What's new

thoughts on swan r2/r3 or c2/c3 (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I'm preparing budget to buy the swan speakers. Here is my line up:

1. 2.1 for mains
2. c2 for center
3. r2 for surrounds

my question is: do I need to get c3 or r3 instead? It's because, I'm currently using paradigm atoms and it is only 50w but I am able to fill my 25x19 ht room. But of course, low frequencies are sent to my 20-39 PCi sub.

So any thougths about C3 against C2 and R3 against R2 would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Neil

Joe Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,
I would highly suggest atleast getting the C3 center....it is a very nice speaker....of course I am biased(I have Swan Diva 5.1's & a C3)....but if you are thinking about spending more....get the better center speaker!!! I can't comment on the surrounds....as I don't have any

Joe

jephdood

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
The C3 has the extra dome midrange driver, larger main drivers, larger tweeter, higher power handling, larger cabinet, 8 Ohm vs. 4 Ohm... it's just a bigger (and IMO better) speaker at center.

I have it matched with 2.1s on a setup and I think they all go great together.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah..I will also recommend you getting the C3. It's an awesome center channel. Your room is fairly large you need to make sure you get the best center channel you can. At $349 for the black cherry version you can't go wrong.

I would bet that thing would hold up to some VERY expensive center channels.

It is WAY better than my Paradigm CC-370 which has always gotten great reviews.

TonyWright

Second Unit
I have the C3 and the R3 surrounds. I can't say enough good about them. The center is a great speaker. I am constantly pleased with it's performance. I agree with everyone else here in saying that the C3 would be a better choice as it is a bigger better speaker.

Tony Wright

TonyWright

Second Unit
David,

Thanks for the compliment! I am really enjoying my setup so far. I hope to be adding an SVS PB1+ very soon. Just have to do a little more wife convincing.

Then hopefully down the road I can add 3 Outlaw Model 200 M-Block amps for my front stage area. Then things will really be kickin!

Tony

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I'll tell ya....my wife actually loves the Swan's. She never really liked the "black box" look of the Paradigms I had. I never thought the looks of a speaker would make a difference. I thought hey if it's big my wife will freak out! Not true in my case....she thinks if they are big they better look good in the living room! The Swan's deliver in that area for sure!

TonyWright

Second Unit
I hear that! The Swans in rosewood are beautiful speakers. They are awfully expensive compared the the BC models though. I just couldn't justify spending the extra $$ on the rosewood.

Tony

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have the rosewood C3 for trial use...and a pair of BC 2.1's. Let me tell ya I think the BC version looks better! They look almost black and just have a classy and sleek look to them.

I'm not saying the rosewood looks bad...I just actually prefer the BC finish. Good thing they are cheaper too!

TonyWright

Second Unit
I agree with you on the BC. It is a really nice finish. Knowing myself though, I probably would have gone for the rosewood had I been able to justify the extra money. That said, I couldn't be more pleased with my setup. I still use the goofy white gloves to get the dust off of the black caps. :D

Tony

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Ha ha.....I got a special "duster" for mine.....what a geek I am!

You know what really floors me about the Swan's especially the 2.1's? Can you think of ANY speaker that costs $299 that looks and sounds as good?

I haven't heard every speaker under the sun...but I have heard a few bookshelves from the Pardigm Studio line as well as the B&W nautilus line. I really don't think there are any speakers on the market that have both the great looks and the great sound for such a low price........can anyone name one?

I realize looks are subjective...but I'm talking about a speaker with the grill off that doesn't look like a black box etc.

jephdood

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I ripped all mine a long time ago trying to get those tiny things on my hands. :)

Do you all have your grilles on or do you leave 'em off? I love the looks of everything exposed but I'm too afraid of dinging one of the cones.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with ya there Jeff....they look really cool with the grills off but I have a 3 year old so I take no chances with an "attractive nuisance".

He is really good though....he has never messed with any of my HT gear. However, shortly after I got the Swan 2.1's in I caught him trying to sing into the tweeter! He thought it was a microphone!

jephdood

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Ha! A star is born. Get him a little guitar to go along with that cabinet mounted mic. Start him early. :emoji_thumbsup:

I don't have any kids yet, but I've got cats that are just as curious as 3 year-olds and have sharper nails.

TonyWright

Second Unit
I have a horse of a black lab that loves to play. He worries me sometimes as he is quite clumbsy. Lot's of fun though. I generally leave the gilles on my speakers just to be safe. My wife likes them on better than off.

Completely agree on the price topic. These speakers are such an amazing value.

Tony

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I don't have Swans but I do have a good set up in Rockets which are not that much different. I would highly suggest the biggest Center that the offer. I have been through 4-5 different speaker systems in the last 10 years. Never have I heard one as clear as the Big Rocket Rc200 (called Bigfoot). I am positive the same would hold true for the Swans. The center is very important for dialog in movies. Since I have had this center there is no more turning the volume up and down 50 times during an action movie. You know down for explosions and up for dialog. I have a PB2+ as well so I am getting very loud bass. Anyway always get the big one if you can afford it or you will always wonder "what if". Plus its not that much more in price for something your going to keep for quite a long time I hope. I dont' plan on having to change speakers for a very long time this go around. I have learned some serious lessons the expensive way. Good luck
Mike L.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks