What's new

THX DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a reciever with THX processing. Can you ONLY use the THX processing with DVD's that are in THX? Or is it all in the processor for THX and you can have this sound no matter what the DVD format is in?

Ned

Supporting Actor
It's only in the processor. Nothing special about THX dvd's (literally).

Ryan Solberg

Auditioning
i thought THX was only a quality standard that George Lucas made after StarWars came out(the first ones)..... they now have some sort of format or processor?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is no such thing as a THX processor. THX is a set of specifications and requirements for the particular item to meet, be it a DVD, receiver, speaker, etc...

THX mastering of a recording does not mean you need a THX certified system to make use of it.

The intro on M-INC is kind of different.
That intro is about 2+ years old, and is also mis-recorded on the DVD (I believe the LFE portion of the track is missing). Compare it to the same intro on the Toy Story 2 DD EX track on the disc in the Ultimate Toy Box set and you will hear what I am talking about.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I was wondering if a DVD can be THX Digitally Mastered and then not be THX certified?

I know that I like THX certified DVDs because I have yet to find one that sounds bad. It's like a little reassurance that the ppl at THX give it a thumbs up.

I like all the intros for THX, Dolby, and DTS. The worse intro I have ever seen is the "Welcome to Regal Entertainment" intro they show at Edwards theaters.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Chris:
The original Highlander DVD is generally regarded as on of the worst transfers on the market, despite THX certification.
Just wanted to mention that :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There is no such thing as a THX processor. THX is a set of specifications and requirements for the particular item to meet, be it a DVD, receiver, speaker, etc...
Wrong!
While there isn't a format like DD or DTS called THX,but there is THX post processing,which includes,timbre matching,decorolation,re-eq,and on the new THX Ultra2, there is boundary controll for the sub.
All THX receivers and pre/pros have these[except boundary controll,that requires THX Ultra2].
Having said that one can engage these modes on any software/decoding.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Most of those THX "features" were for DPL not DD/DTS. I think all it does now is the re-eq feature. Boundary control sounds rather dubious, one should setup a sub properly in the first place and use proper eq'ing if necessary. Some catch-all filter isn't going to work. I guess they had to add something to make THX seem important still.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Unfortunately (and this will sound bad), often the case is to look for DVD's that do not have THX to find the really good quality ones. I find that DVD's from certain studios yield better transfers consistantly rather than THX DVD's themselves.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
timbre matching,decorolation,re-eq,and on the new THX Ultra2, there is boundary controll for the sub.
OK, to clarify, these are FEATURES required for slect/ultra/ultra 2 cert. POST processing is not the same thing as a dedicated processor for a specific format, and as you already said, it will work with ANY software, NOT just THX material, which was the original question.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately (and this will sound bad), often the case is to look for DVD's that do not have THX to find the really good quality ones. I find that DVD's from certain studios yield better transfers consistantly rather than THX DVD's themselves.
I think LoTR is one of those DVD's. On my TV a PT51HX41 I normally listen to DVD's from 15-20 sometimes higher for some. But the LoTR I don't go higher than 11 and thats loud on my set. I guess I don't know if thats what you mean by good sound since I don't have a HT but their is quite a difference to me.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Boundary control sounds rather dubious, one should setup a sub properly in the first place and use proper eq'ing if necessary. Some catch-all filter isn't going to work. I guess they had to add something to make THX seem important still.
You got no argument from me there.I think the whole post processing is quiet dubious,but there is so much money invested into the marketing,that this "monster" may never go away!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks