What's new

Thoughts on the Sony STR-DE9? (1 Viewer)

MikeJason

Agent
I am looking at this receiver to be used in a relatively small room.:

SONY STR-DE997B

I know that it is not even Sony's top of the line series, but for around $330 I was considering it.

Is there realistically any noticeable sound difference to an untrained ear such as mine between this model and a higher model?

Thanks.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
well, I don't know much but I have the DE 597 a lesser model of your 997. I can't really compare it to the sound quality of anything else but I like it very much.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Compared to an ES, Yes. Although I am a big fan of Sony's receivers, I couldn't recommend the DE to anyone due to reliability problems. If you are wanting to only spend $300 bucks then reliability becomes a 2nd thought due to cost(I'm trying to be realistic..)

MikeJason

Agent
What kinds of reliability problems are you referring to?

Out of curiosity, where do the lower models lack in sound quality? Is it just less of a dynamic range?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Bloated power output meaning they didn't produce much. They still don't but its getting a little better. To me if I had to spend $300 and couldn't wait, then the new digital Panasonic receivers seem like a reasonable gamble to me. However I would wait and save up more $$. Sony's ES is leagues better but it costs more.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Put your $300 into another brand. IMO Sony's DE series always seem to have wimpy amp sections, in addition to the reported reliability issues already mentioned (they had this same problem when I sold them in the mid 90s). Onkyo, Panasonic, Yamaha, or Sherwood are the ones I would check out.

From what I've seen myself over the years mostly what you get for more $$$ is more power and features. But the sound itself hardly seems to change (among the same manufacturer's models). So unless you are using difficult-to-drive speakers--electrostatics; models with a 4 ohm resistance rating, etc--a $300 receiver from a decent manufacturer should sound perfectly fine. And if this is a bedroom or college apartment living room, you will probably never need to use even this class of receiver's full power output.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I think you could get something decent for your budget from Denon,Yamaha,HK or Onkyo that would be much better than the Sony.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I'd look around also. I had a DE (THOUGHT it was pretty decent). I sold it and bought a Sony STR-DB930 (some ES components). It may be replaced in my main HT room, but I quite possibly may never sell it!!

You might consider if Sony still makes the DB series (now called the QS, I think)? Try OneCall.com.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, never mind. I just found out, Sony did in fact stop making the DB or QS (at least in the US). At this point, if I went Sony, I'd go used DB/QS or only ES.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Update, I just verified (google search) that Sony does in fact still make the DB series, but for non-US sales. You might look around the net or call some dealers. Maybe somebody can hook you up with one? The latest model appears to be the STR-DB795? It's received some really good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks