC
4:30 PM It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) A group of greedy clowns tear up the countryside in search of buried treasure. Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar. D: Stanley Kramer. C 182m. LBX
8:00 PM The In-Laws (1979) The father of the groom drags the bride's father into a series of madcap adventures. Peter Falk, Alan Arkin, Richard Libertini. D: Arthur Hiller. C 103m. LBX CC
10:00 PM Father Of The Bride (1950) A doting father faces mountains of bills and endless trials when his daughter marries. Spencer Tracy, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Bennett. D: Vincente Minnelli. BW 93m. CC DVS
12:00 AM Period Of Adjustment (1962) A newlywed couple's honeymoon is disrupted by their friends' marital problems. Tony Franciosa, Jane Fonda, Jim Hutton. D: George Roy Hill. BW 112m. LBX CC
2:00 AM Excuse My Dust (1951) An inventor's new automobile could put his girlfriend's livery stable out of business. Red Skelton, Sally Forrest, Macdonald Carey. D: Roy Rowland. C 83m. CC
3:30 AM Hot Water (1924) A newlywed husband has in-law problems. Harold Lloyd, Jobyna Ralston, Josephine Crowell. D: Fred Newmeyer, Sam Taylor. BW 60m.
4:30 AM A Global Affair (1964) A U.N. official tries to locate the mother of an abandoned baby. Bob Hope, Yvonne De Carlo, Robert Sterling. D: Jack Arnold. BW 84m.
28 Thursday
6:00 AM The Plainsman (1936) Calamity Jane gets mixed up in an Indian War and the friendly rivalry between Wild Bill Hickok and Buffalo Bill. Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur, Charles Bickford. D: Cecil B. DeMille. BW 113m. CC
8:00 AM The Alamo (1960) Davey Crockett and Jim Bowie join the fight for Texas' independence from Mexico. John Wayne, Richard Widmark, Laurence Harvey. D: John Wayne. C 203m. LBX
11:30 AM Duel In The Sun (1946) A fiery half-breed comes between a rancher's good and evil sons. Jennifer Jones, Gregory Peck, Joseph Cotten. D: King Vidor. 144m. CC
2:00 PM How The West Was Won (1962) Three generations of pioneers take part in the forging of the American West. James Stewart, Henry Fonda, John Wayne. D: John Ford, Henry Hathaway, George Marshall. C 165m. LBX CC DVS
5:00 PM The Big Country (1958) Feuding families vie for water rights in the old West. Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston. D: William Wyler. C 167m. LBX
8:00 PM Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) A con-man signs on as sheriff for crooked purposes then goes straight. James Garner, Joan Hackett, Walter Brennan. D: Burt Kennedy. C 93m. LBX CC
10:00 PM Cat Ballou (1965) A prim schoolteacher turns outlaw queen when the railroad steals her land. Jane Fonda, Lee Marvin, Michael Callan. D: Elliot Silverstein. C 96m. LBX
12:00 AM Blazing Saddles (1974) A black sheriff takes on a corrupt town boss and a sultry saloon singer. Cleavon Little, Madeline Kahn, Gene Wilder. D: Mel Brooks. C 93m. LBX CC
2:00 AM The Paleface (1948) An inept dentist must rescue his outlaw wife from the Indians. Bob Hope, Jane Russell, Robert Armstrong. D: Norman Z. McLeod. C 91m. CC
4:00 AM Sam Whiskey (1969) A beautiful widow enlists three cowboys to help her unearth money her husband stole from the U.S. Mint. Burt Reynolds, Angie Dickenson, Clint Walker. D: Arnold Laven. C 97m. LBX
29 Friday
6:00 AM The Prince And The Pauper (1937) Rousing adaptation of the Mark Twain tale of a 16th-century prince who trades places with a lookalike peasant. Errol Flynn, Claude Rains, Billy and Bobby Mauch. D: William Keighley. BW 118m. CC
8:00 AM Boys' Town (1938) True story of Father Flannagan's fight to build a home for orphaned boys. Spencer Tracy, Mickey Rooney, Henry Hull. D: Norman Taurog. BW 93m. CC DVS
10:00 AM Little Women (1949) The four daughters of a New England family fight for happiness during and after the Civil War. June Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor, Peter Lawford. D: Mervyn LeRoy. C 122m. CC DVS
12:15 PM The Secret Garden (1949) An orphaned girl changes the lives of those she encounters at a remote estate. Margaret O'Brien, Herbert Marshall, Dean Stockwell. D: Fred M. Wilcox. BW & C 92m. CC DVS
2:00 PM Please Don't Eat The Daisies (1960) A drama critic and his family try to adjust to life in the country. Doris Day, David Niven, Janis Paige. D: Charles Walters. C 111m. LBX CC DVS
4:00 PM A Christmas Story (1983) An Indiana schoolboy dreams of getting a Red Ryder air rifle for Christmas. Peter Billingsley, Melinda Dillon, Darren McGavin. D: Bob Clark. C 93m. LBX CC DVS
6:00 PM Yours, Mine And Ours (1968) A widow with eight children marries a widower with ten, then gets pregnant. Lucille Ball, Henry Fonda, Van Johnson. D: Melville Shavelson. C 111m. LBX
8:00 PM Gigi (1948 - French) (1948) In this original French version, a young girl who has been trained to be a kept woman, sets out to reform the young man who wants to keep her. Daniel Delorme, Gaby Morlay, Yvonnede Bray. D: Jacqueline Audrey. BW 83m.
9:30 PM Solaris (1972) An alien intelligence infiltrates a space mission. Natalya Bondarchuk, Dontas Banionis, Juri Jarvet. D: Andrei Tarkovsky. C 166m. LBX
12:30 AM Intermezzo (1937) An innocent young pianist falls into an affair with a married violinist. Ingrid Bergman, Gosta Ekman, Inga Tidblad. D: Gustaf Molander. BW 92m.
2:15 AM La Cage Aux Folles (1978) A gay couple has to straighten out their act when their son gets engaged to a noted conservative's daughter. Ugo Tognazzi, Michel Serrault, Michel Galabru. D: Edouard Molinaro. C 96m. LBX
4:00 AM Diabolique (1955) A cruel man's wife and lover plot to kill him. Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot, Paul Meurrisse. D: Henri-Georges Clouzot. BW 116m.
30 Saturday
6:00 AM Wild Rovers (1971) An aging cowboy joins up with a beginner to rob banks. William Holden, Ryan O'Neal, Tom Skerritt. D: Blake Edwards. C 136m. LBX
8:30 AM Escape From Fort Bravo (1953) The Civil War complicates the Cavalry's battle against Indians. William Holden, Eleanor Parker, John Forsythe. D: John Sturges. C 99m. CC
10:30 AM Alvarez Kelly (1966) An FBI agent avenges his buddy's death by clearing up three related cases. Jay Adler, Claude Atkins, Suzanne Alexander. D: Arnold Laven. C 110m. LBX
12:30 PM Duel At Diablo (1966) Racial tensions flair when a black officer joins a Cavalry troop fighting the Indians. James Garner, Sidney Poitier, Bibi Andersson. D: Ralph Nelson. C 104m. LBX CC
2:30 PM Hour Of The Gun (1967) Wyatt Earp tracks down the survivors of the Clanton Gang after the gunfight at the OK Corral. James Garner, Jason Robards, Jr., Robert Ryan. D: John Sturges. C 101m. LBX
4:15 PM Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971) A con artist poses as a notorious hired gun. James Garner, Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Elam. D: Burt Kennedy. C 92m. LBX CC
6:00 PM Big Guns Talk: The Story of the Western (1997) Interviews and film clips re-create the glorious history of the American western. James Garner hosts. Interviews include Clint Eastwood and Tom Selleck. D: Len Morris. C 93m.
8:00 PM Pale Rider (1985) A mysterious avenger helps the innocent citizens of a corrupt gold-mining town. Clint Eastwood, Michael Moriarty, Carrie Snodgress. D: Clint Eastwood. C 116m. LBX CC
10:00 PM Two Mules For Sister Sara (1970) A wandering cowboy escorts a gunrunning nun through rough territory. Clint Eastwood, Shirley MacLaine, Manolo Fabregas. D: Don Siegel. C 105m. LBX
12:00 AM High Plains Drifter (1973) A mysterious gunman signs on to protect a small town from bandits. Clint Eastwood, Verna Bloom, Mitch Ryan. D: Clint Eastwood. C 105m. LBX CC
2:00 AM Hang 'Em High (1968) A mysterious drifter survives lynching then goes back for revenge. Clint Eastwood, Ed Begley, Inger Stevens. D: Ted Post. C 115m. LBX CC
4:00 AM San Antonio (1945) A reformed rustler tracks down a band of cattle thieves and tries to reform a crooked dance-hall girl. Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith, S.Z. Sakall. D: David Butler. C 109m.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm glad you liked The Ox-Bow Incident.

The main theme from The Magnificent Seven originated from the movie and is just entrenched in our culture just like you said. I believe there was a TV series based on the movie, so you could have heard it there before.

Magnificent Seven is very faithful to Seven Samurai, but I feel the latter is far superior.

The Professionals was shown a few weeks ago.

~T

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
From the dozen or so non-westerns I've seen on that list, I recommend Play It AGain, Sam and Lolita. Probably the only new non-western I'll be watching is Hot Water.

~T

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine took a Philips cassette recorder into the theater and recorded the sound track...it was small and cheap enough that even teenagers can do some causal pirating
is that one of those old-school recorders with the handle at one end? about the size of a shoebox?
when i was a kid i took one of those, propped it up against my sister's left speaker and hit record while playing her soundtrack from the movie "grease".
now that's casual pirating! :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Lew, The Naked Spur is going to be on Dec. 7 on TCM. I have it marked to record on my Tivo. Thanks for mentioning it!
I also had my Tivo get The Raven and I'll be watching that soon.
I just watched Tombstone, which I'd never seen. I liked it fine. I had another "Klaus Kinski moment" in that there was an actor I knew (not Kinski) but was so surprised to see him there I couldn't even place him. I knew all about Kurt Russell, Sam Elliot, Val Kilmer and some others, but had no idea that Billy Bob Thornton was in it! He was unrecognizable and it was only after replaying the scene a couple of times that it hit me who it was, and then only because of his distinctive voice. (For those who may not remember, near the beginning of the film, he was the saloon faro dealer, the one who cheated everyone and caused the saloon to nearly fail, until Wyatt comes along and tells him to vamoose. He then pulls a shotgun on Wyatt outside, but Doc tells him to run along.)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh, speaking of Tombstone. I saw this on another forum, it's what Doc and Ringo are saying to each other in Latin:
In vino veritas
(From wine, truth - "Wine loosens the tongue"
Aje Quod Ajis
(Do what you are doing - "Get back to business"
Credat judaea Apella, non ego
(Let the jew, Apella, believe it, not I - "Don't buy your own BS, I don't."
Iuventus stultorum magister
(Youth is the teacher of fools )
In pace requiescat
(Rest in Peace)
-Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo, Tombstone
Now, in context: Doc says, "I'm drunk, I'm talking too much." In agreement with Wyatt. Johnny Ringo says, "No, keep talking to me." Now that Doc is offended at Johnny's admonition, he counters with "Who do you think you're talkin' to boy, tell it to someone who'll buy, I ain't." Johnny now tells Doc that he's a fool and since Johnny's young and impetuous, he's going to prove that to Doc. Which Doc replies with the single-most effective threat in the movie, "Prepare to die."
(Posted by Arden Ranger on The Straight Dope forums)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I had a terrible time getting through The Searchers. I turned it off 3 times to go do something else. I kept going back to it because I was determined to finish it. I wanted to know what people are talking about when they reference it, and I wanted to be able to vote (against it) if it comes up in tournaments.
I suppose it's my 2002 sensibilities, and the fact that the first Western I truly fell in love with as a kid was Little Big Man (the book first, then the movie), which was my first awakening to the fact that white men did, after all, steal the Indian's land, destroy their culture and kill off entire tribes. The horrific racism and misogyny on display in The Searchers was very hard to take. I knew how it would end because, face it, Hollywood would NOT let "hero" JOHN WAYNE kill "America's Sweetheart" NATALIE WOOD , so there was no real suspense, just a lot of hatred on display. It is of its time, so what can you do? I just drank in the scenery and tried not to cringe too much.
Give me cattle barons, outlaws and railroad men as bad guys, I'd rather not see any more hatred towards Indians, thank you very much.
So, are there any John Ford Westerns that *aren't* about hating Indians?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Actually, with Tombstone, I got the exact opposite from "In vino veritas." I thought Wyatt was saying ease off Doc, he's drunk, and Doc replied in wine, truth. Aka a drunk man doesn't BS and tells the truth.

Thanks for translating the rest, I'd always wondered what they were saying.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Re: Searcher, It's been a LONG time, and I am sure there are a lot more people here that are more familiar with it than me, all that said, my memory is John Wayne wasn't really a "role model" type character, he was kind of a person that was consumed with hate and not necessarily real sympanthetic.
On John Ford's non Indian hating movies, off the top of my head: "The Man Who Shoot Liberty Valence - Wayne, Jimmy Steward and Lee Marvin", "My Darling Clemente - OK Corral flick with an unbeleivably hansome Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp".

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Vicki, you are not alone in your view of The Searchers. Revisionists all, really pile on this movie. I have to admit that by now, its one of those movies that I admire, but am uncomfortable watching.

At least Ford is upfront with the racist theme. Certainly I find this not so bad as the routine Westerns of the 40s and 50s where the Indians did not have to be painted as brute savages: it was understood by everyone that they were, so we could all cheer when the cavalry arrived. And, mostly I think it fair enough that a racist is portrayed as a racist. What bothers me even more, today, is the total disregard of women and any rights that they might have. The death before (or in this case after) dishonor intent of Wanye’s character, I find more off-putting than anything else. And, for me, this movie has a lot of off-putting things.

To be fair, I am probably more upset that I could not recognize the misogyny and racism when I saw the movie for the first time, rather than later (though even then the idea that you would just go out to kill Debbie, was unsettling, and seemed somehow, ‘not right’).

Thanks for the tip on the upcoming ‘Naked Spur’. Here you only have to get past Jimmy Stewart, being a bit of a psychopath.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks